Sponsored by: Moser

Fast Idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 08:21 AM
Fordy Four
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fast Idle

I have looked through the forum alot about this topic and there are two things I would like to know before I attempt them (because I have an oil bath air filter and I hate having to take it off an on) on the link between the choke (electronic assist) and the carbeurator there is a plastic piece with a screw in it - what does this screw do?

Also - I have seen where the fast Idle screw (the screw that works with the fast idle cam) is - and I wonder why they put it in such an awkward and hard to reach place?

Lastly which way do I turn the fast Idle screw to make it Idle slower? My guess is counter clockwise - am I right?

Thanks

Old 10-23-2008, 08:55 AM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Here is everything you need to know about setting fast idle. Ignore the first couple paragraphs:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ml#post6422219

The small screw in the plastic piece is the index adjustment; see my post in the link above for what it does. For the fast idle speed screw, I agree, it's not in a fun spot. It's not there because it's fun to reach, it's there because that's where the other end of the throttle shaft happens to be. Lastly, turning the screw clockwise raises the fast idle assuming it's indexed properly. Refer to my write-up in the link above, it will tell you everything you need to know. Let me know if you have any further questions on it.