Ramshorn flow comparission. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Ramshorn flow comparission.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:18 AM
flipklos
Posting Guru
flipklos is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ramshorn flow comparission.

Will the ramshorn manifolds improve my flow over a stock split manifold?
I allready hace true duels via a angels crook on drvs side. I dont want the "header headache" and at some point intend to dump the glasspacks for some twin or tripple chambers and want a lasting solution.

How bad is spark plug access with theese manifolds?

Old 01-26-2009, 09:11 AM
bigwin56f100
Post Fiend
bigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant future
As long as you run the plug wires down and under like the stock manifolds, they are GREAT. You will NOT be able to run the spark plug heat shields with the rams, go to napa and order exhaust manifold gaskets with "heat shield"
Plugs are no harder than before, The oil dip stick is a challenge and the center bolt on the manifold is a challenge especially on the dip stick side. I run the dip stick tube up thru the center opening of the manifold. Hard to visualize but if you go this route you'll see what I'm talking about.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:20 AM
46yblock
Postmaster
46yblock is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The question of flow comparison has come up many times, and I dont recall that actual numbers have been given. One thing is certain, flow resistance differences between each bank will be equalized with the Ram horns, because the DS is smaller than the PS on the cross overs, even when setup with dual exhaust.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:17 PM
wild.bunch
Senior User
wild.bunch is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.wild.bunch is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have seen this discussed before, but I cannot recall where I read it. IIRC, the Rams Horns did not offer the benefits of headers, but were more similar to other stock manifolds.

The bends in the Rams Horns suffer from the same considerations as the others: they are tight to maintain engine room clearances.

With that said, I fully agree that they are better and will offer more power and economy than the stock truck manifolds with the cross over, and that the driver's side exhaust on the truck cross over arrangement is particularly poor, split or not. Of course, the pass car manifolds cannot be used on the driver's side unless a right hand manifold is used, due to clearances with the steering box.

I would expect that Rams Horns will flow more like the 57 pass car manifolds and better than the older ones that are more restrictive.

I agree that both banks will flow about the same, given that the exhaust piping is similar in flow characteristics.

Whether all of this is worth the money a pair of Rams Horns will cost is something for individual judgment, as is whether the looks of them have an attraction.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:18 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
46yblock is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by wild.bunch View Post
I have seen this discussed before, but I cannot recall where I read it. IIRC, the Rams Horns did not offer the benefits of headers, but were more similar to other stock manifolds.

The bends in the Rams Horns suffer from the same considerations as the others: they are tight to maintain engine room clearances.

With that said, I fully agree that they are better and will offer more power and economy than the stock truck manifolds with the cross over, and that the driver's side exhaust on the truck cross over arrangement is particularly poor, split or not. Of course, the pass car manifolds cannot be used on the driver's side unless a right hand manifold is used, due to clearances with the steering box.

I would expect that Rams Horns will flow more like the 57 pass car manifolds and better than the older ones that are more restrictive.

I agree that both banks will flow about the same, given that the exhaust piping is similar in flow characteristics.

Whether all of this is worth the money a pair of Rams Horns will cost is something for individual judgment, as is whether the looks of them have an attraction.
People always are looking for better flow, be it exhaust piping, valves, heads, or intake manifolds. But a consideration is at what rpm. If the person has driving habits consistent with some of us old guys, extra flow can be an unnecessary expense. That being said, I hate looking at my DS exhaust setup, and some day will get it fixed no matter what expense. It isnt a problem except to the eye.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:08 AM
flipklos
Posting Guru
In a nutshell,
The ramshorns dont offer great flow improvement. Being comparable to a cars dual exhaust setup. though an improvment over the stock crossover and angels crook Ive now.

They are essentialy better then stock, with no warped headers, no paint scalding heat. and no $500 ceramic coated price tag.

Buying theese would improve flow slightly. At a great expense, yes. Though with no crazy header probloms.

Do I have that right?

Old 01-30-2009, 08:11 AM
pfogle
Post Fiend
pfogle has a good reputation on FTE.pfogle has a good reputation on FTE.pfogle has a good reputation on FTE.
If you buy quality headers then you shouldn't have a problem with them warping or paint cracking. Get the thermal wrap and the heat is greatly reduced. Maybe not as pretty as the ceramic or powder coated, but it's less expensive.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:57 PM
wild.bunch
Senior User
wild.bunch is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.wild.bunch is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
flipklos, this is my opinion on the matter: What you have now, the stock manifolds with crossover removed and a trombone installed on the driver's side, would, I think be improved by a useful degree with Ramshorns. Part of this depends on how you use your truck. If you just drive it to Sonic on a summer nite, the performance increase won't be worth it. (But the "coolness factor" of opening your hood might well be worth it!)

If you are working your truck or driving it on the hiway some, then I think a useful improvement would ensue. If your engine was bone-stock, I would do something on the exhaust side before I did anything complex on the intake side.

(However, the first thing I'd do would be to ditch the Load-O-Matic.) It might be worthwhile to, after getting a real distributor, to get an adaptor and run a 2100 Autolite or 2300 Holley 2v carb -- if the adapter is cheap enough. Such things can be scrounged cheaply at a swap meet.

But doing the exhaust would be better than messing too much with fancy intakes or other such stuff, I think.

Headers are, I think, going to offer an improvement over either what you have or Ramshorns. How much of that improvement you will need is a question. If you are running your motor hard, that is where the difference between headers and RamsHorns is going to show an advantage.

Think of capacities: the flow of a particular exhaust system (just like with the intake system) will operate optimally at a given power output. If you are just put-putting around town, then you don't need much flow capacity in the exhaust (or the intake, for that matter). If you are driving on the highways and using the truck for moderate duty, you need more flow capacity in the exhaust for optimal performance.

Some headers have come a long way from the old cheapos that flooded the market. Thick flanges and better coatings make headers more durable. But they will be a bit noisier, if that bothers you. In the trucks, there is a lot of room and road clearance, unlike a lot of cars.

I wouldn't presume to tell you what you ought to do, just point out some of my opinions that may or may not be helpful to you as you think about making a choice in this matter.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:23 PM
flipklos
Posting Guru
wild bunch I think you summed it up for me. At some point I intend to use it for light towing and some hauling. I live rual so highway is a fact of life if I need more then car parts and groceries. Funny 2 grocerie stores, 5 parts stores. I think the rams horns are going to be my choice.

Ive glasspacks now and theyre too loud. I want a dual or tripple chamber muffler to save on my ears at some point. This is after I get the cabmounts in and fully strip and repaint it. I aim to do all this myself but the economy dove and we lost overtime (now Im laid off for three weeks) so play money dried up. Now its pay bills and save for parts. I got a 390cfm holley and an intake, some seals, Next is going to be my window kit for my 64.

I dont have a lodomatic. Ive a petronix in a stock dizzy.

I want a 4bbl with the 1957-B and 3.73 rearend. I dont want or need 300hp Im looking to breathe a bit better and not turn 4500rpm at 65mph (IE get at least 14mpg)

Thanks for your guys help Ramshorns will be my purchase after my window seals.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.