Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Pole Barn Building Tips!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 11:48 PM
bwoldschool65
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pole Barn Building Tips!

Gonna start on a pole barn.....just need some advice from what the best and easiest way to square one up. And any other helpful advice. Thanks Guys!

Old 01-18-2009, 12:15 AM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 148 Likes on 89 Posts
No advice on building, but have you checked the price of having one built?

I had someone build mine ( I think a couple of years before you were born) It was one of my better decisions. Lots of folks build their own, and I'm sure that you'll get a ton of good advice here.

But, the main pieces are heavy, and you'll be setting up heavy roof framing while you're on a ladder. Hopefully you have a few strong buddies to help you.

Not at all trying to discourage you, just mentioning some things to consider.

Good Luck,

Old 01-18-2009, 12:34 AM
bwoldschool65
Senior User
Thanks ...I understand what you mean. my dad and brother in law will be helping.....They Also helped me build my log home....maybe that experience will come in handy on this simple structure.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:53 AM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
set up string lines attached to batter boards. square up the strings, mark your holes, remove the strings, drill the holes, reinstall strings, set, plumb and brace the poles. pour concrete in the holes.

I usually square it by finding one side and establishing one corner. from there measure down that side to find your second corner. Calculate the diagonal. using two tapes, one from each corner, you can find a third corner. From there you can get the last one. double check the other diagonal and it should be right on.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:54 PM
LaidBack
New User
A___________B
!
!
!
!
!
C-------------D

To square your pole barn measure the distance from corner A to D, then measure from corner C to B. If the measurment is the same then your perfectly square. I'm guessing though that you will have to adjust to get the measurments to match. To square the building you need to move a wall line, for example if the measurment between corners A - D is longer then the measurment between C-B you will have to shift the C-D line to the left. this will decrease the distance between A-D, and increase the distance between C-B. Everything is by half, for instance, if the A-D distance is 6 inches more then the C-B distance you will need to shift C-D 3 inches to the left.

Another little building tip, if you plan to insulate your pole barn, buy 92 5/8" studs and run them laid flat BETWEEN the 4x4s not on the outside face of the 4x4's. Put them on a 24"O.C. layout from the bottom up. This will put your 4x4's at 8' centers and you can buy standard 24" insulation bats to put in the walls.

Hope this helps some,
Marc

Old 01-19-2009, 07:02 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by LaidBack
Another little building tip, if you plan to insulate your pole barn, buy 92 5/8" studs and run them laid flat BETWEEN the 4x4s not on the outside face of the 4x4's. Put them on a 24"O.C. layout from the bottom up. This will put your 4x4's at 8' centers and you can buy standard 24" insulation bats to put in the walls.
That is a good point, but I wouldnt use 4x4's. I would use 6x6's. Pole barns already dont work on paper even with 6x6's, I cant imagine what the engineering data would look like for 4x4's

Old 01-19-2009, 09:30 PM
bwoldschool65
Senior User
i'm using 6x6 corners and rest in 4x6 .....So far i've got 3 of the corner post in the ground ....just gotta have another day off and i can prolly get the rest in fairly quick.....i ran out of daylight today.. Only had a few hours after work today. i'll be putting 2x4s on 2' centers on sides-bubble wrap then metal 2x6 bottom plate and double 2x6 top...bout typical i guess.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:25 AM
LaidBack
New User
It all depends on how big of a pole barn you are building as to whether to use 4x or 6x, obviously the bigger the pole barn the bigger the supports would need to be. It's been a long time since I built one, but there are/sould be local building codes on what is actually required. The majority of the pole barns around here are basic 24x32 and 4x construction is the norm.

Sort of lost me there on the whole bottom plate top plate thing, sounds almost like you are framing walls inside the 4x6 posts instead of running a typical perling with a double 2x12 truss carrier build.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:09 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 891 Likes on 807 Posts
Sounds like you,ve got a good start. In NY a lot of pole barn builders are using laminated 2x6's PT in the ground up to 4-5 ft. Less cost, less twisting. Poles are set on a concrete pad or slab. Some use a 2x4 or 6 at the bottom of the pole ( like a "T") for stability and to help avoid "pull out" in high winds.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:13 PM
bwoldschool65
Senior User
got the whole day off tomorrow and some help...i'll see how far i can get.
i hope to get the rest of the poles in 12 more....and get the 2x6 and 2x4 stringers on the side Then i gotta make the trusses and maybe get them up sunday? We'll see how it goes.

Its gonna be a 30x30 Any tips at all are appreciated! Thanks Guys

Old 01-20-2009, 10:19 PM
bwoldschool65
Senior User
Oh yeah...was pllanning on putting the trusses on 5' centers.....this seems to be the norm....but my grandads pole barn is on 10' centers with the 2x4 slats on end... would that be fine or should i stick with the 5' centers......his has been there a while...it would definitely be less weight on the poles and less work for me...but i would feel better with 5' centers

Old 01-20-2009, 10:22 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
We are doing one right now @8'o.c. (acutally 7'9" IIRC) To do that the 2x4's have to be on edge.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:03 AM
bwoldschool65
Senior User
would it be safe to get on for the roof on 10' centers.....never been on my grandads.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:25 AM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
I wouldnt go 10' O.C. Unless you are consulting an engineer.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:00 PM
bwoldschool65
Senior User
Well i got the poles up and 3 rows of the stringers before it got dark...I would post a pic but i cant figure that out....i will put my trusses on 5' centers......seems plenty safe

Quick Reply: Pole Barn Building Tips!