Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

86' f250 glow plugs frying

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 06:23 AM
Diesel Reaper
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86' f250 glow plugs frying

I've got an 86' f250 s/c 4x4 Lariet that has blown atleast 40 some gp since i've owned it(10 months). 1 week after i bought it, my glow plugs blew. i replaced them, except the tip was missing on 3. well i used a magnet and blew out the pre-chamber with ait and thought i got out the particles, no. Horrid sound, smashed 3 pistons. After the engine rebuild I cut out the purple wire on the gp relay and had on a toggle switch. 5 on 5 off 5 on start 5 more if it was cold out side. blew the first set in about 2 months, blew the next set in 3 1/2 months. I re hooked up the gp controller and it stays on at about 7-8 seconds, then i start. some times it startes right up, others i got to wail on the starter awhile. I refuse to use starting fluid. Anyways it's been almost 1 month since i hooked up the controller again, and it sound like i'm only firing on 2-3 chambers. I am ganna test the glugs but i can't figure out whats wrong with this truck. Im a mechanic at may trucking and am quite agitated with it's issues. 1 side topic, is this truck worth getting a banks turbo or getting a different truck, I like the mechanical engines honestly. Thanks

Old 01-07-2009, 07:19 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The very first question is what make of glow plugs are you using? If Autolite or similar you can be lucky to get one start out of them.
The experts on here will tell you only Motorcraft/Beru will do.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:29 AM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The glow plugs, what kind are you using?

Missing tips sound like one of the off brands, my guess is Autolite.

Motorcraft/Beru ZD1A is the only one you should be using.

The stock glow plug controller fails and turns the glow plugs on when not needed.
With the location of the wait to start light, you usually don't see they are on while driving.

Get the Beru plugs, manual momentary switch on the relay and heat for 10 seconds then start the engine.

Yes, if it is in the below zero temp range you may have to hit them for a couple seconds to keep the engine running after it starts.

But when it is warmer outside like in the 60's or higher 5 seconds does the trick.

In 05 I had no problems spending 4500 on a not exactly stock rebuild on my 86 with an ATS turbo system.
Runs like a new one.
Yes I like the mechanical engine as well.

By the way, Welcome to FTE and the IDI diesel forum.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Diesel Reaper
New User
The first set that blew where motorcraft, then bosch, autolites, motorcraft, and now currently autolites. When i halve to by new ones i'll bite the bullet again and buy motorcraft. I rehooked up to a toggle switch this morning so we will see how she does. I also seem to have a loss of power. For instance some days it will take off and go like a son of a bitch, other days it will be groogie and slow. Wondering mabey the fuel pump? Thanks for the help.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:10 PM
Dean88
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate to tell you this, but go ahead and bite the bullet now, and get those autolights out of there, I had a set of autolights in my 88 for less than 3 weeks and they had already started to swell the tips.

It could be a fuel pump, or simply a clogged fuel filter.

How long of cranking over does she take to fire up? How fast does she crank? How new and how big are your batts?

If you do end up getting a fuel pump, DO NOT get one from Autozone, that cost me a night of sleep trying to figure out why my truck wouldn't start after putting in a new fuel pump. I got an Airtex pump from them, then I got an Airtex pump from Oreily's, and the O'reily's pump weighed at least 50% more than the Autozone pump did. I don't know what the difference between the two was besides the weight, but I've had nothing but bad luck with Autozone parts.

If you have the money to but on a Banks or ATS kit, it is completely worth it, I love these IDI's. They are warhorses to say the least, they might be old, but they never give up.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I hope the switch was a momentary type, spring loaded to off position.

Way to easy to bump the switch to on and toast a set of plugs.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Diesel Reaper
New User
As far as the batteries, i don't know the brand but #1 is 12.6 volts w/ 874 CCA and #2 is 12.6 Volts with 836 CCA. While cranking it, sometimes it cranks fast while other times it's a little groogie or will sound groogier from the inital crank. Cranking at most 20 seconds. usually on a bad start about 12 seconds. Yeah not a big fan of auto zone either. If it is a bad starter or going bad, I'm going to just run it to the ground, cause i don't halve the money for a new starter. I just replaced the fuel filter 6 months ago. I am going to be pulling off the injection pump this weekend to reseal the injection pump cover, cause it's leaking bad and the only leak left on my engine. So if there's anythig i can do while working on it this weekend let me know thanks.