1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

5spd installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 12:58 AM
Sycostang67
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad to hear you got it going. 5 gears are alot more fun than 3.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:04 PM
madmacs
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well a couple months have gone by and no problems. I got a 800 to 900rpm drop in 5th gear from the other transmission, and can say fuel mileage is up 5mpg on the highway and it sure is quiet. I am not sure yet but I do believe that I have lost some top end speed, might just be my imagination as I have not had the opportunity to really open it up, it is much quicker out of the hole except that with the loss of my posi two years ago it's hard to get away without smoking the tire. Only bad thing I have to say about the swap is that I never noticed how many times I shifted before...maybe I'm just getting old. macs

Old 03-07-2017, 10:55 AM
bpbleedsblue
New User
Question on swapping a 4x4 T19 with M5OD 4x4

Hello guys, I have a 85 F150 4.9L, T19 4 speed 4x4 and would like to swap in a M5OD. I scored a M5OD with a BW1356 transfer out of a 93 f150. I Also got the cross member and drive shaft from the 93 F150 as well.
From what I can see, the transfer case shifter is offset instead of right behind the trans shifter like the T19. And the BW 1356 doesn't have the gear driven speedo.

Has anyone else attemped this? I'm wondering if the bw1356 shifter can be modified or if I cab floor needs to be modified. And if there is a solution for the speedo, thanks.

bpbleedsblue

Old 03-07-2017, 12:39 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
Use your old transfer case onto the newer 5 speed. It will bolt right up.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:48 PM
fljab
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Madmacs, glad to see all went well. The Mazda 5 sp was put behind the 4.9L for many yrs, so it's a good, easy, and available swap.

I also have a '81 F100, but am going to a T5 mainly because I have one. Anything will be better than the anemic SROD 3 sp + OD trans.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:55 PM
bpbleedsblue
New User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
Use your old transfer case onto the newer 5 speed. It will bolt right up.
The old one has a crack, its part of the reason I want to swap transmission. A friend of mine told me I could have the crack welded, but was hoping to avoid that.
But I suppose it might be worth it. Thanks for the tip.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:54 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
Look the later transfer case over very carefully, it might have a spot for the speedo but it's blanked off. But from your other problems, it would probably be easier to get another older type like you have already that is not cracked.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:46 PM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by madmacs
Well a couple months have gone by and no problems. I got a 800 to 900rpm drop in 5th gear from the other transmission, and can say fuel mileage is up 5mpg on the highway and it sure is quiet. I am not sure yet but I do believe that I have lost some top end speed, might just be my imagination as I have not had the opportunity to really open it up, it is much quicker out of the hole except that with the loss of my posi two years ago it's hard to get away without smoking the tire. Only bad thing I have to say about the swap is that I never noticed how many times I shifted before...maybe I'm just getting old. macs
Hey Macs, I know you did this swap quite a while back. I am installing a M5R2 trans behind a carburated 300 in my 56 F 100. My trans is out of a 92 thus no speedo, as you had. I got a tail housing w/ speedo hole and I got a drive gear(7 tooth) which I believe is correct. I am planning to drill the output shaft for the retaining ball and use a cutter wheel to make the groove for the retainer snap ring. Does this all sound workable to you? I also need a driven gear (I think a 20 tooth). do you have any advice where I can get the correct one?? Also were you able to put the driven gear directly on your cable that was in the 4 speed or did you have to use a Vehicle Speed Sensor as a connector between the gear and the cable?? Thanks so much for your help. Greg

Old 03-11-2017, 08:36 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,103 Likes on 1,791 Posts
I have not done this but what you want to do with the output shaft is doable but (edit) not (/edit) with at home tools.
The output shaft is harden so you will not be able to drill it.

Don't know what you are doing for gauges but Gauges, Custom Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers, Shift Light, Pod has GPS speedos so no cable. I have one in a car I am building but have not driven it yet but when out of the garage it does pick up a satellite.
Dave ----

Old 03-12-2017, 07:37 AM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
I have not done this but what you want to do with the output shaft is doable but with at home tools.
The output shaft is harden so you will not be able to drill it.

Don't know what you are doing for gauges but Gauges, Custom Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers, Shift Light, Pod has GPS speedos so no cable. I have one in a car I am building but have not driven it yet but when out of the garage it does pick up a satellite.
Dave ----
Thanks Dave, I too am skeptical of drilling the shaft but my buddy who has a lot of years as a GM line repairman/machinist says we can do it. we'll see. The hardest part right now is finding the correct gears/cable...

Old 03-12-2017, 07:46 AM
fljab
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
<snip> I got a tail housing w/ speedo hole and I got a drive gear(7 tooth) which I believe is correct. I am planning to drill the output shaft for the retaining ball and use a cutter wheel to make the groove for the retainer snap ring. Does this all sound workable to you? I also need a driven gear (I think a 20 tooth). do you have any advice where I can get the correct one?? Also were you able to put the driven gear directly on your cable that was in the 4 speed or did you have to use a Vehicle Speed Sensor as a connector between the gear and the cable?? Thanks so much for your help. Greg
You might want to review this page:

Speedometer Gears - ???Gary's Garagemahal

Specifically, the drive gear page (M5R2 listed at bottom under 1988 yr):

Speedometer Drive Gears - ???Gary's Garagemahal

And driven (these are listed by r/e ratio, and don't see M5R2 listed, but maybe someone here can elaborate):

Speedometer Driven Gears - ???Gary's Garagemahal

Drive/driven gears are dependent on your rear end ratio. I've been going through this since changing mine from 2.47 to 3.50. I am at the highest driven gear I can find (21T) and it's still 10% high. I need to either get into the tail shaft and change the drive gear, get a ratio adapter (easier and prob what I'll do), or live with it (what I'm doing now).

If I was in your situation, with access to the tailshaft, would doublecheck what the stock application was with that transmission and your rear end ratio. The goal should be to put a drive gear that will put the range in the middle of the range if possible so you have some adjustment up or down if you need it.

On my SROD speedo cable, the driven gear does insert on the end with a special C clip, but yours may be different.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:40 AM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Good stuff Jim, Very helpful. Thanks!

Old 08-08-2017, 02:04 PM
Rembrant
Fleet Mechanic
Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts
Hi Guys,

I know this is an old thread, but I'm looking to confirm a couple things.

My truck is a 1984 302 w/3spd manual, and I want to swap in a 5spd.

I have found an M5OD locally that is supposed to have come out of a 1991 F250 2wd pickup with a 302.

In reading earlier in this thread, I see that the trans cross member will have to be moved, and I'm OK with that. I'm also ok with mods to make the hydraulic clutch work.

Will my existing cable speedo work with this trans? (assuming I could change the speedo gears to correct mph if required?)

Can I re-use my existing output shaft and drive shaft, or will they need to be changed also?

Anything else I need to know or be aware of?

Old 08-08-2017, 06:35 PM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Hey Rembrandt, check out my basket case build thread and you'll see what I did. The truck still isn't running yet so the jury is still out as if it will work... we'll see. Actually if your trans is out of a 91 you may be all set- if 92 up there is no provision for speedo cable.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:20 PM
Rembrant
Fleet Mechanic
Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Hey Rembrandt, check out my basket case build thread and you'll see what I did. The truck still isn't running yet so the jury is still out as if it will work... we'll see. Actually if your trans is out of a 91 you may be all set- if 92 up there is no provision for speedo cable.
Thanks Greg,

I just took a read through your thread. Great stuff. I guess if I have to fab a cross member, that's not the end of the world.

Quick Reply: 5spd installation