Experience with Edelbrock RPM mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 02:33 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Post Experience with Edelbrock RPM mufflers?

Has anyone had any experience with Edelbrock's RPM series 409 stainless steel mufflers? I am considering a pair to put after a set of headers on my 78 F250 400. I am also having trouble locating stainless header connectors at any reasonable price. I am trying to stick with stainless because I hate to re-work exhaust systems (or anything else). The headers are ceramic coated.

Thanks for any enlightened ideas or information you may have!

-Mac

Old 03-04-2002, 10:52 AM
89XLTBronco
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never used them but a friend of mine has them on his 5.0 Mustang. They sound pretty good. Not quite the mean rumble you get from a 40 series Flowmaster, they sound more like a Borla. I beleive that the RPM's are glass filled inside. So even though the stainless casing may last forever, the packing in side may not. If you live some where in the south where you dont have to worry about salty roads in the winter you could save some money and go with Flowmaster, or Hooker Arrow Chanbers. Non the less the RPM's are nice mufflers.

Old 03-04-2002, 05:37 PM
76RangerXLT
Senior User

aren't they rebuildable?

Old 03-30-2002, 10:31 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Sorry about the late answer, I did not get a post notice.

I live in salt hell, where any form of moisture turns to ice, then melts and re-freezes every day. Truckloads of salt used. One winter I had to break up a patch of solid salt at the end of my driveway, two inches thick and about three feet in diameter, with a pick and shovel so I could trash it.

The Edelbrock RPM's are filled with ceramic ***** like some catalytic converters and layers of some stainless steel mesh around the outside and the tubes to prevent rattles.

They are not rebuiladable.

I still need stainless header adapters. I can get stainless tubing fabricated to fit. Any ideas?

One note about exhaust systems and sound... The exhaust tone is strongly affected by the shape of the end of the pipe. If the pipe is cut off square you will get a much harsher "buzzy" tone. A diagonal cut will give a mellow note. Try it! Tips don't help much unless the exhaust tube ends well back inside the tip.

over!

Old 03-31-2002, 11:33 AM
grays31
Junior User