1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 F250 problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:02 AM
Hookedup1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 F250 problem

Has anyone with the 6.0 engine had issues with starting after it has sat overnight I start mine (this issue is worse when it is cold outside) as it starts it shakes and sounds as if it is missing a cylinder. It just sounds rough and I am far from a machanic so I do not know how else to describe this. After it sits running for a few minutes I rev the RPMs up to about 2000 to 2500 for a few seconds and if it is not real cold it runs fine after I do this. If it is below 40 or so it still runs rough as I drive out of the neighborhood and once I get onto the highway I have to floor it. As it starts to wind up it is still shaking the truck a little and running rough. Then like a light switch it gets over 2500 RPMs and runs strong and I do not have this problem agian until the next morning. I am lost on the cause for this. Anybody help??

Old 01-22-2009, 10:37 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Do you plug your truck in at night? When you say cold are we talking Texas cold or North Dakota cold?

Old 01-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you use synthetic oil? If you use dino then the injectors could be sticking.

Does it have the latest flash? The latest flash may help resolve this issue.

Do you use a fuel additive with anti-gel?

Old 01-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Hookedup1
New User
I use nothing but regular diesel fuel from stations. I live in SE GA not that cold but has been in the high 20's a few days mostly in the mid to upper 30's when it is cold. I do not use synthetic oil and no additives. I thought bad injector also but as I said I do not know engines that well.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:46 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
20's is cold enough that you should consider using an anti-gel additive and you should plug your truck in.

Not a diesel guy, buy you may be seeing symptoms of a bad glowplug.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Hookedup1
New User
I do not believe I know about plugging the truck in? I guess I should mention that this also happened when it was warmer as well?? I can't figure this out. Thanks for your comments.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:33 PM
supertruck60
Junior User
Hot Shot's Secret: an ounce of prevention (cont'd)

Originally Posted by Hookedup1
I use nothing but regular diesel fuel from stations. I live in SE GA not that cold but has been in the high 20's a few days mostly in the mid to upper 30's when it is cold. I do not use synthetic oil and no additives. I thought bad injector also but as I said I do not know engines that well.
Hi,

In this weather anything is possible. You may be experiencing stiction...which leads to injector failure.

We get calls everyday from owners who are complaining about hard starts, rough idle and performance issues in this cold weather.

Winter is especially tough on diesel engines. Plugging it in definitely helps but if this is a fuel delivery issue, that is the injectors are not functioning properly, then we recommend Hot Shot's Secret before replacement.

The 6.0's have a unique problem with stiction due to build-up of oxidized oil on the injector which leads to its malfunction and eventual failure.

You can find more info on the our site, Lubrication Specialties | Diesel Motor Oil | Primrose Engine Oil | Fuel Additives | Oil Additives | Engine Restore| Check out the "Special Offer" button for our "Tune Up Trio".

Our customers note easier starts, no turbo lag and better idle and power.

I hope this info helps...good luck and happy trucking!

Dan

Old 01-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
FWIW, I would recommend the following:
  • Ensure you have the latest flash for the 6.0. You can post your VIN in this forum to verify that. Look at the top of the forum for the OASIS thread.
  • Consider using synthetic oil. It's better for the injectors and turbo bearings and I think it's an excellent idea if you tow.
  • Use an anti-gel fuel additive in the colder months. Diesel Kleen in the white bottle works great for most 6.0 owners.
Your 6.0 has an engine block heater, they all do, but if you bought it in GA then it's missing the heater cord to plug in.

Here's some info about the block heater and cord: http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-05-20.php

Old 01-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Hookedup1
New User
Thanks alot I will check that out.