1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2wd or 4wd? Share your truck and opinion

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 07:41 PM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts
I live 1 1/2 miles down a dirt road that goes from muddy to sandy. There are times that I wouldn't be able to get my fifth wheel out of the drive way without four wheel drive. For me, it's not an option. These trucks with a diesel in them are so heavy in the front that they are almost useless off of the pavement without four wheel drive. However, if you plan to stay on the hard road all of the time, then it doesn't matter.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:58 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by 2002ExcursionV10
Here are the pics of the truck I'm looking at. Copy and paste the links, they weren't working before. Sorry.

AutoTrader.com
Only one shot of the interior? That is one N-I-C-E looking truck, I'll give you that.

At the end of the day it's a Super Duty in the driveway and you can't go wrong with that!

Old 12-02-2008, 08:11 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by elee3
I live 1 1/2 miles down a dirt road that goes from muddy to sandy. There are times that I wouldn't be able to get my fifth wheel out of the drive way without four wheel drive. For me, it's not an option. These trucks with a diesel in them are so heavy in the front that they are almost useless off of the pavement without four wheel drive. However, if you plan to stay on the hard road all of the time, then it doesn't matter.
X2 - if you have a RV. Many times you are parking on grass, its wet, or the campground drive is muddy, yada yada..... Nothing hangs a 2wd up like a slick surface and a trailer. If you're not towing, nor fighting winter conditions....2wd works.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:36 PM
wcurtis
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2wd drive and it works for me, the gas mileage is about the same as a 4wd, roughly 14 to 15 on the highway. I just liked the truck.
I pull a camper, about 7000lbs 30 footer and it does find

Old 12-02-2008, 10:43 PM
CurtSD
New User
Another vote here for 2WD

I shopped for a year for a 2WD truck. 99% of trucks in my neck of the woods are 4x4. I've driven 2WD and 4WD trucks quite a bit before I bought this and never had a problem with either. Really what you need/want boils down to two things, the area/conditions you drive in and what features you want in a truck.

I opted for 2WD because I am confident in my driving experience and abilities, the truck is configured well, and it saved me almost $5000 vs. the same truck in 4x4. My truck is a 5.4 auto 6.5ft bed SC with limited slip. I will say this it came with the Scorpion STR tires, I don't care if you have 18 wheel drive, they are CRAP for off road/snow traction! I just put on some Delta Sierra A/T tires, and they have been great! Here's the thing even with the crappy Scorpions last winter I never had a problem getting where I wanted to go. I know that will be even more true with the new tires.

I do go off road some, obviously not boggin', I do pull a trailer and a boat. For me in the long run, I saved quite a bit of money purchasing the truck, I'll have less maintaince, less weight, and I get good mileage with the truck. I average 15 around town and 17-18 highway, empty of course, and 12 towing.

Best recommendation I can make is buy what you WANT in a truck. If you start sacrificing this or that you'll regret it. Decide on what you want then shop for that, if it takes a little longer or you have to travel to get it, it's worth it.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:25 AM
spence13e
More Turbo
my last rig (95 f250 351) was a 2WD, and it did fine for the most part, but i didn't pull much, and never pulled in mud. the current rig got a nice workout last winter trying to move horses after a snow storm and it started melting. i had to have that 4x4 to get down the county roads back to the highway. there's a few times when it comes in handy. i also told myself "i'm sick of weather dictating hunting seasons, i'm getting a damn 4WD," and since then i haven't had another fall/winter dictated by weather.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:07 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I have one of each.

I have a number of reasons why I chose 2WD when spec'ing out my Excursion.

*Improved turning radius
*Less weight
*Smoother ride
*Lower ride height. Easier for the kids to get in and out of.
*Having a 4WD would make me want to lift it. (See above)
*Increased towing capacity (not much but hey...)
*The fact that even if it were 4WD I wouldn't take it off-road so why bother.
*It was on the lot when I was ready to buy which was a sign to me since I discovered it on the lot after I built it on Ford's website and did a search!
*No snow here for me to worry about.
*My last one was a 4WD. I wanted to try a 2WD.
* Oh... and I can repack my own front bearings. No unit bearings!

My 4WD is my wife's Avalanche. It is mainly used for 4 wheeling and camping.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:27 AM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I prefer 4wd, especially on my PSD. The front end does tend to dig in and the rear wheels have a hard time getting grip on slick surfaces if there's no extra weight in the back. There are many times I've used 4x4 to start out on slick grass while empty or pulling a trailer simply because the back end wouldnt grab. Its also handy because everybody spins when they pull out at the one intersection near my house. 4 wheel is the only way to not spin.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:25 AM
waorgany
Junior User
Originally Posted by Green_Monster
f350 4x4 that is worth its weight in the winters in new england
IMHO if your Ford SD is not a 4x4 then there is really no reason to own a truck!!! Might as well be driving a Saturn or VW or something. I don't use my 4 wheel drive alot, but when I want/need it it is priceless. I have lived all over the country from my present location NNY, to Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Arizona, Georgia, North Carolina and Florida....I have use 4x4 in each and every state and a few inbetween. It is a life saver and I would never not own a 4x4 truck.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:18 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,620 Likes on 1,351 Posts
Another 2wd, enough weight or a set of chains. All my job sites have big equipment on them so you can be braver. It's amazing sometimes where a 2wd will go.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:49 AM
2002ExcursionV10
Freshman User
4x4 Truck

Found another one on autotrader......1999 F-250, 7.3 PSD, 4x4, Lariat, 4 Speed Auto, short bed, Super Cab, 239K miles, no rust/accidents.

http://images4.ecarlist.com/cgi-bin/...ir=1096_208009

Pics are all under that link.

But see my point? The 2wd is a 7.3 PSD with 111K miles for under 8 grand. The 4x4 does have leather (which I like) for just under 9 grand ($8950), but it also has 239K miles. Would any of you purchase a 4x4 PSD with 239K miles if you talked 'em down to around 7500-8000?

Old 12-03-2008, 05:54 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,518 Likes on 1,083 Posts
truck looks great, i would go look at it in person and kick the tires. run the motor and take the oil fill off and check blow-by.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:57 AM
Hawkeye 84
Freshman User
Another 2WD vote. My Dad always said, "if you're in a situation that you need 4WD, you probably shouldn't have ventured out there". Now, he was refering to being out in a blizzard, bucking snow drifts and ice, or in the back forty trying to get that last wagon of corn out before it rained any harder. I understand that some boat ramps can get quite algea (sp?) covered and very slick, some camp grounds don't have the easiest access, but having grown up on a farm, much to towing has to due with inertia, proper gearing (starting in second gear so there isn't as much torque to start wheels spinning), picking the right spots to travel/drive over, adjusting load to conditions, etc.

It is really about what you like, can afford, etc. Good luck.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:59 AM
2002ExcursionV10
Freshman User
4x4

Senix, would you try to talk 'em down in price, or do you think what they're asking is fair?I know it's a PSD, but still, 239K miles is quite a few. And with those miles, there's a lot of cosmetic or other mechanical stuff that could go wrong.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:59 AM
Green_Monster
Elder User
I have to add in the defense of the 2wd I have owned 3 and lived in the north east the whole time. 2 Bowties and 1 oval. Like it has already been stated snow tires & or chains/cables(I like the cables) and some weight in the bed and you can go pretty much anywhere over the road that a 4x4 will, its the deep snow and off road where you will bury it. I actually started looking at 2wd mainly for the maintance , mpg & $$$$. I travel in the country daily for my business and use the 4x4 here and there still + my driveway is abouta 40 degree incline so I have not decided to go that route as of yet

Quick Reply: 2wd or 4wd? Share your truck and opinion