Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

3.0 Normal engine/trans. noise...or not

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 12:04 PM
BowtiedZ
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 Normal engine/trans. noise...or not

I'm new to the 3.0 V6 so I don't know what are normal 2002 engine noises. I would expect three more cams, and another timing gear than I'm used to would contribute to some unfamiliar-to-me sounds. I'm experiencing a medium/ high pitched whine from the engine bay, rises and falls with RPM, in gear or neutral. Not really obtrusive, but loud enough to hear in the cab. The sound is not unlike what you would expect from an alternator under load, (this isn't the noise) but way more pronounced. Just wondering if others experience this, if its a normal sound, or if there's potentially another repair coming my way. BTW all components are working well at 70K, shifts perfectly, 4X4, electrical system, PS, battery like new. Thanks for any input.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:08 PM
crazyrwe
Elder User
I also have a whining sound coming from the engine. I've put the meter on the battery, shows 12.6 not running, 13.8 running with heater, lights on. It does seem to go with the throttle, but also with power steering.Just can't figure it out yet. 2004 limited escape 3.0 31,000.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:30 PM
oracle
Mountain Pass
I can hear it too but right when I turn the engine off.. it sounds like a turbine spooling down.. Maybe the torque converter?