1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

16" Lokar Floor Shifter Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
16" Lokar Floor Shifter Question

Hey folks, I seem to have run into a bit of a snag and was curious if anyone else has had this issue and can offer up a solution.

I have installed my 16" mushroom top shifter and have cut the necessary hole in the transmission inspection plate as specified in the installation instructions. The instructions for the shifter boot indicate to cut the hole 4" in diameter, no larger. However it seems that I will have an issue with the wiring from the vertical indicator which protrudes below the bas of the boot ring. Here is a picture of the type of ring I have with the indicator.

My question is since I need to attach the wiring to the control box that will be mounted on the side of the transmission, do I just enlarge the hole to accept the multiple wires that hang down or do I drill a hole below the indicator for the wire and then feed the wires through it.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:01 AM
dawolverine
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd be tempted to drill a seperate hole as then you can put a rubber gromit in it to protect the wires. Maybe use detatchable connectors on the wires as well so its easy to remove later on if they don't already have them?

Old 01-20-2009, 07:59 AM
hivolt5.0
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Kusto, I'm glad you posted this thread because I have the same shift indicator for the truck I'm building as well.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think If I do use a separate hole for the wires I can seal around the wires to prevent water from entering the cab should I get caught in a rain storm. I was initially hanging issues because when I was mocking it up, the shift indicator would not set flat on the floor because of the group of wires coming out of the indicator as well as a couple of retaining screws on the underside of the unit.

Then just today while driving home from work and pondering my issue, I realized that once the insulation and carpet are installed, it won't be an issue. Otherwise the shifter and boot installation was a Breeze.