300I6 / Cummins sound?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 03:03 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300I6 / Cummins sound?

Hi guys and galls. I didn't want to make a thread for this, but search wouldn't give me anything. I'm starting to think the search system has been on the fritz lately.. It's not pulling up stuff I know should be there.
Maybe not?

Anyway, here's my question.

What is the best way to make a 300 sound like a Cummins, excluding straight piping? Would the Flowmaster 10 series (Cherry Bomb Extreme) produce more of a Cummins sound?

I don't plan on doing anything yet, but I can see my exhaust system isn't going to last very long and I was thinking of going with a much more simple set up and try to get more of a Cummins sound at the same time if this is possible.

Thanks everyone, and Merry Christmas!

Old 12-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Jason Lewis
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
isn't going to last very long?

It looks new to me,

with the Cherry Bomb Extreme it would be loud (Dont know if it would sound like a Tractor or not).

One more queston about your tips how long are thay 13"?

"Merry Christmas"

Old 12-24-2008, 09:54 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Jason Lewis
isn't going to last very long?

It looks new to me,

with the Cherry Bomb Extreme it would be loud (Dont know if it would sound like a Tractor or not).

One more queston about your tips how long are thay 13"?

"Merry Christmas"
Merry Christmas Jason!!!

I made a big mistake and didn't get all stainless when I had my exhaust work done. All of my working driving time is very short, so a LOT of water just sits in my pipes all day long, every day. Add on top of that the humidity and you have a nasty combo. I imagine my exhaust work won't last very long.

Not sure how long my tips are. Exhaust shop had bigger though, which I wanted. I did get these because they fit better when I had them exit in front of the rear tire. I believe they are 3.50'' x 18''.. Not positive. How bad do you want to know? I can measure them tomorrow no problem!

Old 12-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Jason Lewis
Posting Guru
I am getting my exhaust re done next month New Cherry Bomb Extreme SIDO Side exit in front like you used to have wanted to know what size to get.

Well see how loud it will be with tips out the side its all ready loud in the cab.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:11 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
I am getting my exhaust re done next month New Cherry Bomb Extreme SIDO Side exit in front like you used to have wanted to know what size to get.

Well see how loud it will be with tips out the side its all ready loud in the cab.
Okay, then you'll probably end up with the same size tips I got. That's why I got the size I got. It's going to be awful loud in your cab. Have you soundproofed your cab? Your truck will sound good though! I thought you already had the Extreme?

Old 12-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Jason Lewis
Posting Guru
I do its a SISO dumped Though, And its loud in the cab now so i am used to it, I got to get a Single In Dual Out version of the muffler. I wonder if the cab volume will increse after the Side Exit.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:30 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
I wonder if the cab volume will increse after the Side Exit.
I don't know.. I can't see how it would though. It can only help. I think the reason mine was so loud is because of the tips. For instance! The tips exited flush with my truck's body. In theory the noise should have been swallowed up by the wind when I'm driving. Well, echo tipps do their job well. They echo. And because the tips were so long it was just like having my flowmaster dumped. I wonder if I used just regular pipes if it wouldn't have been so loud?
Since you are also going to use tips (will look so sweet) I believe it will still be just as loud. I don't know how you take it though, mine was killing my ears.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Jason Lewis
Posting Guru
Yea around 1,000 to 2,500 rpm's just crusing theres a DEEP Rumble in side the cab about 8dbs. I need to go and buy a Camcorder all ready so i can post some vid's.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:49 AM
flowriteexhaust
Freshman User
The larger diameter tip will definitely make the vehicle louder

Old 12-29-2008, 05:57 PM
IcemanV8
Senior User
My cousin used to have a slant 6 dodge truck, whatever that 225 ci or around there engine was. He had a glass pack on it under the middle of the truck, and no piping after that to come out the back.

It was extremely loud and sounded like a dump truck. So, if it made it sound like a diesel, I'm sure a glass pack would have a good effect on your truck.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:10 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by IcemanV8
My cousin used to have a slant 6 dodge truck, whatever that 225 ci or around there engine was. He had a glass pack on it under the middle of the truck, and no piping after that to come out the back.

It was extremely loud and sounded like a dump truck. So, if it made it sound like a diesel, I'm sure a glass pack would have a good effect on your truck.
Thanks Iceman. After listening to my truck a bit more I've decided it sounds enough like a cummins / diesel that I'm satisfied with it.
Nothing beats the sound of a V8, but boy I do like the sound of a Cummins.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:56 PM
rockin300
Post Fiend
hollow the cats if u dont have inspections and add a cherrybomb muffler with a larger tip like a 4'' or 5''

Old 01-05-2009, 07:01 PM
rockin300
Post Fiend
hollow the cats, add a glasspack with a Y pipe and dual tail pipes with larger tips like 4'' or 5'' sorry i dubble posted damn computer is junk happy new year

Old 01-05-2009, 07:04 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by rockin300
hollow the cats, add a glasspack with a Y pipe and dual tail pipes with larger tips like 4'' or 5''

Thanks rockin. Like I said after getting the chance to hear my truck being driven and driving it myself I've decided it sounds enough like a diesel to make me happy.

I'm secretly a Diesel lover. I'm just stuck with a gasser.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:17 PM
rockin300
Post Fiend
thats ok im a v8 lover but im stuck with a i6 but im getting used to it

Quick Reply: 300I6 / Cummins sound?