Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Coolant Leak

Hey Guys,

My friend has a 2000 SD with the 7.3 it has a coolant leak...sometimes. I pressurize the system and no leak. he drives it and sometimes it leaks. I noticed the top of the lower coolant hose is wet...sometimes. i was wondering if maybe the hose is breaking down and seeping through the rubber. I thought maybe the water pump but figured that would leak all the time and when it does leak I cant see anything from the pum. The inside of the water pump pulley is dry and has no signs of coolant leaking out the front. This ones got me stumped. I dont want to do the pump if it doesnt need it. I just wish it would leak and be done with it. If it were my truck I would know what it needed...head gaskets Sorry its a 6.0 thing. Anyother spots I should check. Oh yea its got about 114,000 miles on it.

Thanks again,

Sarge

Old 10-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In this diagram:

Powerstrokeshop.com

...if the lower neck of the w/p is the two piece style like illustrated, then that o-ring is known to fail over time and a place to look for a leak. Could also be the hose is bad like you suggested. Also look to see if it's the weep hole on the pulley neck of the pump - hard to see - but the fan can blow the water around to fool you.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
The thermostat housing looked kinda rusty too. I am not convinced that its the weep hole in the water pump cause the inside of the pully is completely dry and shows no sign of it leaking. We are going to keep an eye on it since its not doing it all the time. I am thinking though that it is the hose. I dont want to throw parts at it I want to be 100% sure I get it fixed right for him

Thanks,

Sarge

Old 01-21-2009, 09:03 PM
oledriller
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to replace the oil cooler housing/block on my 2000 7.3 PSD 5 speed Manual. Same problem, thought it was the water pump. It would only leak while the engine was running and barely drip while parked. Man, was that a chore. Took a full eight hours. You could see how it was corroded and just about ready to explode. I would not call myself a mechanic by any means, but next time I will let a pro do it.

My PSD would bought off the showroom floor in Ft. Worth Texas. It is one of the last of ten trucks made in Kentucky. It has a special decal on the windshield and under the hood celebrating this. It came specially equipped with twin turbos and a special chip with all the blessings of Ford. The first time I took it to the dealer for a cam sensor recall they accused me of modifying the engine. I told them to call Ford. They did and had to talk to a factory tech for hours about the turbos and chip settings. There is not a Dodge or Ford diesel in N. Texas that can outrun this truck top end. I've broke the speedometer twice and red lined the crank many times. Besides the cam sensor, replacing a clutch (missed 4th gear once) and the oil cooler I've had no problems in 230K miles. It is a plain jane black Lariet that will literally light up the tires from a dead stop. I've been a Ford owner all my life and must say that this is best truck I've ever owned.

You've probably heard it before but, "I'd rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy"

Old 01-21-2009, 10:31 PM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Originally Posted by oledriller
I had to replace the oil cooler housing/block on my 2000 7.3 PSD 5 speed Manual. Same problem, thought it was the water pump. It would only leak while the engine was running and barely drip while parked. Man, was that a chore. Took a full eight hours. You could see how it was corroded and just about ready to explode. I would not call myself a mechanic by any means, but next time I will let a pro do it.

My PSD would bought off the showroom floor in Ft. Worth Texas. It is one of the last of ten trucks made in Kentucky. It has a special decal on the windshield and under the hood celebrating this. It came specially equipped with twin turbos and a special chip with all the blessings of Ford. The first time I took it to the dealer for a cam sensor recall they accused me of modifying the engine. I told them to call Ford. They did and had to talk to a factory tech for hours about the turbos and chip settings. There is not a Dodge or Ford diesel in N. Texas that can outrun this truck top end. I've broke the speedometer twice and red lined the crank many times. Besides the cam sensor, replacing a clutch (missed 4th gear once) and the oil cooler I've had no problems in 230K miles. It is a plain jane black Lariet that will literally light up the tires from a dead stop. I've been a Ford owner all my life and must say that this is best truck I've ever owned.

You've probably heard it before but, "I'd rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy"
Man oh man would I love to see a pic of that engine bay!!! Ford Factory Hot Rod PSD!!! Please please snap us some pics!!!

Old 01-21-2009, 11:06 PM
05chop
Elder User
Originally Posted by Sarge261
Hey Guys,

My friend has a 2000 SD with the 7.3 it has a coolant leak...sometimes. I pressurize the system and no leak. he drives it and sometimes it leaks. I noticed the top of the lower coolant hose is wet...sometimes. i was wondering if maybe the hose is breaking down and seeping through the rubber. I thought maybe the water pump but figured that would leak all the time and when it does leak I cant see anything from the pum. The inside of the water pump pulley is dry and has no signs of coolant leaking out the front. This ones got me stumped. I dont want to do the pump if it doesnt need it. I just wish it would leak and be done with it. If it were my truck I would know what it needed...head gaskets Sorry its a 6.0 thing. Anyother spots I should check. Oh yea its got about 114,000 miles on it.

Thanks again,

Sarge
SARGE? How much coolant are we leaking or how much are you adding should I say? Does your oil stay on the full mark? Need more info on this subject please. Sort of sounds like cold water leaks which need to be taken care of soon.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:31 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
He's leaking about 1/2 gallon a week. It only seems to leak after it warms up then he parks it. It will have about a 5 gallon bucket pail top puddle under it. It may do this everytime he drives it...or maybe every other time. Its not consistant...thats the problem. Everytime I pressure test the system it doesnt leak. He has been driving it so thats the scoop for now.

Like everyone else I would love to see pics. of that truck as well. I think its great that Ford did that to a few of the 7.3's I wish I would have know I would have tried to buy one back then.

Sarge