2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Trailer wiring??

Old 02-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Pilgrim
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer wiring??

Have an '08 with the factory class IV hitch. Brochure says it has 4 & 7 pin connectors and brake hook-ups. I can only see a flat 4pin and the brake wire. Where is the 7pin?? Do some not have it? Can I add it easily? Thanks.

Pilgrim

Old 02-09-2009, 07:50 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look where the jack is.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Pilgrim
Mountain Pass
Nothing there. Mine is a US model and the brochure I have is for a Canadian model. Seems the trailer towing package is only standard on the Canadian models. Owners manual says it's optional on this one. Only the 4 pin connector is standard. I'd like to at least have the 7 pin connector so it hooks to the trailers I have with 7 pin.
Pilgrim

Old 02-10-2009, 07:51 AM
clearnetedm
Junior User
Yes I think your right. The other way to tell is if you have the extra tranny cooler that comes with the tow packadge.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:30 AM
chuck s
Elder User
You have the Class III system, not the Class IV or HD Towing Option.

There should still be an electric brake controller under the dash and the blue wire should be back by the hitch "blunt cut, dipped, and taped." Any RV dealer will have the required round 7-pole adapter kit that will plug into the 4-pole boat trailer socket and have pigtails for the other connections.

HD Tow has all poles in the connector active, fused, and relay protected. I'll have to search to see if I have the wiring diagram.

According to the Ford Towing Guide HD Tow boosts maximum towing capacity from an Explorer-like 6000 pounds to 9000 pounds. You must install the HD transmission radiator to get this boost in capacity. Also includes the wiring harness and a larger engine coolant radiator. At least one forum member had the transmission and engine radiators fitted at his Ford Dealer, they're standard parts. I recall he has a "Chevy" style forum name. Use the search function.

-- Chuck

Old 02-12-2009, 07:25 AM
Pilgrim
Mountain Pass
Thanks Chuck (and others). I actually just made and installed the component you described last night from parts I had here on the shelf. I didn't connect the two 12 volt wires, though, so I actually have what acts like a 5 pin. I'm curious about the blue wire, though.? I didn't connect the "blunt cut, dipped, taped" wire yet. Are you telling me that if I simply connect it, my brakes will work? Don't I need to buy a controller box and install it in the cab? Or, are you saying (There should still be an electric brake controller under the dash) there already is one hidden under the dash somewhere??

The hitch itself is marked "Class IV 6000lbs". I don't plan to install the larger rad and likely not the cooler, either. I have a heavy truck for towing, but just want the option to use a light trailer if the need ever arises. I have all my trailers converted to 7 pole plugs just for convenience sake, so I wanted to put 7 on the Expedition as well.

Thanks again for your input.

Pilgrim

Old 02-12-2009, 07:46 AM
heymrdj
Posting Guru
You have to supply the brake controller. Tekonsha I recommend you spend the extra $$$ on the proportional model instead of the inertia based. The P3's seem to be the most common. There's a connector under your dash. You order a brake controller, and that companies harness (the harness will plug in to your connector under the dash, and into their product). http://www.tekonsha.com/files/Vehicl...s%20042308.pdf From that chart you want part number 3035P. That's your wiring harness.

The blue wire must be plugged into your 7pin for this to work by the way :P.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:58 AM
chuck s
Elder User
Yep you need to connect the blue wire. It connects under the dash board to the brake controller interface. If you get the Teknosha Prodigy or P3 with the $10 extra cost cable it just plugs in.

I've run both Prodigy and P3. The P3 fits my dash better. Here's where she plug in. (The blue device is a data capture thru the OBD2 port.)

-- Chuck

Old 02-13-2009, 06:01 AM
chuck s
Elder User
Add on:

If you think your towing package is marginal from a cooling standpoint fit a gage to monitor the temperatures.

This just plugs into the ODB2 Port.

-- Chuck

Old 02-19-2009, 10:49 PM
chevy24d
Freshman User
Hey Chuck,

I see pilgrim is all set, but if anyone needs more info on wiring all the wires for the 7 pin, let me know.

By the way, how much does that gauge go for? Where is the obd port located on our trucks? What is required to get the data - is it a simple plug-in?

Thanks,

Mark ("Chevy to Ford" ---- chevy24d)

Old 02-20-2009, 11:21 AM
emt932359
New User
I highly recommend the P3 controllel, works very well. You can convert the 4 pin to the 7 pin with a simple adapter kit. I did it on my 07 and works just fine. Be sure you have a good ground and very tight and moisture free connection for the trailer brake (blue wire), otherwise it will cause the trailer brakes to short occasionly. (learned the hard way)

Old 02-21-2009, 03:20 PM
chuck s
Elder User
The Ford version of the Interceptor runs $239.

The OBD2 port is directly under the steering column and shows the first photo of my 13 Feb message. There's a transparent blue data capture module connected to it.

-- Chuck

Old 02-22-2009, 08:22 PM
chevy24d
Freshman User
Originally Posted by chuck s
The Ford version of the Interceptor runs $239.

The OBD2 port is directly under the steering column and shows the first photo of my 13 Feb message. There's a transparent blue data capture module connected to it.
Thanks
Mark

Old 08-10-2020, 07:58 AM
08ExpdKR
New User
Chevy24d, I need some wiring help.

I have an 08 Expedition King Ranch, with factory 4 pin hookup. I bought a brake controller and installed to factory hookup under dash. In the factory wire bundle I see five wires, four to the trailer plug and the fifth, blue one. I can connect the blue to my 7 pin harness, and, if I have to, I can splice the reverse light wire into the truck's own reverse lights. But what about the power/12v/ black wire? My friend's 2008 F-150 with Triton 5.4 motor, if you added a fuse and relay, his seven pin trailer hitch would supply power to the trailer (to charge camper batteries). I have the same fuse/relay boxes and spots, but where would I find the power wire to those fuses/relays?

Old 08-12-2020, 08:03 PM
08ExpdKR
New User
Originally Posted by chevy24d
Hey Chuck,

I see pilgrim is all set, but if anyone needs more info on wiring all the wires for the 7 pin, let me know.

By the way, how much does that gauge go for? Where is the obd port located on our trucks? What is required to get the data - is it a simple plug-in?

Thanks,

Mark ("Chevy to Ford" ---- chevy24d)
Mark, can you see my post at the bottom? Do you know where the 'factory' 12v/power wire is? Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trailer wiring??