Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild of Project Flareside

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 11:48 AM
silentrunning
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you do decide to fix her up, be sure to take the tires off the rims and check them before you drive it again. You would be surprised how many wheels are damaged in rollovers and don't even show it. Curbs and ditches can have a nasty effect on wheels.

Please keep a photo journal of your work. It might inspire some of us to save a wounded truck.

Doug

Old 11-23-2008, 07:51 PM
John_deere_kid
Senior User
Originally Posted by quicklook2
if it was mine: i would send it to a frame shop to be checked.

just a suggestion.

good luck and label, bag bolts and take pictures along the way to help you when changing everything over.
I go to vo tech for machining,but the auto body shop has a fram machine up there, and i'm good friends with the teacher so I will definately be having it put on there to get checked out.

Bolts will definately be getting labled and bagged, i have been looking for those little plastic cabinents with all the pull out drawers but none of the stores around have them.

Originally Posted by builtfordtough13
Wow glad that your alright, it looks like it protected you right where it needed to. Well good luck and keep us posted.
It definately did, when we put the new cab on, we will be building a roll cage in it. Sorry, but after that ride i'm not taking chances.

Originally Posted by silentrunning
If you do decide to fix her up, be sure to take the tires off the rims and check them before you drive it again. You would be surprised how many wheels are damaged in rollovers and don't even show it. Curbs and ditches can have a nasty effect on wheels.

Please keep a photo journal of your work. It might inspire some of us to save a wounded truck.

Doug
I will be keeping a photo journal, i learned how much it actually means to you from helping a friend restore a 1969 Mach 1 mustang that we just finished this past summer after working on it for 9 years.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:53 PM
John_deere_kid
Senior User
Work will be starting shortly, but i need to find a heater so we can melt some of this snow off of my truck and take the chill off so we can actually work on it. Found one in the paper, should be going and getting it tomorrow or the next day.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:10 PM
MisterDave2
Elder User
You were really lucky! Last year we had an ice storm and I had to let my truck roll up over a curb and drive two wheels on the road, two on the sidewalk to avoid several cars that spun around in front of me. I had zero traction, no way to stop or go, and just enough space to avoid disaster. It was my 2x4 auto trans so I didn't brake and dropped it into 1st to just let the gears slow me to a stop with almost no use of brakes because I was already starting to go sideways and the brakes would have spun me around also. As for the roof, roll bar is a great idea that I was considering myself for my 4x4. Unfortunately these older trucks are heavy and their roofs can't really support their weight. My friend fabricated his own roll bar inside the cab behind his seat using some steel pipe that he bolted in. In your case it would have probably been just enough to help the back section keep it's shape, which would have been better than the scary scene you went through.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:41 AM
John_deere_kid
Senior User
We got the hood and both doors ope. I realize the doors aren't importan to get open when tearing down the truck but it made me feel better. The hood was stuck shut pretty good, pried out the one fender and my buddy yankerd her open. Started undoing bed bolts but dad came out to the garage and told me it was to late that i needed to go to bed since i hve school this morning. We should have the bed off tonight. Will take more pictures.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:48 PM
John_deere_kid
Senior User
Got the bed off tonight.

Whats the easiest way to take the front end off? Someone told me to unbolt the readiator support from the frame, then the fenders from the cab and unattach all the stuff bolted to the fenders and i can lift off the hood and all. What's your opinion?

Old 11-25-2008, 10:55 PM
John_deere_kid
Senior User
Old 11-26-2008, 12:14 AM
paintslinga2010
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Is your frame green? lol

good luck, look likes you have a nice place to work on it too.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:52 AM
John_deere_kid
Senior User
Yes, it Hot Rod Green. My plan was to do the undercarriage and stuff in hot rod green, hten paint the truck black. Now i dunno what I am going to do.

The garage isn't bad. 32x32 pole barn with cement floors. No insulation, wind blows right through it. But I finally found a used kerosene torpedo heater i can afford, so its a lot nicer in there now. I just wish the garage had another stall in it. Right now i have my truck sitting where dads should be.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:41 AM
breisr
Senior User
You really respect your dad. GOOD MAN!

Old 11-26-2008, 10:44 AM
breisr
Senior User
i had a 93 that was totaled like yours, sold it to my buddy (worst move i ever made) He fixed it up really nice. now i see him driving my truck around and i want to cry. on the positive side, i got to buy the truck i wanted because of the crash. 95 F-150, 105.000miles, 4x4, 300i6, m5od. gotta love them tractor motors!

Ryan

Old 11-27-2008, 11:51 AM
John_deere_kid
Senior User
Happy Thanksgiving everybody!!!!

Worked well past teh midnight hour last nihgt, i ended up having to work during the day, then plowing about about a miles worth of driveways with 8" of slush on them. I didn't get started on the truck until almost 5 o clock at night.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:07 PM
John_deere_kid
Senior User
Old 11-27-2008, 12:12 PM
95F350XL
Posting Guru
Wow, man, that doesnt look good. But it does look like ur frame is good. Thats a plus. Take the day off today lol.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:16 PM
John_deere_kid
Senior User
We did, tomorrow i'm going to look at a couple different cabs and talk prices to see what i can do.... i didn't realize fenders were so expensive at $110 a side......

Quick Reply: Rebuild of Project Flareside