Does Bio Separate?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 09:00 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does Bio Separate?

This may be a little off topic, but I figured this group would have good info for me. I have a customer looking to convert to Biodiesel (B10 made with Soy) for a standby generator in one of their buildings. The concern is that they have been told that Bio separates after 6 months and then causes problems. Can someone help enlighten me on this? I run Bio in my truck, but I purchase it from a retailer and I'm not well versed on it.

As a side note, I run B20 for home heating and the tank was filled in March and not filled again until Thanksgiving. I didn't notice any issues with my boiler operation in that time frame.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:06 PM
97biostroke
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The shelf life of biodiesel has been said to be around 6 months, but if its quality fuel it can last longer. The more oxygen it gets, the faster it goes bad, so a full air tight tank not in the sun like what you have would be fine for longer amounts of time. And with B10, the biodiesel may settle to the bottle of the tank since it is more dense, but that shouldn't cause any problems

Old 12-24-2008, 08:07 AM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info.