1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Interested in 5.4L SD Doug Thorley headers?
Yes, interested, would buy them.
88.00%
No, not interested.
12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Quality Long-Tube Headers for SD w/ 5.4L Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
even though i have gibson stock replacement headers and custom y on my 04 350 already id buy a set if they gave me more low end grunt for pulling my work trailer.
I agree... A well designed "header system" should yield the best performance!

Old 02-18-2009, 08:26 PM
pony
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd be very interested in a set of headers.....especially if the exhaust manifold bolt problem that I've been reading about in the forum happens. If I've got to pay to have the bolts replaced might as well go for headers while they're down there.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Originally Posted by cowboyup1988
i've been looking at getting headers for my 2004 F-250. i put a gibson cat-back on and it sounds good. i want to put headers on cause i heard you get more power and improved gas mileage. i just don't know what the difference between them is... tri-y, shorty, long tube...confusing to me cause i don't know much about it...could someone please explain and let me know what the best set-up would be. and what's the deal with changing the y pipe? that help as well?
I'm no expert but I'll do my best to describe the three headers in question.

Shorty headers are generally designed to connect to the OEM Y-pipe and are probably the most popular, least expensive, and easiest to install. They generally provide modest improvements because most shorty headers are not "tuned" and have OEM collector diameters.

Here is a pic of a shorty header:

Long-tube headers are generally not designed to connect to the OEM Y-pipe and therefore require additional parts and labor to install. They are more expensive because of more material is used in the fabrication. Many long-tube headers are "tuned" which helps in scavenging. Long-tube headers may have larger collectors that the OEM diameter.

Here is a pic of a long-tube header:

Tri-Y headers are similar to long-tube headers in that they have longer tubes, larger diameter collectors, and require additional parts and labor. The real difference is in the way the tubes merge to the collector. The tubes of a long-tube header merge to a single point (4 into 1). The tubes of a Tri-Y header merge to three points. For a V8 engine, cylinders 1&2 merge to a single point (A) and cylinders 3&4 merge to a single point (B). Then a tube runs from points A & B to another single point (C). I have heard that Tri-Y headers provide the best performance across the entire RPM spectrum.

Here's a pic of a Tri-Y header:

I hope that this helps...

Old 02-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Originally Posted by pony
I'd be very interested in a set of headers.....especially if the exhaust manifold bolt problem that I've been reading about in the forum happens. If I've got to pay to have the bolts replaced might as well go for headers while they're down there.
Yeap! Labor is expensive so you might as well replace old worn out or inferior parts while doing the job.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:51 PM
jdboy
Senior User
I would be interested if the price is under a grand, had good tubing thickness, and quality thick flanges.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:03 PM
cowboyup1988
Senior User
so the best thing to get would be tri-y headers. i would most likely have to replace my Y-pipe then i assume... am i right?

Old 02-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Originally Posted by jdboy
I would be interested if the price is under a grand, had good tubing thickness, and quality thick flanges.
Tuned too!

Old 02-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Originally Posted by cowboyup1988
so the best thing to get would be tri-y headers. i would most likely have to replace my Y-pipe then i assume... am i right?
Yeap... or have it modified to connect to the header.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:10 AM
jdboy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Furian
Tuned too!
Good point!

Old 02-19-2009, 09:19 AM
the_justin
Senior User
Originally Posted by Furian
That is very interesting... the opposite of truck offerings here in the South. The vast majority if Super Cab and Crew Cab trucks are diesel in North Carolina. What do you think is the reason for the popularity of the 5.4L in Alaska?
Might have something to do with the weather. I remember this last winter we had a several week stretch of temps ~ 20 below zero (then the next week it went to 40 degrees, literally a 60 degree change in one day, we've had a weird winter!) It probably gets tiresome plugging and unplugging in the diesel everytime you think it will be cold and then waiting/hoping for the truck to start in the morning. Gas prices may be a factor, its still pretty expensive here, unleaded gasoline is ~ 2.35 a gallon, and diesel is a buck more at ~ 3.35, so filling up that diesel 38 gallon tank would be quite a chunk of change.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Well, I emailed Nick Thompson at DTH and hope to hear back from him regarding the long-tube headers. I'll keep you updated!

Old 02-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Originally Posted by 303soul
I think many would be interested as long as the long tubes could be used with a catalytic converter, because SDs are heavy trucks and further decrease in fuel economy would not make it a welcome upgrade.
I agree! I will definitely be running high-flow cats for environmental reasons. I'm thinking that a mid-length Tri-Y header that allows for cats and direct connection to the OEM mid-pipe may be the best overall design. BTW, I also posted this thread in the Super Duty forum and have received a great response. I going to copy your post in the other thread because DTH will be reviewing the thread for consideration to produce the requested header. Thanks!

Old 02-21-2009, 10:58 AM
FTL40
Senior User
i think it would also help people make decisions if they had before and after dynos

Old 02-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Originally Posted by FTL40
i think it would also help people make decisions if they had before and after dynos
Absolutely! It's easier to justify spending $$$ on an aftermarket part if you know that you're going to pick up some serious HP/TQ.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:37 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Thread was closed, but now has been reopened.

Just wanted to clear it with the management to make sure this didn't conflict with any of FTE's policies.

Thorley is a sponsor, and they make a good product.

Have at it!

And Furian, feel free to bump this every day or two to make sure it gets the visibility it deserves.

Quick Reply: Quality Long-Tube Headers for SD w/ 5.4L Engine