1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

A question about chips

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 10:24 AM
952X4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A question about chips

I'm thinking about putting a chip in my truck, it's a 95 PSD 5 speed, I've already done the downpipe and exhaust and the 6637 intake and love the results. This truck is used primarily for towing a travel trailer, I don't want to make smoke or burn rubber, just want some extra get up and go when towing through the mountains.

One question about the chips is, How do they actually work?

I've been considering the TW and DP chips, kind of leaning towards the DP but not sure yet.

Jody reccomends the F5 with no-start, stock, 60hp tow and 80 hp econo settings..What's the purpose of no-start? Doesn't make much sense to me but then again, I'm a newbie here..

Any advice you guys might have would sure be appreciated.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:32 AM
kawa
Postmaster
I think that the "No Start" is a theft deterrent. You might also consider getting the "Stock" setting as well. You never know when you might need to return to the stock setting.

It is also useful should the truck start acting up you can always return to stock just to eliminate the chip as the problem. jmho

Rog

Old 10-22-2008, 12:40 PM
cchildress
Senior User
X2 on Dp! I love mine. I have been thru 4 chips/programers and Dp made my truck come alive!!!!! And def get stock, not fun to drive on lol but when something isnt working right it comes in handy to eleminate a chip problem.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:52 PM
952X4
Senior User
Originally Posted by kawa
I think that the "No Start" is a theft deterrent. You might also consider getting the "Stock" setting as well. You never know when you might need to return to the stock setting.

It is also useful should the truck start acting up you can always return to stock just to eliminate the chip as the problem. jmho

Rog
That makes sense, now I see the reason for it...Jody said these trucks can be stolen in 15 seconds and the no-start is a nice deterrent.