2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynamat question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Supercrewzin01
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dynamat question

Which Dynamat product will work best under the cab exposed to the elements?

Old 10-02-2008, 11:51 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Hmmm...not too sure. Why are you putting it underneath, may I ask?

Old 10-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Supercrewzin01
Senior User
1.) I don't want to take apart the interior to lay it out (call me lazy I guess).
2.) I noticed under the truck there is not much shielding from the manufacturer.

If there isn't anything out there I will have to remove the interior to do it, just trying to save some time.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
You'll find that laying on your back trying to stick that stuff on without it getting all over your exhaust, driveshaft, over the tranny, over the transfer case etc. etc. that undoing the few bolts that hold the seats on, a few trim pieces will be WELL worth your time.

I've gutted every vehicle I've ever soundproofed. It really takes no time at all. It's also a great time to really clean the carpet. It dries much faster hanging up in the sun!

Old 10-03-2008, 06:28 PM
canstacker
Senior User
I used some left over dynamat extreme to seal around the power line I ran under the pasager side. It has held up well and I added more on the open flat areas to help dampen the sound of gravel pinging around. Make sure to clean the area and don't seal any of the drain holes. Don't cover any unpainted metal, could rust... As Monsta says it's best to take everything out and do the interior. I did all four doors, behind the back seat and behind the dash and firewall. Pulling the headliner on a screw is problematic, so didn't do that. I did put some under the carpet up front, but have thick mats all around that dampen any sounds. Overall I've been very happy with the amount of sound dampening, helps the stereo out and kills road noise.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:44 AM
weazel
New User
Old 10-05-2008, 10:50 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
I'm playing around with my soundmeter and I measure about 84dB @70mph on the freeway in the cabin of my screw with all the windows closed.

If I want the biggest bang for the buck, where should I dynamat first to quiet things down? The rear door sheetmetal? Seems like most of the road/wind noise is coming from the back somewhere.

thanks

Old 10-06-2008, 05:45 PM
canstacker
Senior User
Originally Posted by aquaman
I'm playing around with my soundmeter and I measure about 84dB @70mph on the freeway in the cabin of my screw with all the windows closed.

If I want the biggest bang for the buck, where should I dynamat first to quiet things down? The rear door sheetmetal? Seems like most of the road/wind noise is coming from the back somewhere.

thanks
I did the doors first and was really impressed with the improvment. Semi's can blow right by and I barely notice. When I did behind the rear seat I didn't notice as much. There are two vents behind the seat that let in some noise, can't do much for that. So I just crank up my mtx thunderform sub and no more road noise, except my own...