Trailer Brake Question Round II

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 03:31 PM
F-350PSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer Brake Question Round II

Ok you guys were spot on in thinking that my old connector was probably corroded. So as you guys recommended I decided to replace my whole connector with a 7 pin. This one is meant to plug in to your factory 7 pin connector but since I don't have one I figured I could splice the matching wires together. Heres the problem: there were only 5 wires going to my old one. Also it was a little sketchy how they were hooked up. Advice? Thanks
Pictures: Trailer Connections pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

Old 01-05-2009, 07:32 PM
jsimon724
Elder User
Just off the top of my head. White is ground, Brown is (I think) stop, Yellow and green are turn signals. Blue is usually power to trailer brakes (At least on a 7 pin plug, not sure about 5 pin). Like I said, off the top of my head, too lazy to look it up right now. If you've got a multimeter or even a 12 volt test light, you should be able to check for stop, right and left. Or pull a tail-light and check which color goes to which function. Other 2 wires are constant 12v+ and aux (I think). Again, me being lazy. Run 12v from fused source (probably have to add fuse holder). Seriously, if you do a quick search, you should be able to find wiring schematic for 7 pin connector. Hopefully, this was at least a little bit helpful. Anyway, if you're still stuck, PM me and I'll look into it a little more.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Steina
CO River Rat