1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Veterans Day

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 04:12 PM
birdman1
Elder User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for remembering the Vets, my hats off to all the guys and gals that have served their country, even if you did not complete AIT or basic, you raised your hand and promised to defend this country against all enemys foreign and domestic,you started, you tried.
Thank you,Mike
retired 22yrs
7 active USAF
15 Army National Guard

Old 11-11-2008, 04:29 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

I agree with ya Joe, I too would love to thank each and everyone of our HEROs who have fought for our freedom. I am proud to be an AMERICAN!!! GOD BLESS each and every one of you guys and gals!!

I dont get on here much anymore, due to my work schedule, but I couldnt let this thread go without thanking our fine men and women of the armed forces!!

Old 11-11-2008, 04:37 PM
pro3qtr
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks JOE !!

Originally Posted by wmjoe1953
I exluded myself from my list, as I was medically discharged half way through my AIT, and am not considered a veteran, but I will NEVER, fail to remember any day that is set to honor our heroes, our fallen, or our nations creation.

I call BS, you are a Veteran in my book !! Here is what Wikpedia says:

The most common usage is for former armed services personnel veteran is one who has served in the armed forces, but usually not someone who had a dishonorable discharge. It is especially applied to those who served for an entire career, usually of 20 years or more, but may be applied for someone who has only served one tour of duty. A common misconception is that one had to have either been in combat and/or has retired from active duty to be called a military veteran. Because of this widely held misconception, women have sometime excluded themselves from veterans groups or benefits, despite military service (see history of women in the military).

Me:
USAF E-6 Aerospace Craftsman on a C -141B/C-17A Globemaster.

Served 1988 to present

TSgt D

Old 11-11-2008, 05:47 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wmjoe1953
I suppose I was a little disappointed by the high number of views, and such a small number of thank yous. I would of thought that with so many members, and so many that have clicked the thread, that more members would of least posted a quick thank you. Perhaps I am too patriotic, and think that everyone should be willing to say thank you for your service to our freedom, but alas, this is America, and I suppose the silent thank you is equally as important.
While I tend to agree with you, over the years I have learned not to expect too much in this imperfect world. I was in the service early in the Vietnam era. I got out in 1967. If you think the veterans of today are not honored enough, you should have been around then. The hard truth is that the ones most likely to honor veterans are other veterans. I really didn't like being called a baby killer. At least it's better than that now. If you really want to see what it's like to be honored as a veteran, go to an American Indian Pow Wow sometime. They will call you down to be honored as a warrior. I find it ironic that the ones who will honor our veterans the most were also the ones who this country litterally tried to eradicate.

Think about this. You mentioned that there were a lot of views listed for your thread. That should tell you something. It shows interest. Sometimes it's just hard to know what to say even though a person may actually feel the right way about it all. I think that the feelings of those who viewed your thread may be much more inline with your thoughts than you think. Don't be so hard on folks.

Later Man...

Old 11-11-2008, 05:59 PM
homade
Posting Guru
It don't take much to say thank-you!!!!!!!!

Old 11-11-2008, 06:08 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Thanks to all who appreciate our military service. I agree with Dave on our return to the USA after Vietnam. It was a bad time. I was in Vietnam from Sept 1966 to Sept 1967. It is nice to see how feelings for our military have changed since then. chuck

Old 11-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Dangerousdave
Freshman User
I'd like to thank my cousin, Major Clayton Hughes, USMC, CH-53 pilot until 1993, my father, MSGT David Vrooman, USAF 1960-1986, my step sister, Kim Sears, Msgt, USAF 1986-present and her husband Nick, TSGT USAF.
Oh, yeah, forgot myself, Sgt. David Vrooman, USMC 1994-2000 and all of the Marines I served with who are still serving and have a few more rows of ribbons that I managed to muster up by the time I left.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Sometimes it's difficult for some folks to express themselves as easily as other do.

And at the present moment, the world is a very fearful and synical place. I don't think our folks here are being unpatriotic, as much as perhaps reading the post, agreeing, and within the bounds of their own reverence, they are still thankful in their own way....the proverbial silent prayer.

Whether you say it openly, host a service person or family for the Holidays who are away from home, or volunteer at the local USO, there are many ways people show their respect and appreciation.

And one thing is for sure in these times of debate and different feelings: no matter who you may be, what you believe, or what you have done in life, it is NEVER inappropriate to say "Thank You." And however you choose to "say" it, I am certain that the recipiant is grateful for your thoughts of them.

And that applies to all those who have given of themselves, not just in being, but in their hearts and minds, to protect our country, along with our allies, neighbors and friends, no matter how long it may have been that they gave, or at what level of conflict.

To all our American Veterans alongside those of our British, French, Canadian, and other allies, past and present, I salute you with thanks and grateful appreciation!

Old 11-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Dangerousdave
Freshman User
Oh, and I'd like to send a lump of coal to my grandfather who changed his last name to avoid the draft during WWII.

Part of the reason why much of my family have served since then... we feel like we need to make up for his turning his back on his country.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dangerousdave
Oh, and I'd like to send a lump of coal to my grandfather who changed his last name to avoid the draft during WWII.

Part of the reason why much of my family have served since then... we feel like we need to make up for his turning his back on his country.
My grandfather did the same thing in 1940. His name was Eisenschmidt. And he fled to a country that was neutral at the time - America. Two months after arriving he went to work building B-24s for England to bomb his own home land - and family. He believed he was right at the time.

WWII was a long time ago. Your grandfather had his reasons at the time and he lives with himself every day....could not that be enough punishment. I suggest that because of his actions you are a better person, and the better person forgives. Food for thought.

Julie

Old 11-11-2008, 07:25 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Thanks Joe. My greatgrandfather came to America in the early 1900's, and to get immediate citizenship, he enlisted, and served in WWI ( I don't know which unit, but it was one of those frontline trenchbattle units), my grandfather served in WWII as a Marine serving behind enemy lines during Peleliu, Guadal Canal, Guam, and Okinawa. He is alive, but ailing from cancer as I write this. My father in the Navy during Vietnam, and me during the first Gulf War in the D co. 3/327th 101st.

I don't expect pats on the back, congrats, or any other acts of thanks, but those generations before me should, as I give them. I believe it is this sense of stoic humbleness and modesty that makes America what it is today.....defending this country when needed as something thought of as the RIGHT thing to do, and not as something we have to do. This difference in mindset, to me, is the greatest attributes Americans have above all others. The Colonials did it first in 1776, and it has been done ever since.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:20 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
I thought I had posted to this thread earlier this evening but I don't see it so I want to add my thanks and gratitude to all the men and women who have served this great country with their military time. THANKS!

Old 11-12-2008, 09:53 AM
mark914
Senior User
sorry for being a day late, unfortunately the "American" manufacturing company i work for doesnt give Veterans day off.

I may never know what it feels like to serve our country , but i do know that I am thankful for those that do. Thank you for defending our freedom.

MArk

Old 11-12-2008, 10:24 AM
jaye
Posting Guru
Havi, I was with the 101st Pathfinders during that time, my team supported the Bulldog BDE. My cousin was also in the BDE SGT Bordeau, and some other guys I went to schools with SGT Bryant.
There are a lot of Soldiers signing up to be in the Army during a time of war and there are a lot that don't complete Basic due to no fault of their own i.e., medical issues or injuries, however, they seem to be the most motivated & determined Soldiers. My hat goes off to them even though they don't make it all the way through. I'm currently a Command Sergeant Major and they have to see me before they are discharged if it was up to me a lot of them would stay however, its in their best interest to be discharged.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:32 AM
alanco
Senior User
Veterans

Thanks for remembering us. I also thank all veterans for their service. I also give thanks for the VA benefits that I use and have used including VA home loans and VA medical benefits. My flag was out yesterday.

Alanco

Quick Reply: Veterans Day