Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Surging at light throttle and low RPM

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:08 AM
jbwingman
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pmasley
Just as soon as I can get my hands on one I will know for sure. The test that I did with the borrowed one at the Tenn Party seemed to fix it. None of our sponsors has one. I am having to revert and call in a favor at a stealership that I have been doing parts business for years. Damn thing is going to cost about $180.00. If Ed had it, it would be around $140 with shipping. Dealers are like bankers and politicians, damn bunch of crooks. Opps, I forgot one, those bottom dwelling lawyers. LOL
pmasley IOP has nailed the problem. Had the same thing on my 99.5 F250 and replaced the gas pedal- $295.00 job-but took the flat out no engine running and stutters out of the throttle.
my .02

Old 01-06-2010, 11:43 AM
valiant500hp
Senior User
Well, I unhooked the ICP and took the truck for a drive. It still has a surge/miss at like 1200 to 1800 rpms. In park, there was still the slightly erratic miss under 1000 rpms, but there is nothing noticable at idle. One thing I know is that the miss/surge while driving is more noticable when the DP-Tuner is set on a higher setting like the 80Econ. Basically, everything stayed the same with or without the ICP hooked up.

I can't think that something like this would be the cause of a pedal problem, but I just don't know anymore. I might try my other black cps and see what happens.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:42 PM
64F260
Senior User
For some reason, I have had to replace my throttle pedal a couple of times, now I am having the same symptoms again. It will miss or sputter for just a second usually at cruising rpm. The last time I found it online (I think it was Norther Auto Parts), and it wasnt the whole pedal but was just the potentiometer part, and was much cheaper. I happened to notice that it would not miss at all if the cruise control was on, but only when using the throttle, you might want to try this to see if the problem goes away with cruise control on. I might experiment a little with trying to clean the pot. with some electrical contact cleaner- maybe there is some dust or dirt in there causing the "bad spots". I think this problem is common and is often mis-identified as bad injectors, or under valve cover connection problems , etc.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:54 PM
bkeese
Cross-Country
I tried replacing the Throttle Positioning Sensor on the gas pedal and it had no effect. Why does the pedal need to be replaced if it is a dead spot in the POT?

Old 03-02-2010, 10:06 AM
jbwingman
Junior User
Throttle.

Originally Posted by bkeese
I tried replacing the Throttle Positioning Sensor on the gas pedal and it had no effect. Why does the pedal need to be replaced if it is a dead spot in the POT?
I had heard that the pots are calibrated to the pedal. I not for sure but the sensor made in the pedal that travels along the pot may be bad.

I was told to replace the whole pedal and it solved the problem. I know it is extra bucks, but it gets you going.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:50 PM
clarkoh
Freshman User
Finally got after some of the issues. The GPCM corrected the Glow Plug codes and the truck starts now with just a trace of smoke on cold mornings.

BUT... I still have this stuttering or surging thing happening. The codes pulled are P0238, P1209, P0478 and P1211. I clear the codes and these return after a short drive. This stutter occurs mainly under slight throttle pressure. For example, at 65 on the interstate, a small grade comes up. To maintain speed, a little more throttle is added and no response and for a few moments, there is no response or the truck slows down. Then suddenly, the engine changes from a smooth quiet sound with no power to a growl and it takes off. Some times it stutters and goes. Once in a while, I feel like I am driving a Toyota and may be about to rear end a car in front of me, because I have been adding throttle, when it finally catches, it will speed up 10 MPH or more.

When crusiing along at steady speed, a stutter/ oscillation will start. Like no fuel, too much, no fuel, too much. It seems to go into an oscillation for a few cycles before setting down. And when I lift, the engine keeps oscillating for a moment. I.e., adding fuel intermittently after letting off the throttle.

With the crusie on, it is worse, since the cruise is not smart enough to anticipate these oscillations sometimes they get even larger and the speed may go +/- 5 mph over the cruise set point. Like setting the cruise with the rear axel on jack stands.

With any state of reprograming, including stock, the condition is still present, but more pronounced with it set to emission illegal. More fuel amplifies the stuttering.

The turbo is fresh with the "better " wheel. The clips under the covers have quarters. The butterfly in the exhaust in locked open.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by clarkoh; 03-25-2010 at 12:57 PM. Reason: typos
Old 04-19-2010, 08:22 PM
SpectreZ91
Senior User
Clark,

Have you figured the surging/hesitating issue out yet? I have the same problem..

Thanks!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:45 PM
03_PSD
Postmaster
I too am interested in the findings.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:57 PM
clarkoh
Freshman User
I hate to admit this, but a long overdue oil change made a world of difference. I run Amsoil, so I was not too concerned about the lubricant breaking down, and the truck uses very little oil. I finally changed it and replaced both the regular and bypass filters and it is much better.

There is still some stuttering or surging, but most of it is gone. I still have the feeling that the fuel system/ computer is slow to respond to changes in throttle pressure or load. When I set the cruise control, it is more noticeable than when my foot is able to compensate. Like when I see an uphill grade about to place more load on the engine.

I wonder if the high pressure oil pump, especially with 238,000 miles, could be a problem? How tough is it to diagnose problems with it? How tough and expensive is it to change?

Last edited by clarkoh; 04-20-2010 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Added another sentence
Old 04-19-2010, 11:59 PM
lfthrdr
Mountain Pass
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Surging

I have had my 01 Excursion 7.3 for about a month now. Last week as I pulled out of the driveway for a date with my wife, I experienced the stuttering problem for the first time. I have put approx. 1,650 miles on it since I purchased it and haven't had any problems with the stuttering until last week. The mods I have done are an S&B air intake, 4" MBRP turbo-back exhaust, and a Diablosport Predator programmer. I have the Diablosport set on the 110hp performance setting because it gets the best mileage (over 20 around town driving easy). That was the easiest thing to change, so I installed the stock tune back and the stuttering went away immediately. Later that night, I put the 110hp tune back in and it ran fine for about 5 days. Then today on my way back from getting a pizza, it started stuttering again. It stuttered for a couple of minutes and on one of the stutterings, I gave it quite a bit of gas, and the stuttering went away for the rest of the way home. I have one of the black CPSs on order from Riffraff, so I'll see if that makes a difference. I am not sure what would have caused the stuttering to start so suddenly and then go away when it is taken back to stock. By the way, I have about 146,500 miles on mine and I am definitely not a mechanic.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:55 AM
bkeese
Cross-Country
Any one fix this? I think Ford calls it "hitching" with no cure.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:07 AM
SpectreZ91
Senior User
I ended up changing my oil and it magically went away..

I'm not saying it's "Fixed" but it hasn't had the problem in almost 1,000 miles now..

Old 05-02-2011, 09:42 AM
clarkoh
Freshman User
Unhappy Still Surging at light throttle

I still have the problem at light throttle. It just does not figure out how much fuel is needed, unless you mat it. Definitely intermittent, and very annoying. A couple times, the engine has cut off completely. That has not happened in quite some time. If you apply light throttle, or the cruise control does, it acts like a carbureator that needs an accelerator pump or an enrichment circuit adjustment. Full throttle, no problemo! I am approching 300K with it and I guess I should not complain. It would be nice to have the driveability back.

Hmmm, maybe its time for that adapter to put in a nice Cummins 24 valve! I have a 2000 Dodge pickup that rocks with a bigger turbo, injectors, exhaust, homemade airbox and 288,000 on the clock. Limited slip just makes it easier to loose control if traction conditions are even slightly borderline.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:52 AM
clarkoh
Freshman User
BTW, the GPC module fixed the cold start/ code issues. Truck is good on even the coldest mornings with little or no smoke on start up!

Old 05-02-2011, 09:54 AM
clarkoh
Freshman User
Speaking of oil, could a worn out high pressure oil pump be the culprit?? How difficult is it to change? Is there a good replacement pump for the stock one?

Quick Reply: Surging at light throttle and low RPM