Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

The Ford mans curse!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 07:34 AM
Freaksh0w
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In all fairness, I doubt every Dodge tranny blows in 6 months, but I'm sure some of the working Dodges have had that happen. The trannys they used would be more suitable for a 400 pound ATV, not a 6500 pound truck. It's sad when the ONLY new Dodge I've ever ridden in had transmission problems. And on another Dodge, not a truck, but, my friend's mom had a Dodge Caravan. We took it 450 miles to the beach. The transmission went out when we got there. Lost overdrive and wouldn't go into gear without dying.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:27 AM
Caleb1
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hang out with ford chevy and dodge guys and honestly the ford guys really are more respectful

Old 04-30-2009, 12:15 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Caleb1
I hang out with ford chevy and dodge guys and honestly the ford guys really are more respectful

They are. A Chevy guy almost ran my truck off the road and my mom's Escape. All to get to the next red light..

I have very rarely seen a Ford man bad mouth anything but a Chevy guy or Dodge will badmouth someone else in a minute.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:08 PM
therifleman556
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
They are. A Chevy guy almost ran my truck off the road and my mom's Escape. All to get to the next red light..

I have very rarely seen a Ford man bad mouth anything but a Chevy guy or Dodge will badmouth someone else in a minute.
Now thats a bit unfair to lump owners of one brand into a particular group. While I will agree that the majority of arrogant, cocky brand loyalists drive bowties, there are just as many people that drive them cause they like them and leave well enough alone. Yeah I drive a Dodge. You know the only people I give crap to? People who give it to me. And no not all Dodge trannys blow in six months, if you just look around you will see plenty of old Caravans and Rams out there that have 200k on them, they might be plenty rusty but they do work just as well as other vehicles when you take care of them.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:28 PM
BigDaddy6969
Senior User
Originally Posted by Freaksh0w
I almost find it hard to believe that someone has owned 'many' Fords but has had problems with nearly all of them. But has had excellent luck with Dodges? Yeah right...
Who are you talking about?

Old 04-30-2009, 06:13 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by therifleman556
Now thats a bit unfair to lump owners of one brand into a particular group.
I knew someone was going to say that just because I didn't say this.. V

Originally Posted by therifleman556
the majority of arrogant, cocky brand loyalists drive bowties, there are just as many people that drive them cause they like them and leave well enough alone. Yeah I drive a Dodge. You know the only people I give crap to? People who give it to me. And no not all Dodge trannys blow in six months, if you just look around you will see plenty of old Caravans and Rams out there that have 200k on them, they might be plenty rusty but they do work just as well as other vehicles when you take care of them.
I was hoping I could just skip that part, but you wrote it out for me so it works out. Thank you.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:16 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Freaksh0w
I almost find it hard to believe that someone has owned 'many' Fords but has had problems with nearly all of them. But has had excellent luck with Dodges? Yeah right...

I've worked in a shop that my dad owned for over 5 years... lemme tell ya. I saw a lot of the same old same old problems come in. Many GM's and quite a few Chryslers. Ford is reliable. And their trucks can't be beaten. Now.. that's not to say they haven't had their problems. Every company has, BUT Ford has the least. And the old Fords of the 90's and earlier are just solid proven reliability. Had a lot of domestic vehicles in my home, and owned a lot. Before I knew much about vehicles, I wanted the fastest. Lemme tell ya, Ford usually did not offer the fastest ANYTHING. So, I went with GM. Yeah, I learned fast that GM's can not take abuse. My 95 Firebird... smoking in under a year, yea I hot rodded it. My mom's 2000 Trans Am LS1, problems with power steering pumps (4th one in 2 years), transmission (6-speed), rear main, she's had 2 clutches put in, and other little things that she quit telling me about because I told her that Pontiac was a piece of **** and to sell it and get a new Mustang.

Also a 2000 Buick Park Avenue 3.8 that is leaking oil out the front with only 55,000 miles. Oil changes every 3000 miles. Also the transmission pump is whining. Had a 1997 Lumina that the transmission died 3 times while I had it. No lie. A 1999 Pontiac Grand Am with the 3.4. The 3.4 started leaking coolant, and the transmission started heading south.

Then I got a Ford Thunderbird 4.6 HO with the 4R70W. Plugs, wires, MAF, and transmission service, and I drove the HELL out of it for over a year with absolutely no problems. And I would bark 2nd gear multiple times EVERY DAY. It never let up or gave signs it wanted to. NEVER. Then a dumb *** totaled me.

So I got my current truck. Had it for well over a year, put a lot of hellacious miles on it, and done some bad stuff off road. Not a single problem. Not smoking. I love it. Then I started noticing... my papaw had always driven Ford's. He was a smart man. Very smart. We still have a 1950 Ford 8N, had a 70's Ford 2000 tractor, he had a 1966 Ford f100 (I think), and owned a few other Ford cars. Probably a reason behind that.

But, yeah, this is a Ford site, I'm here for a reason, and it's here for a reason. For people like me, who have learned the hard way and want to come here and talk about Ford's reliability. People like me who have to hear about how fast the Trans Ams were compared to the Mustangs in the 90's and first of the 2000's. Peope like me who have to hear about how much horsepower the new GM and Dodge trucks have compared to the same old same old Ford keeps putting out.

But, people like me know that trucks aren't for racing. And speed is only fun if it gets you home. Well, the only vehicles that have never failed on me, and I mean nothing about anything, are Fords. And maybe I can get my mamaw to trade her Buick in before something goes wrong (I know something will... GM makes ****ty autos and it has the 3.8). And maybe my mom will finally learn to quit putting thousands (literally well over $6000 in the last 2 years) into a POS GM and just get a reliable Ford.

From a guy who hated Fords because all his friends did going through school.
I have owned a couple GM products and have been nothing but satisfied with them. Had a 76 pontiac, driven daily for 25 years, never a major mechanical malfunction, most reliable vehicle I have ever owned including my superduty which I bought new in 03 and only has 29K on it now. Owned a 1990 Grand prix as well, bought it for $250, never did anything more to it than wear items sold it for $400 with 150K on the ODO still ran great, but looked like crap.
My sperduty has already gone through a set of brakes and rotors (replaced at 15K) and ball joints replaced at 19K as well as a fuel pump sending unit done at 1500 miles, definately not the highest quality vehicle I have ever owned, but I still love the thing. I have also owned quite a few Mopars and have had minimal problems with them also.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:00 PM
rockin300
Post Fiend
all the chevy guys ive met were cocky and aragant,i have also met a couple of ford guys that are like that,every brand has some cocky and aragant SOB to ruin the fun,the tranny thing i heard that from a friend every brand has their bad seeds that come out of the factory

Old 04-30-2009, 09:37 PM
therifleman556
Posting Guru
I dont know if this is completely true but supposedly some of the second gen Dodge trucks (up untill '98 rumor has it), had some sort of synthetic material lining the inside of the tranny case, the story goes that after however many miles this liner deteriorates and plugs up the valve body and other passages causing the blow up. True? Dont ask me, just the story as it was told to me, and not by a "reliable" source. And yeah Nick, I know a couple cocky SOB Dodge fans too, I'm sure if you looked long enough you'd find a cocky 'Yota driver too... Okay maybe thats a stretch

Old 05-31-2009, 02:00 PM
Ugly89250
Junior User
I guess I might be an exception to the rule. My Dad was always a Chevy man when I was growing up. Never badmouthed Ford or Dodge, just always drove Chevy. He had a 1984 Pickup that literally went to hell and back. Clocked well over 400k miles in the 12 years he had it. He sold it to a kid who still drives it. Last time I had a chance to talk to the kid, the truck was over 500k and going strong. Only thing ever done to it while we had it was the tranny had to be replaced because my brother tried to drive it with the e-brake still on. I, on the other hand, have pretty much always driven Fords, especially when it comes to trucks. I've had 2 F-250s, both of which hauled or towed whatever I asked of them. Not even sure if it's brand loyalty, or just because when I was in the market for a truck, I found a Ford I liked, in my price range, before anything else. I have had good luck with Fords, and Chevy, and even Dodge, and I have had bad luck with all three. Sometimes I think it's just the luck of the draw if you get one that was put together well, or one that was put together poorly. Rabid brand loyalty just has never been my thing. If you like what you drive, and it serves the purpose you bought it for, then be happy. And who cares what the other guy drives.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:09 PM
builtfordtoughf250
New User
yea i dont understand it either an if u noticed all the other major car companies are going bankrupt but ya kno wat i say to all those people that found on road dead and all those other cute little comments i tell them to be original and if your gonna say something like that atleast come up with a new one instead of using the same old ones over and over again so ya kno wat i did i came up with one of my own For Out Running Dodge

Old 06-03-2009, 12:25 AM
fire240
FTE Legend
Received 245 Likes on 237 Posts
I have been razzed by chevy and dodge owners myself. but I poinnt to my front yard at the old e350 ambo and tell them that things has over 250,000 miles on it and close to 7000 hrs. It still starts right up after charging the batteries if I forget to hook them up. I also tell them it still handles like it was new even though it has been driven like a ferrari in the indy 500. I also tell them I dont see to many chevy trucks or vans being turned into ambos.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Ugly89250
Junior User
As I said above, rabid brand loyalty has never been my thing. However, with what is going on in DC, any new vehicle I buy in the future will be a Ford. I do not like being forced into owning anything, including a car company. GM and Chrysler have, in my opinion, committed fraud and larceny upon all of us. The only thing that worries me about GM is this. The government is going to force GM to build smaller, less safe, more expensive cars that there does not seem to be much of a market for (despite Obama saying the govt is not going to micromanage the company). So, when they build these cars, and no one buys them, and Ford is the only "American" automaker selling cars, what will the govt. do to Ford? Force them to raise prices? Limit the number of cars they can build? Sounds crazy, but I don't think the govt. is going to force GM to build these cars, and then allow them to sit there and not be bought. Lest you think I'm just blowing smoke, when the govt. took control of Amtrak (which also was to be a short lived experiment in nationalization) it became illegal to form a passenger rail company to compete with Amtrak. Why should we expect anything different with GM?

So, I guess you can say I am now a Ford man, because Ford seems to understand how to operate a car company, and they have not extorted money from me to put off the inevitable. Okay, Rant Over!

Old 06-07-2009, 07:40 PM
JD_fayetteville_ford
Freshman User
Well IMO, All the Ford haters can shove it where the sun don't shine. I'm originally from MS, and in my experience with people coming to me and asking me to fix things, the majority are NOT Fords. I have had to do minor things to my old truck, but as far as the world is concerned, A Ford is more durable considering with preventative maintenance, and a good oil/lube change, they'll last forever. Ford takes more time and goes over their trucks more thouroughly than the latter of the 3. It's all about ownership pride and how far you'll go to ensure your vehicle runs good. I loooove my truck and all the other chevy and dodge owners can suck it! My truck still beats a 2500 Dodge on takeoff

Old 06-07-2009, 09:15 PM
therifleman556
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JD_fayetteville_ford
My truck still beats a 2500 Dodge on takeoff
What year and what motor? I see you've got an F-150, I'll asume its a 5.4L cause there pretty common around here at least. And since you didn't specify year of the Dodge it could've very well been an '03 which would have still had a standard 360 for motor. So were comparing a half ton truck with a 260hp motor with a three quarter ton with a 245hp motor.... apples to oranges. At least compare trucks that are within 1000lbs of each other. Thats like saying my Dakota will smoke a 7.3L PSD off the line... it will, but the comparison is useless

Quick Reply: The Ford mans curse!!