Heat Shields

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 09:37 AM
KJKozak2
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Heat Shields

What is a good material to use for heat shields? I want to put a 24" heat shield between my tail pipes and gas tank.

I also need one between the pipes and starter. Will the "heat tape" I keep hearing about work for this?

Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin K.

Old 08-13-2002, 07:26 PM
Chuck P.
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heat Shields

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 13-Aug-02 AT 08:29 PM (EST)]I think aluminized sheeting of some sort would reflect the heat and last, of more importance than material as such, is to keep an air gap between the sheild and the tank, my guess would be at least an inch if the exhaust is close.
Sorry, should have added, for the starter the wrap (on the starter-not the header or pipe) has worked well on the few I've seen that needed it.

Old 08-13-2002, 08:11 PM
GammaDriver
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heat Shields

http://www.thermotec.com/tt/barrier.html

Summit Racing carries it.

http://www.thermotec.com/tt/Images/barrier.jpg from the company's page: "The Aluminized Heat Barrier is made up of woven silica with a flexible aluminized finish. The highly-reflective surface of the material is capable of withstanding radiant temperatures in excess of 2000°F. This product can be installed using standard rivets with a backup washer or weather strip adhesive. The use of clamps or straps such as Thermo-Tec’s Snap Strap can be used to hold the blanket in place for manifolds or exhaust systems."

note to forum moderators: this is not an ad (by me), just meant to provide info.

Old 08-14-2002, 12:53 AM
karljay
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heat Shields

I've used the ThermoTec starter wrap and then a steel plate to protect the starter and it seems to be working great.

As for the tank, I'd look into the wrap plus a sheet of steel. I used galvinized steel on mine and it's holding up great.

Old 08-14-2002, 10:57 AM
rayray2k22002
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heat Shields