Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Help warmup faster

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 04:52 PM
crow318
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help warmup faster

I've got an '02 F-250 with the 7.3L, new to me this summer.

I'm in central NY and the coldest its been here so far is 35F. My commute to work is about 11 miles / 20 min. I am basically pulling into the driveway at work when the trans and water get to normal operating temp. I'm sure it will only get worse as the temps drop into the 10's and 20's.

What kind of tricks do you guys have for faster warmups? My Dakota was the same way, and I used to block 1/2 the radiator with cardboard between the A/C condenser. That was good for about 40F and below.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
You can try plugging her in at night and put her on a timer for a few hours. I had my truck plugged in for about 3 hours this morning and the coolant was about half operating temperature when I went to leave this morning.

Different places also make nice little radiator bra/blankets for these trucks which help them warm up in more extreme temperatures.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just plug it in. Buy a heavy duty timer so the block heater comes on about 2-3 hours before leaving. At least it will help get your engine up to operating temps a little bit quicker.

on edit: Lisa beat me to it!

Old 10-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Mua Ha Ha Haha!

Old 10-20-2008, 05:41 PM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Along with plugging it up you can get a DP TUner and tell Jody you want a special warm up tune on your truck. P.S. To folks do not use the high idle to warm the truck up in the morning.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:07 PM
totin_tools
Elder User
Originally Posted by jdecker88
P.S. To folks do not use the high idle to warm the truck up in the morning.
Why is that Justin?

Old 10-20-2008, 07:14 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I don't know where everyone else's manners are, but welcome to FTE. Plugging the truck in will help in the warm up. As noted above, if you buy a light timer so the plug comes on 2 - 3 hours before you leave in the morning, it will save some electricity. You could also let it idle for a couple of minutes. When it's cold outside, the engine will automatically kick in to a high idle until you touch one of the pedals.

Are you worried about getting the truck up to operating temperature, or keeping your but warm? For keeping the but warm, I recommend adding this Heated seats install

Old 10-20-2008, 07:48 PM
Dustycedar
New User
SORRY TO HIJACK
the engine will automatically kick in to a high idle until you touch one of the pedals.
MINE quit doing this also lost cruiz control and any movement of the power windows after the truck is shut off
its a 6 speed

Old 10-20-2008, 07:54 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
OK...Not trying to highjack this thread,but Id like to know why not warm the truck up on DP's high idle setting. Of course we need to run 'em a couple mins. before we engage high idle,but I thought thats what its for.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:56 PM
Dustycedar
New User
ill stand and jump around while i wait for the high idle question also

Old 10-20-2008, 08:07 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Dustycedar
SORRY TO HIJACK
the engine will automatically kick in to a high idle until you touch one of the pedals.
MINE quit doing this also lost cruiz control and any movement of the power windows after the truck is shut off
its a 6 speed
Originally Posted by Dustycedar
ill stand and jump around while i wait for the high idle question also
Too bad you don't post a video of that. I'd like to see it. For your case, I'd recommend you look closely at the CPP (clutch pedal position switch). If you crawl under the dash and stare up at the pedal, you'll see a rod going from the clutch pedal to the firewall. On this rod is a plastic piece about 4" long that has wires on the top of it. Grab this sensor and slide it toward the rear of the truck and let it go. Does it snap firmly back into place against the firewall every time? If the springs inside feel a little weak, or it doesn't snap firmly agianst the firewall, I'd think that is your problem. The springs inside can break and not work properly. When they do they can look like this.

Those 2 springs should just be one solid spring going from end to end, instead of looking like a few springs pieced together. You might want to pull yours out and take a look. I believe you can get these for $35 - $40 from the local parts store.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:11 PM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Well thats what I did one day I waited a while before I clicked it into high idle one morning when it was cold. I went down the road a while later and the EBPV valve kept sticking up on me and the truck kept wanting to go into warm up. That is the one and only time that has ever happened. Sorry not to hijack. I could be wrong but that is what happened to me and I was told not to warm the truck up in the morning that way without having it tuned to work with the EBPV.

BTW Crow and Dusty welcome to the 7.3L forum.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Dustycedar
New User
thanks a lot i had that break off a year ago and they fixed it
today the big fat spring that returns the pedal broke in two and hit me in the leg for says i have to buy the whole pedal assembly.
even napa cant get the spring what a bummer.
any hints thanks for helping the newby

Old 10-20-2008, 08:16 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jdecker88
Well thats what I did one day I waited a while before I clicked it into high idle one morning when it was cold. I went down the road a while later and the EBPV valve kept sticking up on me and the truck kept wanting to go into warm up. That is the one and only time that has ever happened. Sorry not to hijack. I could be wrong but that is what happened to me and I was told not to warm the truck up in the morning that way without having it tuned to work with the EBPV.

BTW Crow and Dusty welcome to the 7.3L forum.
Interesting. Did you happen to shoot an email to Jody and share this with him? Since the truck will kick in to high idle without the aid of DP on a cold morning, I was surprised at your comment. Of course, Jody could tell you a lot more about this than I could.

And you are correct. Welcome to FTE guys.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:25 PM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

I remember he told me he made a start up and warm up tune specificly for a few guys once.

Quick Reply: Help warmup faster