N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Whats Your Opinion ? Should A 16 Year Old Kid Have A Mucsle Car As A First Car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 02:32 PM
bigearl1369
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Whats Your Opinion ? Should A 16 Year Old Kid Have A Mucsle Car As A First Car?

I'm starting this thread because as you all know i was going to sell the the low down my 1979 f-100. Sweet truck if i do say so myself.

Anyway while the add was running i got a lot of lookie lews wanting to get the truck for pretty much nothing for their 16 year old kid who just got their licencse. Which is one of my big petpeavs i feel that no kid should have a muscle car / hot rod as a first car. No matter how responceible their parents think they are. I know for myself i still do stupid stuff like burn off the tires race mustangs and cameros and i'm 37 years old. Now you give a kid a car / truck with that much power no supervision as soon as they are away from home they are going to be all in the back barrels of the carburator. Doing that same stuff with no real driving experience at all. Now our toys are old heavy steel when cars and trucks were American made made the American way. ad that to horse power and you got a killing machine to what ever it hits. ( i know a lil extream but you get the point. )

What is your opinion on this subject?

P.S.
If a kid wants a mucsle car or truck they should have to build it and learn a lil respect for horse power and real steel as they build the ride.
It breaks my heart to see kids driving a nice older muscle car / truck that mom and dad bought for them knowing that someone is going to get hurt & it is going to be trashed in most cases.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:54 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Depends on the kid and the parents, but I would say NO. I would give my kid (if I had one) a two seater Toyota pickup or Ranger. Very underpowered, pretty safe, and can't haul too many friends. When gas goes back to $4 a gallon plus,how will the kid pay for the gas, unless the bank of Mom and Dad help them out.

A friend of mine sold his 1998 Cobra Mustang last year. He refused to sell it to anyone under 25 for that reason.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:13 PM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would like to say yes. Cause I had a Camaro when I was 16, but will also say No. For the same reason. I had a Camaro when I was 16, and know what kids will do when parents are not there. Luckly for me nothing bad ever happened. Probably should have cause of the way I drove it.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:33 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
I'm biased...I started off in a '57 Chevy PU with a '70 LS5 454 (factory 390hp/490ft/lb tq). Raced anyone and everyone who'd run me. WOre out more rear tires than I can remember. Never wrecked or got close to wrecking it...that said, my kids will all get Yugo's when they get thier DL

Old 12-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Saleenguy
Postmaster
Depends on the kid really.
Half would likely be okay, the other half are dangerous enough in a gutless 4 cylinder heap, forget a monster V8.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:33 PM
f2501967
Senior User
i say no. at 16 he/she should not have a muscle car/truck as a first vehicle.

i was reckless myself, never owned a hot rod or fast vehicle before. i first drove my parents 1977 monte carlo. v-8 with 4bbl. had fun with it until my mom traded it in for a ford futura. of course i was the reason she got rid of it, wore out the engine, broke the rear axle, and almost ruined the tranny. after all was fixed, she would not sell to me, saying that she and my dad put too much money into it.

and i had a friend from back east who had a 1968 mustang fastback with a killer 428cj in it. when he was selling it, a kid wanted it and he told the kid and the kids mom no!!
but she threated him with a law suit, based on civil rights violation. so he sold it to her just to avoid any problems. but he did have her sign a paper stating that he would no be held responsible if anything happen to her son or any one else because the car was too poweful for him.
well about 1-2 months later, she tried to sue him for selling her son a too powerful car, he went to court with the notorized paper that she and he signed. the judge threw it out.

Old 12-25-2008, 06:08 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 685 Likes on 398 Posts
Well in a couple years my son will get my truck in my sig and I will buy a new truck to drive.I feel safe with him driving knowing that it`s a heck of alot stronger than wife`s 4 runner.

Hanklin

Old 12-25-2008, 06:57 AM
truckeradg86
Senior User
idk why everyone wants to regulate someone else are we not in america i am 22 my self but i wish someone had the guts to tell me no i cant buy there car cause im too young if anyone shouldnt be driving its grandma with no kind of reaction time yea some kids shouldnt drive fast cars hell more kids die by me in accidents then anyone else mostly cause dui than anything else but parents know if there kid can handle a car responsibly... besides there is nothing like having the coolest car in highschool

Old 12-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Bart8109
Senior User
Not if the kid is like I was. They should all learn to drive on a moped. T86 is correct, driving is the most dangerous thing a (normal) teenager does, let them learn with something sensible and safe. And older drivers should have to take a driving test every two or three years from 60 or 65 yoa. JMO of course, but driving is a very serious business, let's make sure people are prepared to do it.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Rockstone
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, not exactly a muscle car, but at 16 I bought a 65 mustang A code 289 with top loader 4 speed. That was the first of many progressively faster mustangs I owned as a teen. I would not stop my son from going in that direction, and glad my Dad didn't either.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:42 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 134 Likes on 128 Posts
I would have to say NO. There is no reason to give a 16 year old a muscle car. Statistics don't lie. There is a reason why insurance rates for males 16-25 are higher than any other age group. Throw in a high performance car, and you are just asking for a midnight call from the local Police. I learned to drive in a 1974 four door Dodge Dart with a 318 2bbl. I know what I did in that thing, and I am blessed that I am alive today. I can only imagine what would have happened had I had any more HP under the hood.

Case in point: There was a high school student back then (I can't remember his name) who was given a 1971 Dodge Challenger R/T (I don't remember what engine it had, but it is safe to say it was NOT a 318) and he had it less than a month before deciding to "show off" one day as he entered the high school parking lot. He lost control, and was hit by an oncoming car. Luckily for him he was not seriously injured, but I never saw him drive that car again. His parents took it away. But in my opinion, they should never have given it to him in the first place.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:06 AM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im going to have to go with no on this you too.... There are very few 16y/o's out there that have enough common sense and responsibility to take care of a muscle car... Let alone the constant nagging by friends to do something stupid! I didnt get my license till i was 18. And the more i think about it the more im liking the idea of moving the legal driving age back to 18... I had two 5.0 mercury capri's...the first was a 79 and the second was an 86. i almost hurt myself numerous times in both of them.... NOT because i was being stupid but because i had no idea how to handle a vehicle when something went wrong... Especially something with crappy rear traction alot of power and short wheel base and a 5 speed. My first car was a 86 mazda 626 and that thing got the crap beat out of it because i was too young to care! Fortunately enough that car didnt have enough power to get myself killed... Everything from revers J turns to lunch tray skiing.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:18 AM
truckeradg86
Senior User
Maybee you guys would rather the test be harder... it would be easier to regulate than peoples kids

Old 12-28-2008, 11:25 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
duh...........

Old 12-28-2008, 12:07 PM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by truckeradg86
Maybee you guys would rather the test be harder... it would be easier to regulate than peoples kids
not a bad idea

Quick Reply: Whats Your Opinion ? Should A 16 Year Old Kid Have A Mucsle Car As A First Car?