Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Thermostat O-ring Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 05:32 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Thermostat O-ring Replacement?

As luck would have it, after changing the coolant over to Delo ELC, the o-ring at the thermostat housing (I have the billet thermostat housing from DieselSite) has decided to give up the ghost...a small, but steady leak. Does anyone know where to get the o-ring to replace it (or have a spare until I can find one)? Went by the IH dealer after work this morning and they have it as a kit with the thermostat, not sold separately.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You're going to choke me. I threw a used, but still in good shape, one away this morning. The trash man came and took it all away.

I will run some internet searches and see if I can find one.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Neil, I think this is what you need:

Powerstrokeshop.com

Old 11-13-2008, 05:51 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Ford Dealer?

Old 11-13-2008, 05:53 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nlemerise
As luck would have it, after changing the coolant over to Delo ELC, the o-ring at the thermostat housing (I have the billet thermostat housing from DieselSite) has decided to give up the ghost...a small, but steady leak. Does anyone know where to get the o-ring to replace it (or have a spare until I can find one)? Went by the IH dealer after work this morning and they have it as a kit with the thermostat, not sold separately.

Neal. I just finished that same problem. My new Billet housing started leaking. I finally fixed it by using Hi-Heat gasket maker. Use plenty of it and tighten down the two bolts between the leakiing area first. Took me 2 times taking the housing off to finally get it fixed. I think the trick is to tightening the bolts in the right order. Not a drop now.

I also used the same gasket on the stat.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:11 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
First, everything has to be CLEAN! Then, I use a very light coating of Permatex Aviation Form-a-Gasket on both surfaces.

The trick is to set everything in place, thermostat, gasket and housing. Then, while evenly pushing down on the top of the housing, start each bolt by hand and run them down until the head each just touches the housing. At this point you know that the pump's surface is still parallel to the housing's surface.

Then, just turn each bolt one third of a turn at a time until the housing is tightened. You've taken the housing down evenly, which is the trick.

Never a leak. First time, every time.

Pop

Old 11-13-2008, 06:59 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
First, everything has to be CLEAN! Then, I use a very light coating of Permatex Aviation Form-a-Gasket on both surfaces.

The trick is to set everything in place, thermostat, gasket and housing. Then, while evenly pushing down on the top of the housing, start each bolt by hand and run them down until the head each just touches the housing. At this point you know that the pump's surface is still parallel to the housing's surface.

Then, just turn each bolt one third of a turn at a time until the housing is tightened. You've taken the housing down evenly, which is the trick.

Never a leak. First time, every time.

Pop
I took it apart this afternoon and recleaned everything...Clux has graciously offered to send me a gasket and I will also use the Permatex on the housing. Thanks Scott for the link, but to get them to send one costs $13.00 in total ($3+ for the gasket and $10 for shipping). Good Lord!!! Thank you guys for your help...

Old 11-13-2008, 07:12 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
He be the MAN for o-rings!

Pop

Old 11-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an extra thermo o-ring (brand new) in case anyone else ever needs one.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:47 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought one, just the o-ring, at orielly's a couple years ago. One other thing I do is to coat the o-ring with some silicon grease. I picked up a small, quarter sized container of it at Lowe's, in the plumbing department. It's used to lubricate the o-rings on faucets. Coating the thermostat o-ring will allow it to squeeze into the proper place without being crushed or pinched.

Using the silicon grease and the tip that Pop provided, I've not had a leak on thermostats I've done since then.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink

I didn't realize that these "O" rings were so hard to come by....I had changed my T-stat & installed the billet housing under a year ago, then water pump went, and I tried re-using the "O" ring with everything new and very clean and got a leak, so I went to Autozone & got a new "O" ring for about $4.00 they had plenty in stock!! no leaks!!

Old 11-14-2008, 02:56 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I recently replaced the thermostat in my 97 with a motorcraft thermostat. It was different than the old one in that the rubber o-ring wrapped around the outside edge of the thermostat. It was a part of the thermostat. Much better design that the original. Using that, along with Pop's technique in tightening the bolts, you should be good to go. I did use permatex on the housing when I changed mine too. No leaks.