Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Escape in snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 09:27 AM
brooklyn born
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Escape in snow

Can anyone tell me how capable their Escape Awd is in deep snow?

Old 12-19-2008, 02:37 PM
V X
Senior User
It is like driving downtown in Aruba.
Very capable. It is the other clowns on the road you will have to look out for.
I hate clowns.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:54 PM
5_labsownus
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 1,491 Likes on 1,395 Posts
With in a week of pruchasing our 02 escape we had ice and snow. I had no problems with traction and found later that with 4wd off the system kicked in and had better traction on ice and snow. I have had it in about 1 foot of snow and other 4x4s were stuck and I kept going.

Rod

Old 12-20-2008, 08:44 AM
drb1956
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have the FWD vers., and its very capable in snow-drives great, and handling is very stable and reassuring...

Old 12-20-2008, 09:02 AM
brooklyn born
Senior User
Thanks for the replys. i was considering trading off my Ex. for an Escape Hybrid with the 4X4 option. however i'm now concerned with the problems people are having with a mfg. defect in the new 6spd trans. that i read about in this forum. from what poeple say, ford wont have a solution until feb. or later

Old 12-20-2008, 01:13 PM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brooklyn born
Thanks for the replys. i was considering trading off my Ex. for an Escape Hybrid with the 4X4 option. however i'm now concerned with the problems people are having with a mfg. defect in the new 6spd trans. that i read about in this forum. from what poeple say, ford wont have a solution until feb. or later
The Escape Hybrid has a all together different transmission.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:11 PM
brooklyn born
Senior User
thanks for the heads up, i will probably check out the dealers inventory monday.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:24 AM
bhds1
Freshman User
I have an 07 escape that I bought after my Jeep Cherokee was totaled. I had a lot of reservations about the escape not being a "real" 4wd. My worries were unwarranted.
We are experiencing some of the worst snow and ice conditions in quite a few years here in the pacific northwest. Tonight I came out of the movie theatres to a blizzard that dumped about a foot of snow in 2 hours. On the drive home I passed numerous cars high centered in 2-3 foot snow drifts or slid off to the side of the road. A couple of times I thought I wasnt going to make it through and had to backup and then gun it. The escape performed great. As far as snow and ice I dont think the Escape is any less capable than my old Cherokee

Old 12-21-2008, 08:31 AM
Redranger03
Senior User
"Escape in Snow?"

Ford's Advance Trac with stability control, on the Escapes are basically fool proof, you would really have to go out of your way to get in trouble with this system backing you up.

i.e. Slow down, pay attention and.....stay off the damn cell phone!

Old 12-21-2008, 10:37 AM
ericsmith32
Elder User
Never had a problem with our work Escapes in snow up the bumper. Had alot of fun though.. maybe to much. Thinking about never really had a problem with our FWD Escape either. Just doesn't take off as quick.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:25 PM
oracle
Mountain Pass
My 02 works perfectly! (and much-much better than my old Trailblazer).
On icy roads I prefer to switch the 4x4 on so I get a more constant performance.
If I compare it to my wife's new CR-V I think my Escape is better although is missing the stability control.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:01 PM
hotroddually
Posting Guru
we have an 2008 fwd with the traction control front axle. it goes anywhere we ask it to go. very happy with the purchase.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:35 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
The escape was built for snow, it loves snow, it prays for snow, it looks forward to snow. If it make snow it would, it lives for snow. It's actually a big snowmobil ha ha.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:57 AM
Ed_B
Senior User
Originally Posted by bhds1
I have an 07 escape that I bought after my Jeep Cherokee was totaled. I had a lot of reservations about the escape not being a "real" 4wd. My worries were unwarranted.
We are experiencing some of the worst snow and ice conditions in quite a few years here in the pacific northwest. Tonight I came out of the movie theatres to a blizzard that dumped about a foot of snow in 2 hours. On the drive home I passed numerous cars high centered in 2-3 foot snow drifts or slid off to the side of the road. A couple of times I thought I wasnt going to make it through and had to backup and then gun it. The escape performed great. As far as snow and ice I dont think the Escape is any less capable than my old Cherokee

Allow me to comment on this. I also live in the Pacific NW and on a 300 foot hill to boot. We've had 19" of snow and two 1/2" thick layers of ice here in the last 5-6 days. It is raining now and thawing out but for a while there, only my '84 F250 4x4 and the neighbor across the street were moving. His ride? A 2007 Ford Escape 4x4. Lots of Toyota vans, Subarus, and other "SUVs", some WITH chains, are still sitting beside the road. If I ever get another car, it will definitely be a 4-cyl. Escape.

Ed_B

Old 12-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Arniect
Freshman User
Originally Posted by wendell borror
The escape was built for snow, it loves snow, it prays for snow, it looks forward to snow. If it make snow it would, it lives for snow. It's actually a big snowmobil ha ha.
We have had several storms here in the last 2 weeks.

Our 96 Explorer was good in snow, 03 Aviator is good, but so far the 09 Escape is better then both.

Very stable and really goes great. The bonus is the wife loves it.

Quick Reply: Escape in snow