Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Performance Parts questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Duck Hunter81
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Parts questions

The wife finally gave me permission to add some performance parts to the truck so I have some questions for everyone.

I am looking at a chip, guages and exhaust (already have cold air intake).

First question:
Should I get seperate guages and chip or should I get a monitor (ex. Edge Evolution) and which are the best for around $400-600 (chip and guages or monitor)?

Second question:
I am looking at a single outlet exhaust. How much does a 5" benefit me over 4"? I don't do a ton of heavy towing. Also is the 5" going to be louder than the 4"? I don't want to drop a bunch of money ($300-500), so what are some good choices (MBRP, silverline, AFE)? I heard about a company called Heartthrob, do you know anything about their product good or bad (I think they are sold by JC Whitney)?

What are the best products in my price range and where is the best places to find these (if you know off the top of your head).

Old 02-14-2009, 10:29 AM
randomhero1172
Posting Guru
Ill make it simple
6627 air intake mod
Cheapest 4" exhaust you can find (all the same crap, dont get SS. Its only a show piece. Diesel exhaust gets so hot that most moisture evaporates before oxidization)
and tuner DP tuner ONLY! its the best and what everyone uses.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:34 AM
03F2507.3
Senior User
Most of our sponsors on the board offer all that you are looking for. I have ordered from most of them and had good luck with everything I bought.

Question 1: My .02 is that seperate guages are far superior to an "all in one". Trans temp, Egt, and boost are the three most of us started with. The new Isspro package is pricey but awesome. Otherwise Autolite, Dipricol, etc are all fairly similar. Save your money and get a custom tuner, they are also well worth the money.

Question 2: I went to a local muffler shop and had them fabricate and install my exhaust. The cost was $550.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:35 AM
nissandoc
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my 4" exhaust off of ebay about 4 years ago for $265. Turbo back and aluminized steel. I dont see the need to spend a bunch on this. I got the guages and pod from Diesel Manor. If I had it to do over I woulda bought DiProcols instead of autometer. Dp tuner is the choice for most on here.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:35 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For the exhaust the 5" is louder than the 4" and from what I have heard sometimes it can be a bugger to install. A 4" MBRP ,IMO, is the best bang for the buck. One of our member- sponsers Clay Riff Raff Performance has some great pricing. on everything.
Guages I perfer the 3 pod pillar mount with boost,EGT, and Tranny Temp.
As far as a tuner go with a DP or a Tony Wildman. These are custom tuned to your truck. I have a DP Tuner and love it.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
If you have to keep a budget you could simply straight pipe the stock exhaust.
It will sound like a gas engine with quiet glass packs and 90% remove all back pressure so your EGT will be a lot lower.
Then get gauges, and a chip.
The 5 inch "Cannon" exhaust is easily louder than the 4" but it really has a nice deep tone to it.