1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

CCV Mod with filter Installed - with PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 07:15 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
Chris, love the write up and pictures. Very similar to what I had in mind, the only thing I would change is I would run the inlet into the bottom and outlet out the top fittings. The reason for this that with the design, the scrubbers would collect any stray oil before it exited onto the driveway/garage floor. With the outlet closer to the bottom it increases the possibility of oil exiting in the hose. If the hoses are reversed any oil has to fight the scrubbers and gravity to make to the exit hose. Otherwise great job and reps sent.
Now crap, don't that make sense.

I'll have to turn it over.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:54 AM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts
Sorry to make work for you brother. I still like it though, great idea, easy and cheap.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:03 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeez, just run the tube straight down, then back to the rear axle. Never a problem for me. What is all this hullabaloo? If you are concerned about a freezing tube, just dump it straight to the ground like IH does.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:53 AM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Nice job, Chris!

Old 01-21-2009, 07:46 AM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Good job and writeup Chris. I have been hesitant in getting mine done because I could not come up with a good filter design, but you just took care of that for me. Looks like I have a project in the works. Reps at ya, and an Excellent thread rating too!!

Old 01-21-2009, 07:57 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Sorry to make work for you brother. I still like it though, great idea, easy and cheap.
No biggie, I like the idea better. Nice thing is it's just two screws holding it. My engineering skills got exposed...

Old 01-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Originally Posted by Texas Outlaw
Nice job, Chris!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by RedBoat
Good job and writeup Chris. I have been hesitant in getting mine done because I could not come up with a good filter design, but you just took care of that for me. Looks like I have a project in the works. Reps at ya, and an Excellent thread rating too!!
Glad I can help. It took a couple hours and couple of beers to complete.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:19 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Great job! Looks similar, in design, to the one I built a few years ago. Outlet is at the top on mine. I mine looped back to the air intake. It traps a few tablespoonfuls of oil every few 1000 miles. I try to drain it regularly (when I think about it, lol). Inlet is high enough that it can hold about a 1/2 cup before draining.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:24 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Great job Chris...reps to you and a link on the 7.3 RHN Guides, Maintenance & Mods Page.

PS...I've also added a link to the Powerstrokehelp YouTube Guides & How-To's under Guides, on the same page.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:43 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Originally Posted by mueckster
Great job! Looks similar, in design, to the one I built a few years ago. Outlet is at the top on mine. I mine looped back to the air intake. It traps a few tablespoonfuls of oil every few 1000 miles. I try to drain it regularly (when I think about it, lol). Inlet is high enough that it can hold about a 1/2 cup before draining.
Yeah, I'm out of town on business for until Saturday but I'll reverse the inlet and outlet. This is a pretty big filter trap so it should hold quite of bit of oil. Hopefully, it won't be that bad. A little oil goes a long way. I just want all that residue out of the intake system.

Originally Posted by nlemerise
Great job Chris...reps to you and a link on the 7.3 RHN Guides, Maintenance & Mods Page.
Thanks again. I feel honored!

Old 01-21-2009, 10:14 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
Jeez, just run the tube straight down, then back to the rear axle. Never a problem for me. What is all this hullabaloo? If you are concerned about a freezing tube, just dump it straight to the ground like IH does.
I think it's more to keep the smelly vapors at bay, and avoid having oil spots all over under your rig if you have the luxury of parking on concrete.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:39 PM
TxFordGuy
Senior User
For those with an oil/vapr trap. how often do you have to check it. how often have you had to drain it? As for other diesel engines, how do they just run it striaght open from the engine and not have the vapor/oil problem like we do? where i work we have CAT engines and the hose comes out of the doghouse and go straight down next to the engine. i never smell foul vapors??

Old 01-21-2009, 01:19 PM
ITA47
Freshman User
Originally Posted by mueckster
I was thinking about running the outlet tube back up to the intake also. That should eleminate the oil in the intake tubes and also eleminate the vapors/smells. Great write up, and well documented with pictures

Old 01-21-2009, 02:52 PM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Originally Posted by Ponyboychris
Thanks!

Glad I can help. It took a couple hours and couple of beers to complete.

2 Beers thats all, Ill bet I can stretch it to 6!

Old 01-21-2009, 04:04 PM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Chris, love the write up and pictures. Very similar to what I had in mind, the only thing I would change is I would run the inlet into the bottom and outlet out the top fittings. The reason for this that with the design, the scrubbers would collect any stray oil before it exited onto the driveway/garage floor. With the outlet closer to the bottom it increases the possibility of oil exiting in the hose. If the hoses are reversed any oil has to fight the scrubbers and gravity to make to the exit hose. Otherwise great job and reps sent.
But with the inlet on the lower connection, you run a higher risk of fluid/gunk clogging the line, and then you end up with the same symptoms as a too long/frozen line.

I very much like this version of the mod and would do it the way you have it originally.

EXCELLENT writeup!!

Quick Reply: CCV Mod with filter Installed - with PICS!