6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Coolant Filters

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 06:29 PM
04F-250mark
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Filters

I was wandering if anybody could put some pic of there coolant filter setup. I went to a international dealer today and they said i could buy the filter and the head is what they called it for $30.00 the whole set up for about 50 dollars .Instead of 140 from dieslesite THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
There are pictures on the Dieselsite.com website in the 6.0L section. Actually, these are my pictures of my installation and my first filter change showing the crud it removed!!! I was sold after cutting open my first filter... that's why I submitted my pictures to Dieselsite.com.

The issue will be getting the proper "T" for the large heater hose. You need a "T" that fits the large heater hose and adapts down to the smaller hose going to the filter housing. As well, you'll need to fabricate a bracket to hold the filter housing.

None of this is impossible, but personally, the time and money spent tracking down all the hardware, fittings, brackets and such is more than I am willing to spend... and to buy a "kit" that is already to go was worth every penny to me!!!

I know "home-made" kits have been done and using plumbing supplies and parts from NAPA it can be done, but you will still have to fab-up a bracket to hold the filter housing.

Good luck... but personally... just spend the money at Dieselsite and get it installed next weekend (they ship same or next day) and UPS will get it to you in 3 - 5 days!!!

Again... good luck with your project.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:08 PM
c.f.moore
Senior User
04F-250Mark,

I put together a coolant filter system for my truck. See - http://www.dfuser.com/Install%20Guid...filter_kit.pdf for ideas and guidance.

Once I gathered the parts, took all of about 15 minutes to make the bracket and mount it. Another 15 minutes to install the rest of the parts (Tees, hoses, and screw on the filter).

Works as advertised. I am about $65 into all the parts (including the shut off valves).

Lets see ---- $65 versus $140

Good luck

Old 12-20-2008, 01:36 AM
WilliesSD250
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
There are pictures on the Dieselsite.com website in the 6.0L section. Actually, these are my pictures of my installation and my first filter change showing the crud it removed!!! I was sold after cutting open my first filter... that's why I submitted my pictures to Dieselsite.com.

The issue will be getting the proper "T" for the large heater hose. You need a "T" that fits the large heater hose and adapts down to the smaller hose going to the filter housing. As well, you'll need to fabricate a bracket to hold the filter housing.

None of this is impossible, but personally, the time and money spent tracking down all the hardware, fittings, brackets and such is more than I am willing to spend... and to buy a "kit" that is already to go was worth every penny to me!!!

I know "home-made" kits have been done and using plumbing supplies and parts from NAPA it can be done, but you will still have to fab-up a bracket to hold the filter housing.

Good luck... but personally... just spend the money at Dieselsite and get it installed next weekend (they ship same or next day) and UPS will get it to you in 3 - 5 days!!!

Again... good luck with your project.
Take BBC's advice, he's a guru on this as well as oil use and oil analysis.I heed'ed his advice and it's done wonders for me.
Glad to have you back Jeff..............

Old 12-20-2008, 06:19 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by c.f.moore
04F-250Mark,

I put together a coolant filter system for my truck. See - http://www.dfuser.com/Install%20Guid...filter_kit.pdf for ideas and guidance.

Once I gathered the parts, took all of about 15 minutes to make the bracket and mount it. Another 15 minutes to install the rest of the parts (Tees, hoses, and screw on the filter).

Works as advertised. I am about $65 into all the parts (including the shut off valves).

Good luck
Thats all fine and well, but honestly how much time did you spend researching, driving and gathering all needed supplies? My time is of some value, and when I bought it fuel was well over $4/gal. Plus I like when UPS/ FedEx drops stuff off at the house, like mini- Xmases throughout the year! Just my .02, but to each their own. I'm with BBC on this one.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:38 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
04F-250Mark,

Good luck
Looks good and I am sure it is working for you.

Hey, I am in no way stating that the Dieselsite.com product is the only one to use, and it isn't. At the time I bought mine, it was the only option available to me. After review of the above "kit" it is a direct knock-off of the Dieselsite kit... but personally, I like the fact that the Dieselsite kit looks "cleaner" and there are less connections to leak or fail. The brass fittings may never, but I just like the "cleaner look" of the Dieselsite kit.

But hey... it looks like the "red-neck" team kit works just as well as the concept is exactly the same.

Good luck and send us some pictures of how it turns out.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:15 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Maybe it's because I'm a little lazy, but it certainly is convenient to have the whole package at my fingertips. No searching around for parts, it's all right there. Done and done.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:29 AM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by D8chumley
Maybe it's because I'm a little lazy, but it certainly is convenient to have the whole package at my fingertips. No searching around for parts, it's all right there. Done and done.
D8chumley I am with you on this one. I give everyone who makes their own and saves some money a lot of credit. But for me, part of the enjoyment of installing the filter is having everything already there, fitting well, and requiring as little fabrication as possible.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:03 PM
w_huisman
Elder User

Originally Posted by D8chumley
The other side of the coin is that some people enjoy the challenge of making their own. I bought the kit, but I certainly don't mind if folks enjoy putting something together on their own either.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The kit from the Dieselsite.com is nice, and its complete. I aam also sure that if there is some issue with the workmanship of the Billet Tee that causes a leak, or one of the other parts may become an issue down the road the folks at the dieselsite will not leave you high and dry. That, along with the time and fuel cost, was a big factor on a kit as oppsed to makeing mine. Also the kit is not 140.00 I paid 119.00, unless the price changed. I bought in October.

Sarge

Old 12-21-2008, 02:08 PM
dcaddi2
Elder User
My attention is not to hijack the thread, I'm all for the coolant filter, either from Dieselsite, or homemade.
I've got mine from Dieselsite a couple of month ago, and I just changed the 3rd filter today. Again, this is the 3rd filter: (just to show the importance )

Attached Images   
Old 12-21-2008, 02:16 PM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dcaddi2
My attention is not to hijack the thread, I'm all for the coolant filter, either from Dieselsite, or homemade.
I've got mine from Dieselsite a couple of month ago, and I just changed the 3rd filter today. Again, this is the 3rd filter: (just to show the importance )
How are you determining the filter change rate? Do you notice flow slow down or stoppage? I installed mine about a month ago and curious to figure out when the best time to change it is.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:28 PM
dcaddi2
Elder User
Originally Posted by dschuffert
How are you determining the filter change rate? Do you notice flow slow down or stoppage? I installed mine about a month ago and curious to figure out when the best time to change it is.

I changed the first one in like 2-3 weeks, and it was jammed with mud!
I knew, that's not it, so I decided to "burn" through a few filters - just in case. This was the third one in less than 3 months, and I think I'll keep the 4th one on for a little longer.
The easiest way to touch the hoses with hand - Carefully - and if you can feel temperature difference between the in and out side, your filter probably clogging up. But I never waited that long, so I don't have the personal experience for that.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:34 PM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dschuffert
Originally Posted by dcaddi2
I changed the first one in like 2-3 weeks, and it was jammed with mud!
I knew, that's not it, so I decided to "burn" through a few filters - just in case. This was the third one in less than 3 months, and I think I'll keep the 4th one on for a little longer.
The easiest way to touch the hoses with hand - Carefully - and if you can feel temperature difference between the in and out side, your filter probably clogging up. But I never waited that long, so I don't have the personal experience for that.
Thanks. I am going to order a few more today. I suspect I'll be changing my first one when the order comes in.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:41 PM
conger
Posting Guru
04F-250Mark,

Good luck
Nice job, great pics.....If I didn't know better, I'd think I was looking at the dieselsite pics. I went with the dieselsite kit myself. I almost wish I would have seen these before I bought it. Don't get me wrong I like the kit, but I wish I had more spare time to fabricate. That's fun as well and there can be a real sense of satifaction from coming up with something all by yourself.

Quick Reply: Coolant Filters