Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Stalling Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 04:10 PM
tamz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stalling Problem

I have a 2002 F-250 diesel. I took it into the Ford dealership because the locks quit working, the radio wouldn't shut off when the door opened and the dome lights wouldn't work properly. Well when I got it back, they informed me that they also ran the recalls and changed the cam positioning sensor. I was a bit upset as I had already had this changed 2 years ago with a private mechanic. Well since then, my truck runs for about 20 minutes then shuts off. I've had it shut off while driving down the road. I have also experienced when I shut it off it won't start back up for 20 minutes to 45 minutes later. I have taken this back to the same Ford dealership no less than 6 times. They tell me that they can't get the truck to code and it CAN'T be the cam positioning sensor.

Batteries are good and posts are clean, we've put a drying agent into the diesel in the event that condensation got into the lines or tank. This happens whether it's a full tank or 1/4 tank. We are at the end of our rope. Love the truck, we actually have 2 of them! But are so frustrated, we talked about trading it off and buying new. Yet the 7.3 pulls our toyhauler so well!

Anyone out there have any other ideas?

Tam

Old 01-27-2009, 04:15 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
It's the cam position sensor, they are known to cause trouble and Ford even issued a statement stating such. Take it back, demand they fix it.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:13 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Welcome to FTE. The first thing I would do is check to make sure the CPS connector is plugged in properly. A new CPS from Ford is only $25, so it's a cheap easy test to just swap it out yourself to see if that cures the problem. Welcome to guzzle's CPS R&R Web Page<

Now, tell us what lights come on in the dash when you're having problems. Does the check engine light ever stay on when running? When you have a no start situation, do all the lights come on and go off like they're supposed to? Do any lights flash or act funny when the truck dies?

Old 01-27-2009, 05:40 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Geez, where are my manners, didn't notice I was responding to a new member... WELCOME to FTE!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:28 PM
tamz
New User
Thanks Guys... We sort of felt all along that it was the Cam Position Sensor. But when the experts say they've replaced it several times and also deny the truck even giving codes. Well it makes a person think that they've completely lost their mind. I think I'll buy one on my own and we'll replace it on our own.

When I turn the truck on it acts like it's supposed to. The guages all come up and everything runs great. When it dies... the RMP's drop, the oil pressure drops and then the check engine light comes on as it coasts to a stop. When I try to restart, all the guages come up except for the oil pressure. But the truck actually has to be running and produce pressure for that one to work. Actually it too comes up for a second or two while the truck is trying to crank over. But that's all it does is crank! Like it's not getting spark, fuel or something. The check engine light stays on when it's having this issue. But the second the truck does start, it goes off. We compared the guages on both trucks to see if we noticed anything different about mine and it really acts the same as his, but his works! LOL

I'll let you know how the repair on our own goes.

Thanks for the Welcome...

T

Old 01-28-2009, 12:16 AM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome!!!! Heres what i have learned about ford tec's and these trucks... They dont know crap about them! If it dosnt throw a code then they are clueless.... AND if it does throw a code and they fix what the code says is wrong and that dosnt fix it they start throwing darts at a wall to figure out what the problem is.... I wasted $800+ dollars on them guessing what was wrong with my truck. Only to find out that i needed a new $10,000 motor.

Here's my point: If you can't figure it out for yourself... very understandable. Find a local mechanic that specializes in these trucks. If you have the time and will to do it yourself come here to FTE. We will get you on the right track and help you in ANY WAY possible to get you going again.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:42 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Tam where are you located? I actually know of a Ford tech who is 7.3 savvy (at least from my experience), but he's in the middle of nowhere Oregon.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:40 PM
tamz
New User
I'm in Northern Arizona...