New Member Introductions New to FTE? Introduce yourself here!

new owner and terrified - GA

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 12:15 PM
RigET
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question new owner and terrified - GA

Well I spent 4 months looking for a used Duramax or Cummins 3/4 ton and finally drove a Powerstroke and was impressed so I bought a 2005 F250 with 74000 miles and then found out how many problems these engines have.

Is my engine destined to fail even if I keep it stock and stay up on all the maintenance. I hear talk about 5k to have the headbolts and gaskets replaced when they fail after warranty.

I have always wanted a diesel truck and now I am not sure. Is there anyone out there who does not have problems with their 6.0 or are all the problems happening because of mods and poor maintenance?

Old 01-20-2009, 12:27 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

Relax - there is no cause for alarm! There are many, many people who have many, many trouble-free miles on their 6.0 Powerstroke motors. Maintenance is very important, and you'll find out all of the details you need regarding that maintenance in the 2003-2007 6.0 Forum - here's a link: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/
The Tech folder stickie at the top of that forum has invaluable information on the maintenance procedures that are critical to insure your 6.0 stays in top running condition.

You might wish to stop in and make your introduction in Georgia's FTE chapter as well:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum82/

Thanks for signing on, and enjoy that truck!

Old 01-21-2009, 06:45 AM
RigET
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the encouraging words. I am a big believer in preventative maintenance since I have 29 years in either aircraft or oil rig maintenance. I plan on following the maintenance schedules although I am thinking that 7500 miles is a bit lengthy for an oil change interval. I plan on using Motorcraft filters since there has been alot of talk about their quality. I am confused about all these programmers though. How do people modify their chips and not increase the likelihood of engine failures? I had planned on updating my exhaust and putting in a mild tune from DP or Innovative but I think I will leave everything stock now