Sponsored by: Moser

Why Keep Dissing the New F150?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
Nice rebuttal (spelling), and thank you. Your opinion definately broadens my point of view but it doesn't really change my opinion that the '09 options groups are too restrictive. I hope as the model matures Ford will loosen up a little.

Not attempting to insult anyone's post '97 rigs as I previously illustrated. My main concern is with the post '97 4x4 system. I've heard and read many stories and FTE posts about vacuum lines freezing, T-case motors failing etc. My '88 dinosaur has 194k on it and aside from greasing front bearings and changing ATF in the T-case I've never done anything to the 4x4 system.

The current F-150's are most definately soup to nuts better built and more capable than anything that Ford has built, but will they last. I say yes, but they're too new to tell.

You can easily assume by my sig that my vehicle purchases are very methodical and deliberate. I don't buy on a whim. I expect my vehicles to last 10 years or 200k, which ever comes first. Don't be insulted if I seem too nit picky, it's because I am. I want what I want.

You said yourself that your not moved enough by the '09 to sell your '07.

BTW, I couldn't care less that GM dropped the solid front axle or any variation thereof. If I was like my dad and thought GM was the best built truck, then that's what I'd drive. I'm more like my grand dad, he always had Fords.

Tim

I understand your point of view....but trucks have evolved....ford has to make what sells...and even in the 90's...what percentage of trucks had the auto hubs and electronic transfer case vs. manual hubs and stick transfer case....they just can't make money on them that way (by the way...the 90's electronic transfer case had alot of problems....the auto hubs of those days HAD WAY MORE problems than the iwe's of today)....and....I dont think you can say they are too new to tell......people drive way more now than they did in the 90's with trucks.....heck...when i bought my first truck they had racked up 100,000 miles in 8 years.....I've racked up 80,000 miles in 3 years on the two trucks i've had....look how many 04-05's are on the road with 130,000 miles or more....

And nope...the 09 doesn't do enough for me to take a 10,000 dollar or so hit....If i needed a new truck tomorrow...i'd buy an 09...i like the tranny...i like the nav radio...and i like the bigger rear seat....I like the tailgate...but really those are the only things that matter much to me on the new one...

And...i find it too ugly for me to like....the capabilities aren't that much different than mine....(i can tow 9,000 lbs already....i don't need the extra 1000).....frames are just about the same strength...brakes are pretty much the same...power and mileage are about the same.......so I can't see 10,000 to get a new one...that said...If i had a 90's or 2001....maybe i would pull the trigger....

Now i digress..I don't even remember what my point was anymore....

Hurm....oh well.....

Old 02-03-2009, 04:06 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,252 Likes on 822 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl
I understand your point of view....but trucks have evolved....ford has to make what sells...and even in the 90's...what percentage of trucks had the auto hubs and electronic transfer case vs. manual hubs and stick transfer case....they just can't make money on them that way (by the way...the 90's electronic transfer case had alot of problems....the auto hubs of those days HAD WAY MORE problems than the iwe's of today)....and....I dont think you can say they are too new to tell......people drive way more now than they did in the 90's with trucks.....heck...when i bought my first truck they had racked up 100,000 miles in 8 years.....I've racked up 80,000 miles in 3 years on the two trucks i've had....look how many 04-05's are on the road with 130,000 miles or more....

And nope...the 09 doesn't do enough for me to take a 10,000 dollar or so hit....If i needed a new truck tomorrow...i'd buy an 09...i like the tranny...i like the nav radio...and i like the bigger rear seat....I like the tailgate...but really those are the only things that matter much to me on the new one...

And...i find it too ugly for me to like....the capabilities aren't that much different than mine....(i can tow 9,000 lbs already....i don't need the extra 1000).....frames are just about the same strength...brakes are pretty much the same...power and mileage are about the same.......so I can't see 10,000 to get a new one...that said...If i had a 90's or 2001....maybe i would pull the trigger....

Now i digress..I don't even remember what my point was anymore....

Hurm....oh well.....
Sir, thank you for the dance, I've always respected and looked forward to your posts.

It ticks me off when a thread such as this is started and someone gets thier panties all pulled up to thier chest over another person's opinion. I'm not refering to Ryan. Your reply was well thought out and made perfect sense.

To be honest with you, I've never ordered a truck and probably never will. I've been satisfied with what I've found on the dealer's lot. With that said, I still believe that when a person spends big bucks, he/she should be able to get just about what they want. I've never been in the auto industry and I don't really know how it all works. But in my mind, it shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience to drop a 5.4L in an STX or offer all paint colors on all trim lines. As an exqample, I don't care if the STX is a base model truck. I'm willing to pay for the engine and the LS axles. I don't want an STX, I actually want a little equipment and I'm WILLING to pay for it. That's my point. The shame of it is, I may have to get the SD to get what I want.

One thing I've learned over the past 12 months of membership on FTE, if you not ready to handle the truth, accept different opinions or you have a thing skin, then don't ask the question.

Tim

Old 02-03-2009, 05:13 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Here is partially why they don't offer a 5.4 in a stx....

its all about getting you into the better models...where there is more profit....

a platinum and a xl crew cab.... both can have the same engine and tranny...same axles...and same 4wd system.....both have seats...a bed...a tailgate...doors....ect.

But...you'll pay 20,000 more for a platimum to get maybe an additional 10,000 dollars of goodies...electronics...leather....ect. If ford let you build an xl with all of those goodies....they wouldn't get you moving up to the higher trim levels...its why trucks have been so profitable for so long.....

Yes...it sucks you can't buy an stx with a 5.4 and manual hubs.....but they're hopin you buy a F250 and get a truck with a cheaper to produce frame....cheaper to produce body (less quiet steel...less sound insulation...ect)....and spend about the same.....if those are the features you want.....

for others that want the leather....its available...but not in a xlt.....

You see the same thing in alot of other places today....appliances that come in certain colors in the top line only.....electronics that have a cool feature that doesn't cost much....but only on the top line bundled with a bunch of other cool features.....

Old 02-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Draw007
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
Sir, thank you for the dance, I've always respected and looked forward to your posts.

It ticks me off when a thread such as this is started and someone gets thier panties all pulled up to thier chest over another person's opinion. I'm not refering to Ryan. Your reply was well thought out and made perfect sense.

To be honest with you, I've never ordered a truck and probably never will. I've been satisfied with what I've found on the dealer's lot. With that said, I still believe that when a person spends big bucks, he/she should be able to get just about what they want. I've never been in the auto industry and I don't really know how it all works. But in my mind, it shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience to drop a 5.4L in an STX or offer all paint colors on all trim lines. As an exqample, I don't care if the STX is a base model truck. I'm willing to pay for the engine and the LS axles. I don't want an STX, I actually want a little equipment and I'm WILLING to pay for it. That's my point. The shame of it is, I may have to get the SD to get what I want.

One thing I've learned over the past 12 months of membership on FTE, if you not ready to handle the truth, accept different opinions or you have a thing skin, then don't ask the question.

Tim
How about we just agree to disagree?

The fact is, I am getting what I want and need in a truck. If I weren't, I wouldn't buy the truck to begin with.

Let's just have a drink and move on from this pissing match. Cheers.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:29 PM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only reason I diss the new rig is because it's 1000 lbs+ overweight, and gets the same fuel mileage as a 20 year older truck.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fonefiddy
The only reason I diss the new rig is because it's 1000 lbs+ overweight, and gets the same fuel mileage as a 20 year older truck.
wasn't it 1500+ last time you were complaining??? I guess we're making progress at least...

Old 02-03-2009, 08:23 PM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can bang Your head all You want. But You have to admit, The 1/2 ton trucks have become more bloated, and overweight than Prez Obama's Economic Disaster Package.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:05 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Draw007
How about we just agree to disagree?

The fact is, I am getting what I want and need in a truck. If I weren't, I wouldn't buy the truck to begin with.

Let's just have a drink and move on from this pissing match. Cheers.
Sir, I agree whole heartedly and thank you for the stimulating thread. I love these discussions even though I tend to get a little wrapped around the axle with them.

When I first joined the site I was ready to jump anyone who would even hint at saying something less than purely positive about my beloved FORDS. After a year and opening my mind to other great ideas, I've concluded that Ford is hands down the best automaker with the most improved quality in the biz. But, that doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement. Ford offers what every truck buyer needs or wants be it on an F-150 or a SD. Because a fella wants one or the other doesn't mean that Ford or a particular product line is being disrespected. It simply measn that they appeal to the masses.

Keep up the great work!

Tim

Old 02-04-2009, 08:45 AM
nnero
Elder User
This is why I drive a 1995 F-150. 5-speed, manual t-case, lockout hubs, 302, rubber floor mats, manual windows and a bench seat. It also has rear helper springs. Its a truck. I can drive it through the woods, snow, mud and alomost anywhere else i want to and not have to worry about hurting it (breaking off all the plactic pieces and denting paper thin sheet metal) You CANT get this in a new half ton truck. I like cast iron enging blocks. My old truck with 208,000 miles still gets 15-18 mpg. That is why some people are complaining. Some people like things simple, some people like an actual truck. We have a Deuce and a Half 6x6 for our farm because why we would pay 40,000 for a new "work" truck when we picked up the Deuce for 4,000. It 40 years old and is 10 times any new truck on the road. Dont get me wrong, the new F-150s are nice. If thats what you like then go ahead. I am not bashing new trucks or trying to argue with people. I just dont like the direction new trucks are headed. If I want fancy stuff in the interior and a ride like a Cadillac, then I will by a Cadillac. I willnever buy a new truck. Its just my opinion people, dont get your panties in a bunch. All that matters is you enjoy the vehicle you have. If your happy it doesnt matter what anyone else things. Sorry for the novel.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fonefiddy
You can bang Your head all You want. But You have to admit, The 1/2 ton trucks have become more bloated, and overweight than Prez Obama's Economic Disaster Package.
Nope....i don't think they are....you and i have gone over this time and time again....but i'd never trade the better safety and capabilities of my current truck for the weight of my 95......just wouldn't do it...my current truck is hands down a better truck....and largely because of the heavier components in it...

Old 02-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Saleenguy
Postmaster
I actually like a truck with a fairly hefty empty weight.
It helps it when towing, plowing, pulling out stuck chevy's, and just going down the highway it feels planted to the road and rides nice.

I really would rather drive a half ton truck that weighed 6,000 pounds, than one weighing 4,000 pounds anyday.

Sports cars need to be light for acceleration and handling.
Trucks IMO need to be heavy and strong.

I bleed blue I swear, and my wife tells me so all the time.

Ford is by far the best automaker out there, with honda second IMO.

But I still feel they fell short on the redesigned for 2009 F150.....Is it a bad truck? No, it fine, but could have been much better with just simple changes.

So it makes me sad they never put in just that little bit of extra effort and made the new truck awesome!

Old 02-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Saleenguy
I actually like a truck with a fairly hefty empty weight.
It helps it when towing, plowing, pulling out stuck chevy's, and just going down the highway it feels planted to the road and rides nice.

I really would rather drive a half ton truck that weighed 6,000 pounds, than one weighing 4,000 pounds anyday.

Sports cars need to be light for acceleration and handling.
Trucks IMO need to be heavy and strong.

I bleed blue I swear, and my wife tells me so all the time.

Ford is by far the best automaker out there, with honda second IMO.

But I still feel they fell short on the redesigned for 2009 F150.....Is it a bad truck? No, it fine, but could have been much better with just simple changes.

So it makes me sad they never put in just that little bit of extra effort and made the new truck awesome!
Ya know...you pretty much nailed my sentement on the truck 100%....its a great truck....i was just expecting a bit more.....

Old 02-04-2009, 03:38 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl
Ya know...you pretty much nailed my sentement on the truck 100%....its a great truck....i was just expecting a bit more.....
Ryan, I'm crushed! Your saying this but you flamed me for similar statements. He, He. Just breakin' your onions a little.

Tim

Old 02-04-2009, 04:01 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The local dealer has a new 09' 150 XLT sitting out front. Its a nice looking truck I will say. If the new 150 had more standalone options like Tseekins described I think it would be better for the buyer, especially if you don't want/need a fancy truck. Spending an extra $2k+ to get 3.73s is crazy IMO and what really turns me off to the new 150 as well as a few other minor things. Toyota and Honda does similar with packages like Ford seems to be adopting now. The US automakers have always been nice because of the option flexibility. I think they spoiled us over the years with the options and throwing everything into packages now leaves many saying WTF.

I would honestly rather spend the little extra $$$ on a SD over the 150. It may not be as refined but is more truck for only a tad more $$$ than the 150.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by dkf
Spending an extra $2k+ to get 3.73s is crazy IMO and what really turns me off to the new 150 as well as a few other minor things.
But not many complained last year about the limited availablilty of the 4.10's.....which really are this years 3.73's with the 6 spd tranny. Don't just look at the axle ratio...look at the tranny ratios too....

If they only offered a 1.50 rear axle....it'd be just fine if they also offered a 1st gear of 15:1...second 8:1.....ect.....

Quick Reply: Why Keep Dissing the New F150?