1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Help w/ 2003 FX4 Level II Tcase Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 06:13 PM
bigblockford79
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help w/ 2003 FX4 Level II Tcase Issues

I have a 2003 Ranger FX4 Level II that I believe has a bad tcase. When I shift into 4wd everything seems to work properly and all 4 tires will spin. The problem is when I accelerate a little harder there is a loud pop from under the truck and the front tires are no longer spinning. I had a friend put it in gear and hold the brakes while pushing the gas pedal. From what I could see is once the front driveline gets to a certain level of torque it seems the chain in the tcase starts jumping teeth on the front output. After it pops, if you keep on the gas a little longer all it does it ratchet inside the tcase. The rear driveshaft will still be under load but the front is just sort of twitching.

What do you think the issue is? Dirty shift motor, or stretched chain/stripped sprocket?

Thanks

PS it is a BW 1354 Electric

Old 01-20-2009, 05:34 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
It's not the shift motor, there's an internial problem.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:47 PM
bigblockford79
Junior User
Originally Posted by wendell borror
It's not the shift motor, there's an internial problem.

Thanks wendell, that was what I was thinking as well but just wanted another opinion. I am more of a mechanical tcase guy, so I was a little unsure if a faulty motor might be able to cause my problem. Pretty sure the chain stretched and is now jumping teeth on the front output sprocket.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:23 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Not to many of us are crazy about the shift motor deal. When the shift motor fails, 9 out of 10 times it won't engage the 4wd at all. Your T-case is engaging, but starts slipping under throttle, streched chain, chipped gear, your on the right track. Keep us posted.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:52 PM
bigblockford79
Junior User
I will let you know what I find. I will most likely get a different tcase from the local u-pull yard and replace the whole case. But I will pull it apart to find the cause. The weird thing is this truck only has 143,000 on it and shouldn't have a bad tcase already. The only thing I can think is the previous owner drove it a lot on dry pavement with the 4x4 engaged.