Notices

Being Prepared

Old 12-25-2008, 04:51 PM
culprit117
Senior User
culprit117 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Being Prepared

Ok, I would like to think that I'm one to be prepared if I come into anything that might happen to me...

In the past, I've carried a CLS (Military First Responders Bag (Not Medics Bag)) Tow Chains, Tools, and Jumper Cables as well as at least 1 spare tire (full size)

I've also carried a single spare for the trailer I was towing (1 axle)

however....

I've never done as much weight in a trailer, nor as far at one time as I am going to be doing when I get back. I was wondering if there's any type of "emergency" kit i should carry with me?

I already have 2 spares for a 2 axle trailer. the trailer is a 8.5'x21' trailer (18+3 vnose...) with 12000lbs gvwr. Anything I should carry specifically or go out and get? Road cones?

Thanks

Matt

Old 12-25-2008, 09:00 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
This might seem like overkill but here are some of the things I like to have on board just in case:

1) Fire Extinguisher
2) Safety Triangles
3) Road Flares
4) I don't particularly like it but I carry at least one large container of some type of tire sealant like Slime or something like it.
5) A 12 volt air compressor
6) Extra tie downs such as nylon ratchet straps (bunjy cords will work in a pinch)
7) Depending on whether you're towing a flatbed or enclosed, extra tarps, etc.
8) Some dielectric type grease for the wiring connectors

These are just some that I use in addition to your list and I'm sure others will chime in here as well. After reading your previous posts when you were getting ready to order your truck, I was just wondering what it is you're going to be towing that's this heavy and how far you have to tow it, if you don't mind me asking.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:35 AM
maevans
Posting Guru
maevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud ofmaevans has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by powerstroke72 View Post
This might seem like overkill but here are some of the things I like to have on board just in case:

1) Fire Extinguisher
2) Safety Triangles
3) Road Flares
4) I don't particularly like it but I carry at least one large container of some type of tire sealant like Slime or something like it.
5) A 12 volt air compressor
6) Extra tie downs such as nylon ratchet straps (bunjy cords will work in a pinch)
7) Depending on whether you're towing a flatbed or enclosed, extra tarps, etc.
8) Some dielectric type grease for the wiring connectors

These are just some that I use in addition to your list and I'm sure others will chime in here as well. After reading your previous posts when you were getting ready to order your truck, I was just wondering what it is you're going to be towing that's this heavy and how far you have to tow it, if you don't mind me asking.
9) Extra set of Traier wheel bearings
10) Mini Grease gun.
11) Wheel chocks
12) Extra light bulbs

Old 12-26-2008, 04:15 PM
culprit117
Senior User
Thanks for the information guys.

As for what I'm towing.... (the big items at least... AKA Everything I own)

24 Gun Gun Safe
2 ATV's
Riding Lawn Mower
Small Lawn Trailer
More Weapons than some small police Departments
Furniture
Tools

I think that about covers everything thats big that I am towing

As for distance... I'd say.... 4-5k miles total

Old 12-26-2008, 04:23 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Glad to help. Good luck with your trip and stay safe. Also, is your trailer enclosed, flatbed, etc.? Was just thinking also, if you're traveling that far, you'll likely be traveling across some real climate changes. You might also want to think about the basics for yourself if you haven't already like some extra warm clothes, sleeping bags, extra food, water. One biggie I forgot that you may already have in your gear is a good first aid kit. A good GPS never hurt either.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:32 PM
culprit117
Senior User
The trailer is enclosed, so thats one good thing for me, I just have to make sure that the ramp is good and locked.

As for the climate changes I am prepared for that, and interestingly enough, I normally wear jeans and a t-shirt in colder weather. So there isn't much on the side for the clothing. Thanks for the thought of the sleeping bag. I normally forget about that part of the trip. The food I normally pick up when I fuel up (if i'm hungry)

Thanks for the GPS, I thought about just using my phone (Verizon Navigator ability) but then I remembered that it doesn't always get reception.

As for the first aid, I got that one more than covered (and if you want to see someone give themselves an IV it's a funny site)

Glad to know that everyone here is very friendly and helpful. Don't worry, I'll be taking lots of pictures, and I'll make sure to post what the vehicle looks like before driving so you all can honk and wave as you pass me.

Matt

Old 12-27-2008, 12:17 AM
Spamjohnson
Senior User
Spamjohnson is starting off with a positive reputation.
Don't forget a good jack and a 4 way wheel wrench sized for the trailer nuts.

Looking at the national weather lately, a good set of Army cold weather gear would be in order. Nothing worse than working on the side of the road in jeans and a tee-shirt in minus 10 degrees.

Sam ex Navy

Old 12-27-2008, 05:33 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.
Don't forget flashlight or LED light. Tie wire, duct tape.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:55 AM
cangim
Postmaster
cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.
By good jack, I would recommend replacing the stock jack with a 6ton bottle jack. Essentially the same size, but a whole lot easier to use.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:22 AM
dchamberlain
Post Fiend
dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
I don't know exactly what weather conditions you are expecting to experience, but I don't think anyone mentioned tire chains. I carry a set for the truck, and a set for the trailer. Many states require you to carry them, and many states will require you to use them, so if you don't have them you're stuck buying them at a usually highly inflated rate.

Here in the Pacific NW, we have a tire company called Les Schwab tires. They will let you purchase the chains, then if you don't use them, they will let you return them and will refund you the full purchase price. This is good if you're making a one time trip. I don't know if any of the national type stores have that policy but you could check.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:23 PM
culprit117
Senior User
Thanks for the help, things have been most helpful and informative

Matt

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.