Notices

Anyine have a cold air intake on a 302?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2002, 03:02 PM
craigl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive got a 95 f-150 with a 302EFI. I looked and k&N does not make a fipk for my truck, has anyone been able to find cold air for thier 302? if so did you notice any gains or losses?? thanks for the help
-craig-

Old 02-16-2002, 04:59 PM
fortythree
Junior User

do you have a (1)mass air or (2)speed density intake setup?

Old 02-16-2002, 07:04 PM
craigl
New User

I think have a mass air setup. I have noticed a small sensor that goes into the air box and am not sure what it is. the air comes through a duct near the front of the hood then travels through the tubeing through the airbox then passes through a metal plate with a sensor on it before going to the engine.

Old 02-16-2002, 08:53 PM
fortythree
Junior User

K&N Part #57-2510-1 = FIPK for 5.0L 302 w/ mass air

you can go to www.intenseperformance.com and get a bigmouth filter for it

basically, what you are doing by going FIPK is removing the airbox and putting an open element cone filter on the end of the tube...

so right now your like this:

duct opening by hood > thru duct > into airbox > thru panel filter > out of airbox > thru single tube/duct with meter > into intake

after FIPK:

(no duct opening by hood)(no duct)(no airbox) open element air filter > conected to tube > thru single tube/duct with meter > into intake

the only reason it is called a kit is because they give you a bracket to mount the open element filter (and large diameter gear clamps for connecting the filter to the tube/duct)

(i work at a stainless steel fab shop (aluminum, galv, mild steel also) and had i known how it all worked i would have just bought a big filter and made the mounting assembly myself...)

cold air setup takes this a step further by going:
opening somewhere that can access cold air > into duct > thru cold air cone filter > conected to tube > thru single tube/duct with meter > into intake

the difference is just that an open element filter is taking in air from under the hood which isnt exactly cool...

if you could blow cold air directly at the open element filter all the time it would be much the same...

go here: http://www.intenseperformance.com/products/cone_filters/cone_filters.html

the powerstack filter is just like a FIPK, takes place of the air box and has a open end (inner filter) to allow for more air to be taken in

the big mouth filter is much the same (i dunno if it has open end tho)...

the quick cold filter is like the powerstack filter in that it has an open end, but the open end has a tube connected to it.. so you can put the opening of the tube somewhere where cold air can be blown thru the tube > thru the cone filter > thru single tube with meter into intake... it is also open element so will take in open air from the outside of filter and take in cold air (thru tube, thru inside of filter)...

now, where is cold air when it is 40 degrees celcius in the hot summer?.. nowhere!

i'm gonna try and make a small fridge to put in my front bumper (seriously)...
cut big opening in middle of bumper (4" x 12") > behind is a small refridgerated coil, enclosed by a rectangulr duct which would immediately taper to a tube which would run directly thru a cold air filter... if i can keep the duct square i will but it will be hard (square duct = better air flow)

thats the only thing i can think of to get cold air... actually... stupid me... air conditioner!!.. i will utilize it!..
(this is all just me thinking, i'm sure you can probably buy this as a complete kit)..

hope i helped a little

Old 02-18-2002, 07:46 PM
AlM
Posting Guru

Craig,
if you have this, it's a Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor; right after the air filter box

http://www.gillespieford.com/enter/flash/glossary/glos8.gif

Old 02-18-2002, 09:09 PM
craigl
New User

Thnks I thought thats what it was,just wanted to make sure. I am just beginning to lean how do do stuff on my truck so the help is appreciated.

Old 02-19-2002, 08:39 PM
craigl
New User

If i decide to change the air filter to a cold air kit, what do i do with the senso that is in the air box? Does it matter if it is hooked up or not?

Old 02-19-2002, 10:13 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By airbox, I think you are referring to the tube itself correct?!
The airbox is the box that contains the air filter itself. When you use a Cold ir Kit, or a K&N FIPK, you are removing that box. The tube runs from the mass air meter to the throttle body. The throttle body bolts to the engine and has the cable attached to it that runs to your accelerator.

When you use either a Cold Air Kit, or the FIPK from K&N, the inlet tube will still be connected. On the Cold Air Kits that I have seen, they come with their own inlet tube and the plug is in it also. The standard K&N FIPK kit utilizes the factory inlet tube, so the plug remains. On the 2nd Generation K&N FIPK, their tube replaces the factory tube, and has a place to plug into also.

It gets confusing when you first start learning about it, but I will try to help in anyway I can!

Old 02-20-2002, 07:50 AM
craigl
New User

The snesor i am refering to is located on the side of the air box. I understand with a cold air kit i would remove the air box, but what about the sensor in the side of it? Its on a 95 f-150 with the 5.0 Efi. Thanks for your help

Old 02-20-2002, 07:47 PM
fortythree
Junior User

i think you are referring to the breather...
sticking out of the side of your airbox you have a male nipple/hole.. connected to that is a rubber female 90 degree connector which is also connected to a long narrow metal tube which runs straight towards your engine... from the end of that tube is a rubber flex hose which is fit around the male nipple/hole coming from where you pour oil into your engine (correct?)... that is just a breather... the FIPK comes with a rubber flex hose and the propper gear clamps and fittings to run a breather from your new open element filter to your where you pour oil into your engine.

Old 02-20-2002, 08:08 PM
craigl
New User

I just looked at the air box, it has a small senor connected to the side. I took the sensor out it is about 4" big and has a small ornage tip on it.( kind of looks like a spark plug that is stuck into the side of the air box, it is part of the wiring harness that goes to the MAF) Could this be some kind of temp sensor for the air box??? i dont want to take it off untill i know what it is and what it does.

Old 02-25-2002, 03:11 PM
craigl
New User

Bump

Old 02-26-2002, 01:48 AM
weldman
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post