Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

airlocked waterpump

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 06:42 AM
Opossum
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05chop
So what you are saying then is you need heat to move water? A water pump puts out pressure hot or cold period. Retarted huh? In the real world of trying to be a mechanic from a key board you both would be out of a job.Funny what happened to to word respect.If you dont show it dont bother posting keyboard repairs.You just dont get it do you.
I realize it's been a while sence this thread was hot and I should have asked earlier but.

Are you actually a paid mechanic?

Old 11-25-2008, 06:27 PM
05chop
Elder User
Now this is a loaded question isnt it? neg or positive answer from you?

Old 11-25-2008, 06:30 PM
05chop
Elder User
Originally Posted by Opossum
Just to correct, the water pump isn't really a pump and does not create any pressure. The water pump is an impeller and really just erges the coolant to move. The pressure is created by the heat expansion of the coolant.

There is a coolant bypass designed into the motor, yes the heater does the same thing but it is not always open. The coolant bypass on a 351 is the short pain in the a** hose that goes between the water pump and the intake manifold. This bypass is there to prevent "cold shock" making sure that if the coolant in the raidiator is very cold and the motor hot, that when the thermostat opens that cold water is heated a bit so it doesn't cold shock the motor.
Starts out water pump is an impeller read this then answer question.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:36 PM
Opossum
Postmaster
So what you are saying then is you need heat to move water? A water pump puts out pressure hot or cold period. Retarted huh? In the real world of trying to be a mechanic from a key board you both would be out of a job.Funny what happened to to word respect.If you dont show it dont bother posting keyboard repairs.You just dont get it do you.
Why is there no pressure at the cap when the engine is cold no matter how fast you turn the motor?
Because you have a neg-pressure at the cap till heat opens the t-stat. Why after you turn my motor off does the pressure remain until the motor cools down? Radiator cap controls presssure and vacume. last answer controls expansion hot to cold. Back to the main question of bleeding the air.After you get the radiator full of coolant get a pressure cap tester and put it on the radiator.This should force the air out when you crack a fitting.If you still cant bleed the air out start looking for a headgasket problem.
I made a minor wording mistake out of lasyness. I didn't make any statements this blatently incorrect.

You didn't answer the question. I own my shop.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:52 PM
justin_brandstein
Senior User
Not to get off topic but while talking about pumps i work on oil burners and outdoor wood boilers. We commonly deal with pumps and circulators. There is a common misconception between the two... A pump moves water from point a to point b. A circulator keeps circulation throughout a loop IE. zone. Why people call them circulatior pumps i don't know but a water pump would be more described as a circulator. If a pump or circ. is air bound you have to bleed it. Its easier to bleed fluid by pushing and not pulling. I agree and follow the ford service manual.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:32 PM
jcurrie
Junior User
It's sure a good thing that the pump in my wife's pressure cooker is working. Sure wouldn't want her to keep trying to build pressure with just heat.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:25 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This threads almost 2 years old

Old 11-18-2010, 09:28 PM
jcurrie
Junior User
I'm passing on a great opportunity to be sarcastic but I was trying to find something out about the thermostat for my 2.5 and that thread showed up in the search. I couldn't pass on commenting about something so trivial and stupid. It has something to do with me having "keyboard Terrett's."