460 Power

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Opossum
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
460 Power

I got a 460 in my 87 F-350 with a C6 and it (and for that matter all 460's I've had a chance to drive) feels weak/sluggish to me for 460ci it feels like the compression is to low (but I can get it to ping), or the cam is lame. I've helped mine out alot with the tuning I've done but I was pulling about 8000lbs the other day and the engine wasn't up to it (couldn't maintain 50 on the grades). The motor is stock except I changed to a 600cfm Edelbrock carb (old one I had laying around when the 4180 broke) and have done some ignition upgrades. I bought it about 4 months ago and it had all the air pump stuff (not any more) and dual exhaust but with stock manifolds. I think the carb is a little lean and will deal with that soon but if a larger carb is in order I'll get a bigger Holley. I still have the stock 4180 but the bowl is stripped, is it worth anything?)

I have to admit I'm not a 460 expert so here's my questions to you 460 experts.

What is the major shortcommings of this engine? Stock compression ratio? Stock cam profile?

What is suggested to bring some life to this engine?

Bang for the buck, I think I'll have this motor for another 1 1/2 years so I don't want to invest alot but I need it to do the job. I can see myself adding a cheap blow-thru turbo setup, and maybe a cam, and/or intake manifold. But not going into the motor, or spending big bucks.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:52 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I assume you mean the filter boss on the primary bowl is stripped. Been there.....

It has been said that the lumps in the exhaust ports are the greatest flow restriction

Are you running a 'straight up' timing set? These engines had a retarded keyway from '72 until the late '87 EFI motors.
That helps a lot IME.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Opossum
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
I assume you mean the filter boss on the primary bowl is stripped. Been there.....

It has been said that the lumps in the exhaust ports are the greatest flow restriction

Are you running a 'straight up' timing set? These engines had a retarded keyway from '72 until the late '87 EFI motors.
That helps a lot IME.
The thread for the neddle and seat was stripped. I guess I could put another bowl on it and go thru it and put it back on, if it's worth it.

Ya I have ground alot of those bumps out of heads I've ported for customers but doubt I'm going to feel like doing that kind of work on this motor, unless I can find an easy way to do it with the heads still in the truck.

I assume your talking about cam timing, I haven't done anything with cam timing it is how I bought it which I assume is stock. If I'm going to get into that I'll put a better cam in it, if that is my best bang for the buck.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:25 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The stock 4180 carb is an emissions carb and is not worth fixing. Find a 600 CFM vacuum secondary Holley carb in install it. FYI: The compression is low and the cam is lame because of a 4° retard in the timing chain. Install a pre-1972 timing set an defeat the 4° cam retard and swap out the carb and recurve the dist. If you pull the heads, have them cut and install a thin head gasket to get the compression close to 9 to 1. Improving the exhaust won't do much until you fix the real major problems with the engine, IE cam timing, compression and carb.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:51 PM
jadmt
Senior User
Yea these 460's are slow but at least the get crappy mpg LOL.
I have an 89 250 w/C6 and it runs very well but is a dog compared to what I thought it would be. I had a 97 GMC 2500 with 454 and it had tons more get up and go.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
Yea these 460's are slow but at least the get crappy mpg LOL.
I have an 89 250 w/C6 and it runs very well but is a dog compared to what I thought it would be. I had a 97 GMC 2500 with 454 and it had tons more get up and go.
Comparing an '89 to a '97 is like comparing a WWII fight to present day jets. The technology changed drastically.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Opossum
Postmaster
Any idea what the factory compression ratio is?

Old 12-15-2008, 11:52 PM
fordpower21
Freshman User
how come it seems like alot of people are seeing that these motors have no power. in mine before the rebuilt i thought it had loads of power when pulling the race car trailer i couldnt tell it was back there is this just becuse of a difference beween efi and carb or what

Old 12-16-2008, 04:41 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Originally Posted by fordpower21
how come it seems like alot of people are seeing that these motors have no power. in mine before the rebuilt i thought it had loads of power when pulling the race car trailer i couldnt tell it was back there is this just becuse of a difference beween efi and carb or what
I have no complaints about power.
EFI's have a straight up timing set, but I don't know about the cam.
The heads supposedly have smaller chambers too.

Opossum,
Stock CR in my '87 should be 8.4-8.5 according to all that I can find.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Opossum
Postmaster
So my cam is retarded and my comp ratio is only 8.5. There's no hope of making good power with those two facts. I may be able to forgive Ford for the 8 1/2 comp ratio it was the horible first emissions years but why in he11 would they retard the cam on big truck motor.

I think I've come the conclusion that as soon as the weather gets better I'll put in a new cam and timing chain. Any cam suggestions? And the next question becomes, is the stock manifold worth putting back on?

Old 12-16-2008, 12:51 PM
460me
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Opossum
So my cam is retarded and my comp ratio is only 8.5. There's no hope of making good power with those two facts. I may be able to forgive Ford for the 8 1/2 comp ratio it was the horible first emissions years but why in he11 would they retard the cam on big truck motor.

I think I've come the conclusion that as soon as the weather gets better I'll put in a new cam and timing chain. Any cam suggestions? And the next question becomes, is the stock manifold worth putting back on?
Emissions is what made them dogs,but with a little work they be like rabbits.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Opossum
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 460me
Emissions is what made them dogs,but with a little work they be like rabbits.
If so please define that "little work"?

Old 12-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Boohaha
New User
Originally Posted by Opossum
If so please define that "little work"?
My first post!

Do one thing first just change the timing chain to a pre 72 set, and drive it and pull with it and you will see a marked difference. The stock cam is pretty good at making low end torque but if you must just get a run of the mill RV cam from summit or JEGS. Also if you are going with another carb throw on a 750 edel or Holley these motors, even the pullers like the bigger cfm.

I had and still have a 460 with a 4 speed I rebuilt with stock pistons, and heads, and stock manifolds. I put in a older style timing set and ran a rv cam from PAW in it, and a 750 EDEL, in front of a c6 and 3.73 geaqrs, that thing would pull the house of its foundation and walk away with it. I later transfered the motor over to a 83 4x4 and put a 4 spd behind it and 4.10 gears 33 inch tires, with headers and a edel performer intake and an msd. let me tell you that thing will break your neck(and rear yokes) if you hammer it in first.

With that truck I moved across the state of NM pulling everything I own in in my house in a 20 ft goose neck horse trailer that had a rack built on top to the point that it looked like bullwinkle. The trailer alone weighed 8000 at least(old old trailer) and with every thing in it I was pulling 15-18000 in it. I had to climb some serious hills, including one that I judge all trucks buy, where you have to stop, make a left turn and ascend a 3 mile long grade that climbs 1000 feet, I toped it doing 45mph, the rest of the way I never dropped lower than 60 up the rest of the hills between Belen nm and Clovis NM.

THat motor will pull real well for about $200, and a short weekend, or long evening.

JMO.

THe only reason I went to Diesel is for fuel economy. Otherwise I would have stuck with the 460.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:48 PM
Opossum
Postmaster
Thanks that helps alot. What is the compression ratio of this motor?

Does anyone disagree with this?

I think I want to get rid of the EGR ports in the factory manifold so I will replace it. So I see no reason not to do a cam while I'm at it, any other or more specific suggestions?

Old 12-17-2008, 06:04 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

If you're going to do this you should get the Crane kit (99607-1)and do the distributor too like Bear said.
The stock DS-II is fine for spark, if the coil is good.
I don't know much beyond what I've done but I'm running an Edelbrock Performer EGR and
a cheap Summit towing cam kit(3501) with a Cloyes double roller timing set.

Some say the Weiand Stealth is a better manifold but I haven't used it.
I obviously don't know $#!& about airflow and volumetric efficiency, so have
no opinion as to carbs.

With 4.10's and a T-19 mine's about unstoppable.

Go for it, you'll like it....

Quick Reply: 460 Power