Sponsored by: Moser

Percentage of work done yourself, on your truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 03:41 PM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Percentage of work done yourself, on your truck

No matter how crude or perfect your truck is,how many people do all of there own work? How much is farmed out to others to get what you want?

I have done most of my resto myself. My father did my paint cause he had more time than I at that time. We built are paint booth out of pvc and plastic dropcloths.I did all of my mechanical myself. I paid for my dual exhaust,and if my transmission goes I would probably have a shop rebuild that. Other than exhaust and transmission, good and bad, my truck will be done by me.

I am wondering how many others do the same.I know from what I read here, there are many talented people on this site. I ask because my truck is almost complete, but after all of my time (lots of it) I think I might have around $5,000.00 invested. I am not going for showroom quality, just a real nice daily driver. I have torn the whole truck down and brought it back up.(new rubbers, felts, engine, exhaust, bodywork, paint,wheels,and interior)Does farmed out work really cost so much to get to $40,000 and $50,000 for a restoration to a basically stock truck That I am assuming would be mint condition? Am I at the right amount for my resto of a daily driver.

I hope I expressed this clearly. Basically I am looking for the percentage of people here that do there own work vs. a shop doing it all for you. I do not wish to offend because there is nothing wrong with a shop doing the work. Sometimes I wish I could have someone else do my trucks.

Thanks, if anyone wants to reply.
Kyle

Old 12-26-2008, 04:58 PM
78ford351m
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not me. You save a ton of $$ and learn how to do it. There's only one way to learn I've always said. Heck, I've never welded and I need to put new bed sides on my box. Will I do it? Hell yeah. I remember tearing my first motor apart having no clue what I was doing. Took me forever to get it running right, but did I learn? Second, I always do my work myself because you know it's done right. I've heard too many horror stories about people getting ripped off. In all, do it yourself and it's done right.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Dr. Dirt
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not going through a restore, but if something goes wrong it's me, dad, or dad's buddy working on it. I work and help as much as I can. I don't know a lot of things about motors, but it's a lot more than most 17 year olds.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:28 PM
73f100shortbed
Postmaster
I do all my own work. The only thing I did not do personally was the state inspection, but I did put the sticker in my windshield.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:08 PM
murph77
Elder User
I've always done the work myself. This might require a lot of footnotes- (dudes that have helped me, told me what to do, or called me "*******" along the way). Nonetheless, I have learned the little bit I know by turning wrenches... smiling all the way.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:10 PM
dakonthemountain
Elder User

I have done "a lot" of the work myself. All the electrical, , tuning (with my buddy) some fuel system work, some of the suspension work (50%?) all the weatherseal/glass replacement work, carpet, etc., hoses, basic upkeep work. Brake work, except the master cylinder (no time!) I have paid others to also do a lot of the work, like replacing the rear end and other heavy stuff that I either didn't have the time or knowledge or tools to do. I don't have a garage so anytime I need to do anything I have to set up and take down the same day. I have learned a lot by doing and books and you guys on this site. I retire in 3 years and hope to be able to do more as the needs arise. All in all I would say I have done a total of about 70-75% of the work myself.
Dak

Old 12-26-2008, 07:16 PM
rich51fordtruck
Junior User
I always try to do everything myself. I at least try first, then if i fail or cannot get it correct i ask buddies for help and farm it out as a last resort. Reason being is i just want learn and enjoy doing it.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:20 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Aside from physically casting the engine block, stamping the fender in the factory press, etc I have done it all.

You estimate of $5k is probably right, and maybe cheap. I have about $7k in my truck including a 4wd conversion and all new stuff top to bottom. The conversion cost me about a grand in parts.

I have shortened driveshafts, rebuilt the trans, even painted it. I hate bodywork, though.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:42 PM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really hope this thread was not taken the wrong way. This said,from what I see so far, I think I just found my new computer friends so far.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:47 PM
straightsix4x4
Elder User
I do all my own, even exaust. I have never had a tranny apart farther than the pan, but this spring mine is getting rebuilt, in my garage!! I'm sure it won't be fun and games but when its done I will have accomplished something worth while

Old 12-26-2008, 07:53 PM
4x4 Bart
Fleet Mechanic
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
I have about $7k resto in my daily driver, did all but the paint and rebuilding the head and I can do the paint but its bad for your health unless you wear a space suit.
Took a rusted out 79 F250 4x4 ($350) and put a rust free 79 F150 2x4 body on it. The 2x4 body was an automatic so I had to cut the floor out for my 4 speed, change out the pedals, and change out the steering column for 4x4.
Did all the body work and preped for paint inside and out.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:28 PM
garypettengill
Laughing Gas
I believe I'm on a first name basis with every nut, bolt, washer and screw on my truck. I have had help doing some things(transmission rebuild/AC service) but I'm right in there doing the work too. I think you will find that is the story with most of us hanging out here. These things are our therpy.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:31 PM
77Explorer
Senior User
100% here !!

Old 12-26-2008, 09:57 PM
ShamelessMT
Elder User
I'll admit that there are a couple of things that I haven't done myself, such as rebuild the motor and rebuild the transmission, but the reason why is purely for warranty. As this is my daily driver and gets used to pull some heavy trailers along with spending time offroad, I wanted those 2 crucial parts of my truck to be worry free.

Personally, I'll never try to work on an automatic transmission, mostly because I don't desire that knowledge, but I have rebuilt a couple engines. This engine had a lot of work done to it, so I pulled and installed, but left the building to the professionals.

As for everything else, it's all me.

That said, I still have around $15,000 into my truck, though you couldn't tell by looking. I guess it depends on what kind of parts you're putting into it. For example, when my radiator sprung a leak the other day, instead of just getting it repaired, I opted to buy a new crossflow aluminum one. Along with that came an electric fan, new hoses, new transmission cooler (wanted a larger one, since the radiator doesn't have one), new thermostat, new water temp gauge (along with trans temp and oil pressure gauges), and a weekend of work. Just one weekend and there's about $1000.

It can really add up.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:25 PM
Tees77f150
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I like to work on my own truck. That way I know what has been done and I feel like I get to know the truck more personally. Like said before, it’s like therapy to go to the garage, and work on it, and get something accomplished, and bring the ol’ dentside back to, or at least closer to its former glory.

So far, I have done everything except rebuilt the carburetor, which I know nothing about, and didn’t want to make it a bigger problem. I know I will appreciate it, and will enjoy driving it more knowing; I did most of the work myself. My dent won’t be a daily driver unless necessity forces that hand. And if it does, I want it to be to the task.

This also has me honing my mechanical skill which has gotten rust over the years, due to sending all repairs off to the garage to get fixed. Just today I went out and worked on the transmission, and got that completed, and next, I am looking at working on the fuel system, rear end, and exhaust.

After that its going to be shocks, radio, heat and the list goes on, and on, but its fun for the most part.. Except for those occasional issues that gets you frustrated.

BOTTOM LINE: The feeling of accomplishment makes it all worth it. You really get to know a lot about your truck, and they are not overly complicated vehicles mechanically. Not to mention our dientsides are a good looking truck and they always turn my head every time I see one!

Quick Reply: Percentage of work done yourself, on your truck