1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Column shifter rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 06:00 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Column shifter rebuild

I recently checked off one of my long-standing To-Do's, by rebuilding the column shift system from top to bottom. The results are wonderful! The throws feel like 1/2 of what they were before, and the shifter isn't hitting my leg in 1st and 3rd.

I documented the whole process with pictures, and a write-up, but it's a PDF and I can't post it here or in the Gallery. It will be on the new Flathead Forum (relocated MSN Flathead forum) shortly, but in the meantime if anyone wants it, send me an email and I'll send it to you. It's about 1 MB.

EDIT: The document is now attached in Post #24 of this thread.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would that be the same basic procedure on my 56? Not only does my trans need a rebuild, but I am sure the column could use it too.

If it might be similar, I would appreciate a copy.

blb1408 (at) hotmail (dot) com

Thanks,
Brian

Old 11-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi Ross,

I'd love to see your work and put it in my library for future reference! I have done bits and pieces but never a whole column. Also, could you send me the links for your parts sources if its other than LMC?

I'll send you a PM with the e-mail address.

Thanks much,
Julie

Old 11-07-2008, 09:19 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Sorry, I should have given more info. Per Number Dummy, the same components were used from '49 - '59 on cars, and '48 - '56 trucks. I'll get them off right away.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
That is awesome! Thank you very much Ross. It is truly appreciated.

I really think I need to do that..before I tear into the transmission. That may very well be a huge portion of my problem.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:18 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
The good news (to me anyway) is that because the same parts were used for so long, many of the wear parts are still available from OEM Ford sources. The one part that really isn't (AFAIK) is the shifter tube itself, and I had a machinist make up a totally new piece to actually improve on the original. Here's a pic of the lower end of the shifter tube, where a selector pin rides. The hole in the shifter tube gets wallered out (there's more to it, in the article). The machinist made up a solid steel piece, cut off the old, and pressed the new piece into the tube. Then he TIG'd it together, and machined it down. (My machinist, Gene Birrell at Noor Mfg., is a Model A kind of guy, he's just about done with a '31 5-W coupe that he built from almost the ground up, so he's sympathetic to old trucks) He does magnificent work!

Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Brian_B
Postmaster
I am going to have to open both versions togther now...to figure out what the minor revision was. Ok...not now. I am half asleep. I will compare them tomorrow.

g'night all.

Thanks again,
Brian

Old 11-08-2008, 07:06 AM
John Morton
Junior User
Column shift rebuild

I would love to have your rebuild file. My email is jmorton@goldenwestsigns.com THANKS!

Old 11-08-2008, 08:19 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just looking at that one piece of many - I count about 5 wear spots and I know those arn't usually the worst.

I would like a copy also. It will go into the "I Stole The Internet" file.

Good Job.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:47 AM
52'F-3
More Turbo

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
The good news (to me anyway) is that because the same parts were used for so long, many of the wear parts are still available from OEM Ford sources. The one part that really isn't (AFAIK) is the shifter tube itself, and I had a machinist make up a totally new piece to actually improve on the original. Here's a pic of the lower end of the shifter tube, where a selector pin rides. The hole in the shifter tube gets wallered out (there's more to it, in the article). The machinist made up a solid steel piece, cut off the old, and pressed the new piece into the tube. Then he TIG'd in together, and machined it down. (My machinist, Gene Birrell at Noor Mfg., is a Model A kind of guy, he's just about done with a '31 5-W coupe that he built from almost the ground up, so he's sympathetic to old trucks) He does magnificent work!
I good machinest that cares is a friend to have for sure.......
I don't have a column shift, but i'm curious if that shaft is "cast", and he machined the new section out of rolled steel. I'm guessing yes, so that will never were out ever again.......

looks really good, "It's all in the details" is something i always like......

Old 11-08-2008, 10:20 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
The tube is drawn steel; at the location of the hole, Ford pressed a solid plug of steel inside and peened it in place, so the selector pin is supported all the way thru. But over the year the plug loosens inside the tube, causing the two wear spots you see on the pin and greatly increasing the amount of play. My machinist used 1018 steel to make the replacement, it is weldable and reasonably hard. It will be tight long after I'm in the ground!

Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2008, 11:23 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Ross,
I told you your article would be a hit!!

I used your machinest a few times a few years ago, you're right, excellent work from that shop.

Is the article going to become a tech article on this site?

Bobby

Old 11-08-2008, 11:25 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Bobby, I'd have to see if there's some way to break it up. In a little bit I can link to it on the Flathead site.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:39 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Ross, no problem....

just get out the cut off wheel and the plasma cutter and start hacking, once you get it to the site then all you have to do is stitch it back together with the MIG welder, but be carefull and don't let to muchheat build up, I'd hate to see it get warped.............lol

Bobby

Old 11-15-2008, 03:50 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
FYI -- the article is on-line now:

http://www.flatheadv8.org/columnshift.pdf

EDIT 7/30/19 -- that site is gone. I'm attaching the document here for posterity

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Column Shift Tech.pdf (737.1 KB, 37 views)

Quick Reply: Column shifter rebuild