1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Attention MECHANICS!!!! Any Advice??

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 05:06 PM
morton19
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attention MECHANICS!!!! Any Advice??

I have a 91' E350 w/ a str.6 motor. Just purchased so this is all new to me. The problems:

Day1-Noticed antifreeze leak coming from water pump.
*Water pump was replaced.

Day2-Drove van to work all was fine, drove van home started getting hot. It never made it all the way to the "H" side but close. Once shut off, steam was coming from overflow tube. 5min. later "poof" rubber hose from bottom of radiator split, water everywhere, also noticed a leak inside van from heater core I assume. Nut much but enough to notice.
* I replaced both upper and lower hoses as well as installing a new "fail safe" thermostat.

Day3- After finishing hose and thermostat install I changed oil and filter, I filled with new antifreeze and I did have the engine running to top off the water. Went for test drive 10min later started getting hot again. Pulled over had a little steam. Waited about 45min and started back home, temp gauge barely came off of "C" on gauge.

I am assuming that it got hot again and that "fail safe" thermostat I purchased did its job and is now stuck open which is why it is not moving anywhere on temp gauge.

I talked to a few people and the suggestions that I have are to install a new thermostat and replace the heater core. Im at a loss here, I thought replacing the thermostat would have solved the overheating. Ive ruled out a head gasket being blown, with the engine running and radiator cap off there are not any bubbles from the water, and of course checking the oil for signs of water, all seems ok there..

Any tips or suggestions?

Thanx

Old 11-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Rockstone
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Touich both heater hoses going into the heater core, if one is hot, and the other isn't, you probably have blockage in your core. You could try a system flush with a garden hose. There's probably a lot of crap in there.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:53 PM
morton19
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanx, I'll try that!