6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Clicking sound from engine.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 02:33 PM
riverrat69
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clicking sound from engine.

I've had my 2008 F350 Dually for about 17 months and just turned 20,000 miles. Job 1. I've had the radiator replaced and the Venturi T installed.
On Dec. 21st.(4 degrees outside) I started it up to leave for work(always garaged) and there was a new clicking sound(could hear it from inside the cab) coming from under the hood. Sounded like it was just behind the radiator, but I couldn't pinpoint it. I went ahead and drove it to work and when I got there(approx. 11 miles) the noise had disappeared. I've always had the dreaded ticking sound from day one, so that wasn't it.
Now everytime I start it up, the noise is there and after the engine has been run for a while, it goes away.
I just got back from my dealership, I had them listen to it, only by the time I got it to them, the noise was gone. They want me to leave it with them next week, so they can start it while cold. The service writer said that it might be the turbos. He said when I start it, they don't have enough oil and they make noise. After they get warmed up and oiled up, they quiet down. Does this sound right? This is my first diesel and I'm not sure what to think.
After they did the Venturi T,(last month) I've had to add coolant twice, got me thinking it might be a water pump going bad. He said that if it was the water pump, the noise would not go away and would be getting louder.
Sorry this is so long, I need some reassurance that it is okay to drive. They said go ahead and use it. I have to haul horses this weekend and don't want any surprises.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

Old 12-30-2008, 02:53 PM
6LPSD
Senior User
could be something with the fan, fan belt accessories, etc. i had my fan belt replaced because it was making a noise similar to this because it was getting abnormally worn, still if it is under warrenty let the dealer see if they can pin point it and get it done for free.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:45 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I would drive it this weekend and let them have it during the week to start it when cold.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:21 PM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
If they think it's the turbos try adding some Lucas oil stabilizer to see if it helps. It will defiantly help keep the turbos lubed up when the truck's sitting.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:33 AM
sbenedini
New User
Mine did that for about 500 miles before it blew up.....sounds like yours is a ticking time bomb!!!!!

Old 02-11-2009, 06:46 AM
riverrat69
New User
Sorry, that I had not posted anything or a while. It turned out to be a problem with the idler pulley. There was a TSB 07-23-9 concerning the noise and what to replace. The dealership had my truck for 3 days until I gave them the info about the TSB and then they were able to fix it in under 4 hours!!
Fast forward a couple of weeks and the noise is still gone. Have read on other posts that the idler pulley sometimes fails again. Will have to wait and see.
I threw a check engine light 2 weeks ago and dropped by the dealership. Turns out my Job 1 truck needed 2 flashes. TSB 08-25-9 and 08B07. Got them both done in under an hour and was back on the road. I'm not convinced that the new 08B07 flash was a good decision. Truck runs great and accelerates better, but my boost is rarely below 15-20lbs. and my mileage has dropped by about 1-1.5 mpg. I've not seen the CLEANING EXHAUST message yet but my wife has. She said that it was only on for about 10 miles. I'll have to give it some more time. Not much I can do about it now.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:54 AM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sbenedini
Mine did that for about 500 miles before it blew up.....sounds like yours is a ticking time bomb!!!!!
Did you have it looked at when it was ticking? What did the dealer say?

Old 02-26-2009, 10:18 PM
jcqpainting
Freshman User
jcq 6.4

Originally Posted by riverrat69
I've had my 2008 F350 Dually for about 17 months and just turned 20,000 miles. Job 1. I've had the radiator replaced and the Venturi T installed.
On Dec. 21st.(4 degrees outside) I started it up to leave for work(always garaged) and there was a new clicking sound(could hear it from inside the cab) coming from under the hood. Sounded like it was just behind the radiator, but I couldn't pinpoint it. I went ahead and drove it to work and when I got there(approx. 11 miles) the noise had disappeared. I've always had the dreaded ticking sound from day one, so that wasn't it.
Now everytime I start it up, the noise is there and after the engine has been run for a while, it goes away.
I just got back from my dealership, I had them listen to it, only by the time I got it to them, the noise was gone. They want me to leave it with them next week, so they can start it while cold. The service writer said that it might be the turbos. He said when I start it, they don't have enough oil and they make noise. After they get warmed up and oiled up, they quiet down. Does this sound right? This is my first diesel and I'm not sure what to think.
After they did the Venturi T,(last month) I've had to add coolant twice, got me thinking it might be a water pump going bad. He said that if it was the water pump, the noise would not go away and would be getting louder.
Sorry this is so long, I need some reassurance that it is okay to drive. They said go ahead and use it. I have to haul horses this weekend and don't want any surprises.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
i took my in and they check it and tall me is a smoll exsust lick and when it gets hot it goes away when the manifal expands is not bad unles ur gasget brakes