Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure what to do

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:30 AM
mstromni
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure what to do

Hey all,
I currently have a 94 302/ zf5 4x4 truck , 3" lift, with 33's and 3.55's , and overall she's in pretty good shape - I bought it mainly for commuting in the central NY snow, and occasionally towing a boat/trailer/etc. It just all feels wrong though - I don't want a lifted monster. I was considering changing gears for more highway power, but I might as well just go back to stock size tires. Then it'd look funny, so I'd have to remove the body lift. While I have the body off, and it's rusty, I could just put an extended cab/short bed body on my frame - I'd much rather have the excab and shortbed than a longbed with a toolbox eating the front foot and a half.

Cosmetically, aside from sheet metal rust (frame is in good shape, spring hangers have been replaced) . Should I put new front fenders on, sell, and look for a new truck? Is it worth doing all this work to return a salty NY truck to a nice highway truck? (I have a buddy with a 2wd excab truck he's ready to scrap, body isn't too bad)

If I do sell - how much more valuable does the ZF swap make my tuck? I had a rear driveshaft made from an old lincoln mk7 shaft - luxurious rubber insulator included!

Old 01-20-2009, 12:52 AM
drbigknuckles
Junior User
Just sell as is. And get a new truck unless you like to have your daily driver apart for a month or more. But ask the old lady first haha!! I would

Old 01-20-2009, 01:24 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Definatly sell it, swapping trannys doesnt increase the value that much. What your talking about doing is a whole ton of work!

Old 01-20-2009, 08:33 AM
mstromni
Senior User
Hey guys - yeah, it does seem like a lot of work to swap bodies. I already did swap the e4od for a ZF - that worked out great! Do you think having the HD tranny in a 1/2 ton truck is worth charging a little more?

I think i'm going to look for a 7.3 IDI turbo, or maybe a powerstroke. It seems that the turbodiesels hold value so well - 5k for a 93 and not much more than 10k for a 2000! Might have to give up this body style, since it seems like the PSD is a big improvement over the IDI.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:47 AM
dropper
Freshman User
Originally Posted by mstromni
HDo you think having the HD tranny in a 1/2 ton truck is worth charging a little more?
I think the truck would be worth more with the ZF. But that's only because every day I get in my truck I pray my e4od doesn't go out.
However some people may not know or think it's an upgrade.
I would start asking more and if I got no takers I would lower the price.