Sponsored by:

Throttle body spacers

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 04:59 PM
stump.66
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Throttle body spacers

I have a 93 Bronco with the 5.8, and was wondering if these throttle body spacers are worth all the hype. Has anybody used one? Do they work? Any recomendations on which one to use? I am also going to install a cold air intake. Will this affect the spacer any?

Old 01-18-2009, 06:00 PM
jdrahush
Senior User
I have heard nothing but bad things about throttle body spacers, be it from Kenne bell or all the Mustang guys over on ModdedMustangs. Not that they do anything bad, just that their most useful application is a paper weight.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:59 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
While you are at it buy an extra quart of turn signal fluid.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 985 Likes on 777 Posts
TBS is a complete waste of money, and so are the so called CAI kits unless you have heavily modified the motor.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:33 PM
stump.66
New User
Originally Posted by greystreak92
While you are at it buy an extra quart of turn signal fluid.
Thought this forum was for intelligent conversation. Guess I was wrong. Won't be back here again.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:11 AM
sirkt
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stump.66
Thought this forum was for intelligent conversation. Guess I was wrong. Won't be back here again.
First this forum IS for intelligent conversation and I have been helped countless by members of this forum (for both my 2 Broncos and my 2 73-79 F-series PU) and greystreak is one of the most helpful members of the FSB forums...

It is pretty well know that a TBS have marginal benefits at most and most folks agree that they are about as useful "turn signal fluid"...

Lighten up a bit its called sarcasm I saw/still see nothing wrong with greystreak's comment... but if you are too stiff to recognize this sarcasm then maybe you should leave...

If you want another bronco forum with no sense of community or one that flames every n00b for asking if the top can be removed I recommend fullsizebronco.com... I was active over there for a while but left after I got tired of all of the BS...

If you want an active forum with knowledgeable members please stick around just lighten up a bit and you'll find that

Old 01-19-2009, 06:11 AM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

Cold air intake

I have a cold air intake for sale for $20 plus packaging and shipping. It is the air intake tube I bought new from Ford before it was discontinued. It is for the 460 and runs from the retangular hole beside the radiator into the air box. The result is cold air forced into the air box from in front of the radiator.

I ran it for a couple of years thinking it was great. After replacing the oxygen sensor and getting oxygen sensor lean code and CEL when throttle closed on the highway I went back to stock over the radiator air inlet tube. No codes nor check engine light.

stump.66 Good luck on finding anywhere better than here. Have a nice life.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:30 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My apologies to the forum's contributors and FTE's members if I offended anyone. Sirkt, thank you for the explanation. I meant it only as sarcasm.

I would suggest that as an alternative to a throttle body spacer, the original poster consider a cold air intake setup, a slight adjustment to base timing, or a good set of exhaust headers to allow the engine to breath a bit better.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:38 PM
helirich
Posting Guru
Yea Stump, Your being a little hard on Greystreak. If you stick around you will find him to be one of the best on here. I've even learned some stuff from him and I know everything. LOL

Serously, I would pass on the spacer. As I understand, it's only good for wide open throttle. Not what your doing much in a Bronco. I installed the cold air intake. (made my own) I think it helped the highway mpg some. Otherwise, you wont notice much.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:47 PM
jesta302
Senior User
Well, I guess we can roll along without him....I run a spacer with my set-up and feel that it doe not hurt and if it can help "swirl" the air better, then great. Since I just did the mass air conversion on my '95 Bronco with 5.0 and heavy mods, you can make a nice ram air type cold intake yourself, going from the stock box straight to the front grille via 4" duct pipe. It's high enough to stay out of the water, and rain, bugs leaves etc. are kept to a minimum, with the factory box providing a physical barrier between the air filter and your engine. Just my two cents.....pics in gallery.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:46 PM
special_k
Senior User
I was also thinking about getting one of these. If it works, great. If not, probably doesn't hurt. I have heard from a guy with a Jacked up s10 running 35's with his 6 banger that it helped alot. He said that his WOT from 60 to 80 was almost like adding a supercharger. I figured he was exaggerating. I would imagine it depends on specific motor and other add-ons. The guy with the s10 also bragged about how he could hear the air being sucked into the motor better.....some people are easily entertained, I guess I might be one of them. Haha

Old 01-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 985 Likes on 777 Posts
Does that S10 use a carb or TBI intake? If so then that's what the carb spacers were originally designd for, and yes they will provide benefits for both. The reason is that both carb and TBI are wet intake systems, fuel is mixed with the air in the intake, and swirling helps keep the fuel in suspension. The multiport EFI systems on these truck is a dry intake, the fuel is injected right at the intake valve in the head, so adding swirl to the airstream 15" away at the throttlebody has no effect at all.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:58 AM
special_k
Senior User
That truck was a 2000 or newer, so the fuel injection might have worked, or maybe he thought it did. Thanks for clarifying this a little. I kinda wanna try it for myself because of the difference of opinions, but after reading this, It has moved way down on the priority list. Like after everything, when I need a few thousand to buy a supercharger, and I have 100 bucks laying around then I might have to buy it. Haha

Old 01-27-2009, 12:56 PM
helirich
Posting Guru
Hey Conanski,
That makes sense. I've always heard they are not so good, but thats the first time someone explained it to me. I like to hear the reasons for stuff. Some people state stuff on here and just want you to take it on faith. I trust everybody, but I cut the cards.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:20 PM
special_k
Senior User
Ok, i didn't start a new thread cuz it is related to this one. Engines can benefit by better atomizing air and fuel. Carb spacers do this, but throttle body spacers not so much, because the air has to travel a distance before mixing with fuel. I got that, it makes sense. On the fordfuelinjection website it says that long skinny intake tubes make more low rpm power. This makes sense as well. It says that a heat spacer will help atomize fuel better. Isn't that basically a carb spacer? If it is made for a 302, wouldn't it on most other 302's as long as they were fuel injected? In that application, would a throttle body spacer help? Has anyone tried this? I'm interested in any or all opinions. I am looking to add low rpm power for a budget right now.

Quick Reply: Throttle body spacers