2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any brand of spark plug can have a bad batch now and again. Champions have been around forever and thru the years have been excellent spark plugs. At least you can remove them without breaking them off so that a good one can be installed in its place. And there are far more happy outcomes using Champion 7989's than bad ones.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:08 PM
Djack04F150XL
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had Champions for 29,000 miles and I'm very pleased with them. I always used Motorcraft or Autolite but after I broke 7 on my first change I had to change to Champions.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:49 PM
Will Willard
New User
I haven't tried replacing mine yet, But I was told to use Kano Aerokroil Penetrating Oil and a torque wrench, and not to go over so many pounds of torque to prevent breaking them. He said once you reach that specific torque if they don't move then STOP and soak them with this oil and wait longer. I don't know if this is right or not. I do trust this mechanic though. I see all these are old posts. If anyone has any new info please post it. I need a update. If anyone out there in cyber space sees my post let me know something man. Is this still a problem? My truck is a 2006 4.6 liter. I'm looking at a 2013 now. Have they addressed these problems on the newer models?

Old 08-29-2014, 06:49 AM
jsoko
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Will Willard
I haven't tried replacing mine yet, But I was told to use Kano Aerokroil Penetrating Oil and a torque wrench, and not to go over so many pounds of torque to prevent breaking them. He said once you reach that specific torque if they don't move then STOP and soak them with this oil and wait longer. I don't know if this is right or not. I do trust this mechanic though. I see all these are old posts. If anyone has any new info please post it. I need a update. If anyone out there in cyber space sees my post let me know something man. Is this still a problem? My truck is a 2006 4.6 liter. I'm looking at a 2013 now. Have they addressed these problems on the newer models?
did you tell this mechanic your '06 F150 has a 4.6L engine ???

if you did, you better find another mechanic

Old 08-29-2014, 10:15 AM
Will Willard
New User
Does it matter if its the 4.6 or the 5.4 liter? Do they have different plugs. I know this penetrating oil is probably the best that has ever been created on planet earth. My own dad (now deceased) who was a mechanic for caterpillar told me that this oil would creep uphill in to threads that had been welded by rust since WW2. Years Later I was told this was the only way to go on these plugs. He said if they don't break free than keep spraying and waiting longer. This coming from A 72 year old Mechanic, and also my personal mechanic who is the most trusted mechanic in southern Okla. Even dealerships have gone to this guy for advise. My factory plugs have 150,000 miles on them so while they may break trying to remove them they aren't complete S--t. Im still not having any issues with them and will keep driving it lol. I just wonder if anyone has tried this yet. At this many miles I may just sale it and buy a new one and not worry about the plugs.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:21 AM
jsoko
Senior User
yes it matters, that's what surprised me about your mechanic
the plug issue was solved in Oct. of '07
KROIL is one product that does what it claims, I've used it on steam condensate pipe

folks have been using all types of penetrating oil
I prefer the MotorCraft carb cleaner in the red can
it's not so much the threads, but the electrode shield that gets stuck from carbon build-up that causes the breakage
the carb cleaner turns the hard carbon to goo
patience is your best tool

Old 08-29-2014, 10:30 AM
Will Willard
New User
Kind of confusing me, I read your first comment about getting a different mechanic before you edited it. Okay so from reading the thread I see this problem affects both the 5.4 and 4.6/ so I don't understand why that matters. And if it was solved in 2007 then why are some of the posts all the way up to 2010. Then you asked me if my 2006 4.6 was a 3 valve??? I'm more confused than ever! did they make anything else but a 3 valve that year? Sorry for all the questions man. Im new at this thing.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:34 AM
Will Willard
New User
okay, thanks man.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:05 AM
Will Willard
New User
Just to let people know. And while I am no mechanic at all, I do now currently have 155000 miles on my factory plugs and still going strong. So if I go back with factory original plugs and they last this same amount of time then this truck will never ever outlast this second set of oem plugs. The truck would have approximately 310,000 to 400,000 miles if it did. I think this adds to the conversation. I still get approx. 400 miles out of a tank of fuel. And I did use Lucas gas treatment for a lot of these miles. My truck now sometimes dies at a stop sign or when I come to a stop its been doing this for a long while, It does start right back up. That problem is what led me to this thread. I don't know if its plugs, crank position sensor, or coil pack. Ill let you folks know what I find out. Any and all advise is welcome.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:28 PM
exranger06
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The 4.6 NEVER had a problem with plugs breaking, that problem was only for the 5.4 3 valve.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:37 PM
jsoko
Senior User
Originally Posted by exranger06
The 4.6 NEVER had a problem with plugs breaking, that problem was only for the 5.4 3 valve.
I wonder if his mechanic knows this ???

see Post # 48 & #50

[QUOTE: and also my personal mechanic who is the most trusted mechanic in southern Okla. Even dealerships have gone to this guy for advise."]

Old 08-29-2014, 01:40 PM
Will Willard
New User
Originally Posted by jsoko
I wonder if his mechanic knows this ???

see Post # 48 & #50

[QUOTE: and also my personal mechanic who is the most trusted mechanic in southern Okla. Even dealerships have gone to this guy for advise."]
I can assure you that if the 4.6 doesn't have this problem then this guy definitely knows this. I haven't asked him if the 4.6 has this problem. But when I first bought the truck I friend of mine who owns the auto parts store here in town warned me of this problem. This was in 2006 and 155,000 miles ago. I wasn't worried about it back then. But I always remembered what I was told. I brought it up to my mechanic and he said if I was worried about it to use the oil I mentioned and a torque wrench. Which sounds like good advise to me. I was under the impression that both of these motors had this problem, and I assumed (my bad) that they both had the same OEM plugs, again my bad. I'm going to just sale it and buy a new one. Do the 2013, 2014, 2015 models have these problems? I appreciate all this advise folks, I'm no mechanic. But I'm sure you can now see why I was so confused. Nevertheless these questions I had definitely added to the thread.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:49 PM
jsoko
Senior User
. Do the 2013, 2014, 2015 models have these problems?
that's a whole different can of worms

some hate the EcoBoost some hate the 5.0

best do a lot of research
and try the SEARCH function

good luck with your choice

PS: your Truck is a 2 valve and uses standard plugs

Old 08-29-2014, 02:26 PM
Will Willard
New User
Do they still have the same 4.6 to offer that came in my first truck. If so then I will just go that route. The only reason Im selling is because I want a 2013 econoline van (E250) that I can use for camping. I don't have one bad thing to say about the 4.6 personally. I have used and abused it for all these years not even changing oil when I should. The only thing I have done is change 1 alternator and 2 battery's. I even hauled a 2100 pound truck camper on it from Oklahoma to the west coast and back. Its been a tough little work horse. Who knows how long it may have lasted if Id changed the oil on time to keep it clean. Its still runs great. Just every once in a while it dies when I stop at a stop sign. Been doing that off and on for 2 years. That's what got me studying the spark plugs.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:55 PM
jsoko
Senior User
Do they still have the same 4.6 to offer that came in my first truck. If so then I will just go that route. The only reason Im selling is because I want a 2013 econoline van (E250) that I can use for camping. I don't have one bad thing to say about the 4.6 personally. I have used and abused it for all these years not even changing oil when I should. The only thing I have done is change 1 alternator and 2 battery's. I even hauled a 2100 pound truck camper on it from Oklahoma to the west coast and back. Its been a tough little work horse. Who knows how long it may have lasted if Id changed the oil on time to keep it clean. Its still runs great. Just every once in a while it dies when I stop at a stop sign. Been doing that off and on for 2 years. That's what got me studying the spark plugs.
Start another Thread in the correct section

your answer is no
we have hyjacked this thread long enough

Quick Reply: Broken Spark Plugs