Sponsored by:

TigerDan's Offroading Experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 08:43 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
TigerDan's Offroading Experience

This has all made for some interesting reading...I've never posted in here before, for several reasons. One, and probably the most important one, is that I'm relatively new to wheeling. While I've had 4WD vehicles on and off most of my life, my wheeling has been relatively tame and confined to driving mostly stock vehicles down dirt and mud backroads and climbing hills where I'd find them. I've only been wheeling a bit more seriously for a little less than a year.

Another is that I don't wheel a Ford (don't worry, I don't wheel a Dodge or a Chevy either!) Not that I have anything against them (not at all!) I just wound up with something...a little different!

And lastly...I run BFG A/Ts and actually like them...!

I may poke around in here from time to time, though I do go to a smaller site that's specific to the kind of truck I run, and I like the fact that (as several of you have mentioned) it's mostly local to me and I know a lot of the guys in there personally. It has the added benefit of my not being a moderator there, so I can ask stupid newb questions (and those guys don't generally flame!)

But it's nice to see that this forum has the promise of being a little kinder and gentler than it has in the past.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:48 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TigerDan
I'm relatively new to wheeling. While I've had 4WD vehicles on and off most of my life, my wheeling has been relatively tame and confined to driving mostly stock vehicles down dirt and mud backroads and climbing hills where I'd find them. I've only been wheeling a bit more seriously for a little less than a year.
sounds like you need to haul your rig over here to the East coast and let us country boys show you how its done in the mud and on the rocks

COME AWN WIT IT!

-cutts-

Old 10-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Truckin4life
Street Queen to the extr3m3
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tiger dan... Dont be shy, feel free to ask questions.... If i may ask what kinda rig do you wheel, as for the bfg's they are probably great for the wheeling that your doing now... The farther you get sucked into it though, you will realize that a better off road tire will be needed. I understand the local forum thing too. It is nice having a face to go with the SN. along with actually being able to get out and meet the folks you been talking to.

Once again, dont hesitate to ask any questions. Im not real big on flaming people. I may come off as harsh some times, but it is usually to make a very strong point, the point involving your personal safety or the safety of others around you.

We all have to start off somewhere....

Old 10-01-2008, 08:57 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
I already see the need for something a little better than the BFGs, I just like them as multi-purpose tire. I've taken a few trips of many hours to get to where we were wheeling and it's nice when your tires don't make too much road noise. It gets old after a while. And my truck is my DD as well...

As for the mud and rocks, we've got those a-plenty out here. Every place i've been wheeling in the Sierra has been plenty rocky, and despite what they say, it does rain in California. My county turns into one giant mudhole in the winter...

And as for my truck, the company that built it was owned by Ford until it was sold just a few months ago. The pics below were taken on a trail only about 30 miles from the Rubicon:

Attached Images    
Old 10-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Truckin4life
Oh i was expecting a toyo or something, range rovers are pretty good wheeling rigs in stock form....

Dont hesitate to post up questions if you got any, we are "newb" friendly around these parts! By newb i mean new to the off-road scene or just new to the forum and posting up.

Either way, dont hesitate to ask.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:34 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess, based on your pictures, that I do tame wheeling too I enjoy wheeling more for the scenery than the challenge. That is why my rig is overbuilt- not much of the type of wheeling I do is challenge.

Kind of a cool thing about our sport. There are many ways and levels to do it, and each can be enjoyable.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Truckin4life
Yea you dont need a 40k dollar rock rig to go out and have fun, actually the less money you have into your truck the funner it is.... Cause you dont have to go to some park, or do some crazy trail, just to have fun.

Something simple and not to wild, exactly like what you pictured is fun!!!

Old 10-02-2008, 12:11 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
What's cool is that my rig was a 40K truck new...but I only paid a grand for it. (sometimes depreciation has its good side!) Other than the 2 inch lift and oversize tires, it's pretty much stock. I'll be putting rock sliders and diff guards on along with a little other protection this winter which I'll be building myself, along with a new rear bumper. Got a 9K winch waiting for me in LA if I can ever get down there to pick it up (and if he's already got his replacement for it) and I'd like to add some air lockers as well, but I'm hoping to find some used ones for a bit less money than they go for new. But I continue to be impressed by how capable this rig is in relatively stock form...

I also think maybe we've hijacked this thread enough and should get it back on topic...

Old 10-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Truckin4life
feel free to take the convo to the general chit chat thread.......
what kinda specs on the rig?

Old 10-03-2008, 03:43 PM
davethecow
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey dan was that the dusey trail...Kinda looked like fordyce but you guys are not running winches.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:01 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Those pics were taken on the Slickrock trail off of Hwy. 4:

Slickrock Trail

We make it a policy that there's always someone in the group with a winch on one of these trips, and in fact about half the guys (or more) on any given trip usually have winches. We try to stagger people in the group according to experience and winch placement.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:06 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
That is smart. I am sure it also helps the less equipped/experienced feel more confident that the group is there for them.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Carlene
Admom
Received 188 Likes on 116 Posts
This is another clean-up from the Moderating & Posting thread.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:52 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Oops, sorry Carlene, I meant to do that...things just got away from me around here over the weekend...! But it started out relevant...

Old 10-07-2008, 09:38 PM
iggybob44
Post Fiend
Hey Dan,are you talking about slickrock trail departing from the western end of Lake Alpine up in Alpine County? you mention Hwy 4,so that sounds like the most likely spot! ive done a little minor wheelin up that way,there are a number of beautiful trails off hwy 4,with the smaller population,that area gets less pressure than a lot of other sierra spots. I was just up in that area,last week! no real 4 wheeling,a little driving on river beds and dropping lake shores,a fishing trip primarily!

Quick Reply: TigerDan's Offroading Experience