1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need experienced help

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 06:59 PM
Headrope
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need experienced help

There are all sorts of cosmetic changes I want to make to my truck but I'm unsure as to how I should go about it or even where to start because every choice affects another. I'd appreciate some guidance as to things I should consider functionality wise. I'm relatively new to Ford/diesel but I have been around long enough to know everyone has opinions. I'm looking for facts, please.

What I have and how it's used: '05 F350 Super Duty crew cab with a 6.0, full-size bed, not a dually, all stock. Daily driver, pulls a 13,000 lb toy hauler about 5-times a year - a utility trailer every couple of weekends - almost always on pavement, maintained logging roads or shallow sand.

Fuel economy questions
  • How will lifting or leveling the truck affect mileage? I've heard you lose 2 mpg for every inch the truck is raised.
  • Does tire width, tread pattern or height (all three?) affect mileage on a diesel?
What I'm thinking of doing: Leveling or lifting the truck and swapping the worn out Continentals (which worked great) for more aggressive-looking tires.

Thanks for your time and experience.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:09 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The leveling/lifting will not affect mileage enough to say so. Its the tire/wheels that will affect that most. If the 2mpg per inch wer true id be getting -2mpg LOL With my setup and tires listed in my sig, I lost about 3-4mpg. Not that bad considering how much bigger the tires are and how much heavier they are too. About kills me to put one back on after I have it off.

I guess it depends on your opinion on lifted trucks weather or not to just level it or lift it. A 35'' tire will fit with a leveling kit, but in my eyes looks beyond silly. I prefer a 33'' tire with just a leveling kit.

Assuming your toy haouler is a 5er, I would just level it and go with a set of 33'' tires. Everyone has there preference on tires so Ill leave that one alone. I personally LOVE the mickey thompsons and have got great life out of them, but be ready to pay for them.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:40 PM
akford351
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just put some 33s on for the winter and they look a little silly to me... 35s are perfect.

My truck's a gasser, but I didn't lose any mpg with bigger tires... I got my programmer at the same time so that probably has something to do with it.