Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Radius Arm Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 11:55 PM
rikfish
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radius Arm Bushings

Wow! I changed the radius arm bushings on my 85 Bronco today and what a difference! Drives like a new truck again. Doesn't wander, no thunking underneath when you hit a bump/cross RR tracks.

I did find something I did not like while doing this. The previous owner had changed the shocks, and used smaller diameter bolts than stock. I suspect this is due to factory using metric, and shock manufacturer using SAE. The bolts that were used had a small shoulder on the head end which was the correct size for the shock bracket, but relied on the threads to bear the force on the nut side. The bolt had worn down in diameter quite a bit allowing the shock to float some. I replaced them with 1/2 inch diameter bolts. Ride improved quite a bit.

Anyone else ever find this?

Old 10-12-2002, 08:16 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Radius Arm Bushings

> The previous owner had changed the shocks, and used smaller
> diameter bolts than stock.

It sounds like they installed Bronco II shocks instead of Bronco shocks! On my BII I found I could use many Bronco parts, including window motors, by simply adapting them. For my rear shocks all I had to do is ream the rear mount out to 1/2 inch and install the Bronco shocks and use grade 8 bolts. Worked great.

On the other hand I recently bought Rancho 5000 shocks for my F-100 and the mickey mouse adapters were not correct and undersized. Maybe someone replaced them with an adapter kit that was not correct.

Old 10-14-2002, 11:01 PM
FORDNUTTZ
Senior User
Radius Arm Bushings

then Radius Arm Bushings will make a WORLD of differance

hope you used poly ones so they last along time

Old 10-14-2002, 11:13 PM
rikfish
Posting Guru
Radius Arm Bushings

Fordnutzz,

I did indeed use poly after reading all the comments on prior posts.

My only concern at this point is I found no 'heat shield' on the passenger side (85 Bronco 300-I6). I saw no apparent damge to the old bushing, but I'll keep an eye out for early damage. I am thinking about fabricating one. From what I can tell, it doesn't require anything more than some sheet metal to deflect the heat from the cat.

Old 10-15-2002, 01:09 AM
FORDNUTTZ
Senior User
Radius Arm Bushings