Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

leveling kit is on

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 03:43 PM
RBrendel
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leveling kit is on

i got my kit put on, the back is still an inch or so higher o well i knew it wasnt going ot level. thats 500 bucks down the drain. i should still beable to fit 32x11.5's right?

Old 05-23-2002, 10:06 AM
AZ4x4f150
Elder User
leveling kit is on

My first question is what leveling kit did you get that it cost $500.00. The leveling springs should have been all you needed and Rancho sells those for aprox $180.00 for the pair. Look in my gallery and you will see a pic of my front spring and a spacer that set up will level the truck right out and cost no where near $500.00.

Old 05-23-2002, 11:01 AM
RBrendel
Posting Guru
leveling kit is on

215 for camber brushings and springs together, 180 for installation so that 395 dollars, will new shocks give me more clearance

Old 05-23-2002, 11:05 AM
RBrendel
Posting Guru
leveling kit is on

o yeah and its 2 wheel drive

Old 05-23-2002, 11:06 AM
AZ4x4f150
Elder User
leveling kit is on

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 23-May-02 AT 12:08 PM (EST)]shocks won't give you more clearance only lift springs. Unless you have some kind of air shock. Or if you go with some coil 0ver shocks then you can get coil over springs to give you more lift like sway-away shocks or Race runner shocks and then there is Fox Shox

Old 05-23-2002, 11:14 AM
RBrendel
Posting Guru
leveling kit is on

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 23-May-02 AT 12:15 PM (EST)]hmmm some mechanic told me that my factory shocks in the front had a alot of give and that if i changed them out with stiffer ones it would give me another inch, and by the way the kit was skyjacker

Old 05-23-2002, 11:31 AM
AZ4x4f150
Elder User
leveling kit is on

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 23-May-02 AT 12:36 PM (EST)]A regular shock was never intended to provide lift. What he probably means is a stiffer shock will not alow the spring to collapse as much as when weight of the truck is on it but as for an inch of lift no i don't think so unless it is a coil over or air. Even the best gas shocks will not provide lift. Unless again you're useing the race runner shocks with the gas resevoir but those are under alot of pressure and are designed to give lift and shock absorb shock at the same time. I remember when people were useing air shocks on cars to give it the lift in the rear and they were always blowing out the bushings because the air shock was never intended to do lifting just support under load

Old 06-05-2002, 06:47 PM
RBrendel
Posting Guru
leveling kit is on

ive decided the best thing to do to completely level out my truck is to get the daystar spacers, well i called 4wheelparts and they said the did not have any for the year of my truck and said that they only had them for 97 and up, AZ4x4f150 where did you get yours?? are they univeral and can i just order the ones for the 97 model for my 94? help me out here please

Old 06-06-2002, 11:02 AM
AZ4x4f150
Elder User
leveling kit is on

I need to know if your truck on the front suspension if it uses A-frame control arms or does it use radius arms and the coil spring mount to a I-beam. Email me back at ctdoffroad@***.net

I deal directly with Daystar since they are right down the street from me and we are constantly working together making new lifts for different vehicles. And coming up with prototypes for things.

Old 06-09-2002, 09:22 AM
GammaDriver
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
leveling kit is on

rbrendel, I have a few questions and comments too.

First, on my stock ford 2wd if I measure a front shock when compressed & ont the truck, then measure the same shock when off, I saw tht it only extended almost 2 inches... this is as far as the shock will go, and it is the limiting piece in a suspension lift (at least a lift that tries to go for a real 2 inches or more).

New shocks won't neccessarily "lift" your truck, but I bet your old ones are limiting the ability of your new springs to raise the front of the vehicle past a certain point (that point being the maximum extension of a stock-sized shock).

Here's an idea - measure your current lift, just take your front shocks off, set the truck on the ground and measure it again to see if the front raises up any.

Ok, now for a question or two: where did you get your camber bushings from, and what degree(s) were they?

Now for my next question: assuming you have the same TTB front end I do, do you think the additional lift of Daystar bushings on top of lift springs could be accounted for with the camber bushings? The biggest complaints I've read about the front ends on these Fords is that 2, or more, inches of leveling lift can't be accounted for without expensive redesigned radius arms & other parts. AZ4x4f150 should warn you about mixing the bushings and the lift springs you have if this is the case.

Old 06-09-2002, 10:08 AM
AZ4x4f150
Elder User
leveling kit is on

the Daystar bushings go on the bottom of the coil spring on top of the spring cup not on top of the spring and they work quite well with the leveling spring in my gallery i have a pic of Rancho leveling spring and the coil spring spacer.

Old 06-09-2002, 10:12 AM
GammaDriver
Posting Guru
leveling kit is on

huh? How does that answer the alignment question that will probably be rebrendel's main concern?

Old 06-09-2002, 10:23 AM
AZ4x4f150
Elder User
leveling kit is on

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-Jun-02 AT 11:27 AM (EST)]2.25 -2.50 degree camber bushing. the alignment should be able to get within spec as long as he doesn't go over 3.5"s of lift in the front. If he does then he can go with the pivot drop brackets

Old 06-09-2002, 08:36 PM
RBrendel
Posting Guru
leveling kit is on

i have already have gotten 2 degree correction brushings and they are installed with springs, the mechanic told me that if i get those spacers i dont need new correction brushings, but if i need new ones screw it

Old 06-09-2002, 09:28 PM
GammaDriver
Posting Guru
leveling kit is on

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-Jun-02 AT 10:32 PM (EST)]AZ4x4f150, or anyone else, correct me if I'm wrong, but rbrendel will need new, or additional, correction bushings and/or an alignment with any additional lift, no? (since he's got a 2-inch lift, and the spacers, as I recall, were 2-inch spacers?)

Heck rbrendel, even if you find additional lift via taking off the original shocks (and replacing them with shocks meant for a lifted truck)(this is all if your current lift is hindered by the stock shocks being at full extension with your new lift) you'll still need to get the wheels re-aligned.

From what I know of the design every bit of lift makes the top of the tires stick out (messing with the camber).

Superlift states that their camber bushings are made for vehicles with up to a 2" lift, and 3.5" or above lifts really should have the specially-designed hardware ("The factory camber bushings, located above the upper ball joints, alter camber by changing the ball joint stud angle. Your local Ford dealer or alignment shop offers these bushings for most vehicles in set increments of correction up to 2 degrees of change. Superlift adjustable camber / caster bushings offer a greater adjustment range than stock, and are normally needed with our 1” to 2” coils. With most Superlift bushings, if the full degree of correction is not needed for camber, the remainder can be rotated into caster. See page 109 for applications.

Remember that Superlift lift systems taller than 2" include components that address camber and caster. If additional camber adjustment is needed, use stock type bushings unless more adjustment than they afford is required.
")

Just because someone will readily sell you extra lift parts, it doesn't mean the additional lift will be easy or inexpensive. I hope you don't mind me warning you of this possibility.