Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2001 7.3L F350, Service Engine Soon, truck shakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 07:40 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Try clearing your codes. Also check for unplugged connectors at the valve cover or IDM. 1316 is your code telling you there are IDM codes (that often point to UVCH issues) 1280 means you unplugged the ICP sensor.

What PID is 03? I'm not familiar with the numbers, but if we knew what it was referencing, it might be useful. I'm also not familiar with LOS, so I don't know what to say about your value = 37.

I'd also check your fuses and relays just in case the shop decided to remove one or something got shorted out while they were testing. IDM's don't typically fail like that, but it's possible. I'd say you've got about as good a chance as winning the lottery as you have of all 8 glow plugs, the #8 injector, and the IDM all failing at one time.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Foswright
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
So the passenger side is dead, right? Unplug cylinder #5, clear codes, and start it back up. See if the passenger side starts working except for the #5 of course.

That injector is a bit off from the others. That could indicate a bad injector solenoid, which would cause the IDM to shut down the entire bank.
Chris, you d'man. The engine ran on 7 with #5 injector disconnected. Thanks very much. I guess I'm off to buy an injector. It is surprising to me that the engine will run with the bad injector disconnected (open circuit), but won't run (at least those 4 cylinders) with the injector connected. Thanks again, Sean.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Duo Canes
New User
Thanks, Chris.
I'm still trying to figure out PID 03 and LOS.
I appreciate the logic check. I smelled Bravo Sierra with the diagnosis, compounded by the refusal to give me the codes. My assumption is the mechanic figured "I'll do the UVCH, charge this guy out the wazoo for work not done and make me a killing."
I also believr you are right, they unplugged something to "help me" with my decision to get it repaired there. He wes very helpful. Told me that the stealership just happened to have and IDM and a number 8 Injector to fit the truck in stock. The IDM was $1500.00, the #8 Injector (he said I was lucky it's the cheap one) was only $600.00..........
Now chasing unpluged and or disconnected.............

Dee

Old 10-22-2012, 07:25 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Foswright
Chris, you d'man. The engine ran on 7 with #5 injector disconnected. Thanks very much. I guess I'm off to buy an injector. It is surprising to me that the engine will run with the bad injector disconnected (open circuit), but won't run (at least those 4 cylinders) with the injector connected. Thanks again, Sean.
I'm guessing the new injector got you up and running, assuming you verified it wasn't a shorted wire to that injector.

Originally Posted by Duo Canes
Thanks, Chris.
I'm still trying to figure out PID 03 and LOS.
I appreciate the logic check. I smelled Bravo Sierra with the diagnosis, compounded by the refusal to give me the codes. My assumption is the mechanic figured "I'll do the UVCH, charge this guy out the wazoo for work not done and make me a killing."
I also believr you are right, they unplugged something to "help me" with my decision to get it repaired there. He wes very helpful. Told me that the stealership just happened to have and IDM and a number 8 Injector to fit the truck in stock. The IDM was $1500.00, the #8 Injector (he said I was lucky it's the cheap one) was only $600.00..........
Now chasing unpluged and or disconnected.............

Dee
Even if it was the IDM, you can get a GB reman IDM (I've linked to their testing procedures earlier) from Rock Auto $220 plus core charge. Hire a local kid to do the labor and you're still way under half of what the shop was quoting you. Find someone local with a 94 - 03 7.3 diesel and swap IDM's with them for a test would let you know for sure. (The IDM is located up above the driver side front wheel well.) But as mentioned, check for something unplugged, blown fuses, or swap around important sounding relays like IDM for ones like the heater blower motor first.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:59 PM
Duo Canes
New User
got it fixed

Kudos to Lone Star Diesel.

Home Page

They are top notch.

Turned out to be bad IDM that was intermittent and finally hard failed.
Confirmed by testing with a known good IDM.
Further (bigger) problem is both vc gasket uvch connectors were burned at the outer pins (glow plugs), 5 glow plugs shorted to ground, and harnesses burned. Lucky it didn't catch fire before it failed. There is no fused protection in the glow pug circuit to protect from over amp in case of a short post GPCM / Relay.
I wonder what the maximum safe draw for that harness is?
I may try to wire in a circuit breaker or fused link to protect it from a dead short in the future.

Any ideas?

Old 10-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Foswright
New User
[QUOTE=F350-6;12401279]I'm guessing the new injector got you up and running, assuming you verified it wasn't a shorted wire to that injector.

Chris, I haven't changed the injector yet. Wondering if I should change all 8 to avoid having to change the other injectors in the furture, and because I've heard it will improve performance and fuel mileage. I've also heard a number of times to 'only change an injector if it actually fails'.

Any recommendations?

I'm looking at the 'Pensacola Fuel Injection' +70hp injectors.

Thanks very much for all your help, Sean.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:18 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
If you want plus HP injectors, then you need to do all 8. If you buy from Pensecola, plan on having to swap them out several times. They have the worst reputation of any injector builder I've heard of.

You're better off spending more money and getting injectors that actually work in my opinion.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Foswright
New User
Wondering which injectors are recommended? Has anyone had problems with Mylex International reman'd injectors? I guess the new Alliant injectors are good, but expensive. Thanks in advance, Sean.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:00 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wondering which injectors are recommended? Has anyone had problems with Mylex International reman'd injectors? I guess the new Alliant injectors are good, but expensive. Thanks in advance, Sean.
Never heard of them personally, how much are they?

Rebuilds are around 120 or so and I would only use some of the vendors with some good reputations, i.e. full force diesel(Casserly), Rosewood diesel, unlimited diesel, or swamps diesel.

Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: Diesel fuel injectors | Ford Powerstroke fuel injectors | 7.3L Fuel Injector - Full Force Diesel / Casserly

Old 10-30-2012, 09:35 PM
twom7
Senior User
I am experiencing this same problem...

My 2000 F250 7.3L is hard to start in the morning and the SES light comes on, and when I put a code reader on it I get codes P0671 and P0672 which is glow plug #1 and GP #2, or circuit failure. I am starting to think that my UVCH might be slightly unplugged under the VC. So, I am going to buy all 8 glow plugs and replace them, and while I am under the VC I plan to check these other items at that time. I will know by this weekend what my real problems are. My truck starts smoothing out after it warms up for ten min...it will smooth out and not idle so shaky. Thanks for this post.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:14 AM
Foswright
New User
Originally Posted by twom7
My 2000 F250 7.3L is hard to start in the morning and the SES light comes on, and when I put a code reader on it I get codes P0671 and P0672 which is glow plug #1 and GP #2, or circuit failure. I am starting to think that my UVCH might be slightly unplugged under the VC. So, I am going to buy all 8 glow plugs and replace them, and while I am under the VC I plan to check these other items at that time. I will know by this weekend what my real problems are. My truck starts smoothing out after it warms up for ten min...it will smooth out and not idle so shaky. Thanks for this post.
The other guys on here know a lot more about this than I do - but it looks like to me you're on the right track. If your UVCH were causing the problem (loose connector), the problem is either persistent or intermittent, rather than consistently going away with warm up. Others correct me if I'm wrong, but when the UVHC is the problem the truck will run on 4 cylinders and shake horribly, with little to no power.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:31 AM
Foswright
New User
Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD
Never heard of them personally, how much are they?

Rebuilds are around 120 or so and I would only use some of the vendors with some good reputations, i.e. full force diesel(Casserly), Rosewood diesel, unlimited diesel, or swamps diesel.

Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: Diesel fuel injectors | Ford Powerstroke fuel injectors | 7.3L Fuel Injector - Full Force Diesel / Casserly
Thanks for the recommendations, I was looking at:
$970 for reman injectors
Mylex International Inc.
123 Nozzle Recon Dr.
1-800-553-1821

Old 10-31-2012, 11:35 AM
twom7
Senior User
My truck feels like it is running on 4 cylinders...

This 2000 F250 is not as strong running as my 2002 F250, and it feels sluggish even after it warms up. I have to change the glow plugs, so I am going to look at and fix these other things while I am under the valve covers, and the SES light is always coming on and stays on.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:33 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the recommendations, I was looking at:
$970 for reman injectors
Mylex International Inc.
123 Nozzle Recon Dr.
1-800-553-1821
For the small price difference I would go with any of the builders I listed, they are well known and have great reputations.

Slightly more for Full Force rebuilds from Clay who is a forum sponsor.

Slightly less for Rosewood from Jim who is a sponsor as well. Rosewood Diesel Shop

Old 10-31-2012, 12:59 PM
Foswright
New User
Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD
For the small price difference I would go with any of the builders I listed, they are well known and have great reputations.

Slightly more for Full Force rebuilds from Clay who is a forum sponsor.

Slightly less for Rosewood from Jim who is a sponsor as well. Rosewood Diesel Shop
Thanks for the advice. I ordered the 1st ones I checked, Full Force remanufactured, 18 month warranty. Sounds like they have both a good price and good customer service.

Quick Reply: 2001 7.3L F350, Service Engine Soon, truck shakes